Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my New 2018 Adventure Sports. The bike is great except when accelerating quickly, sometimes I have a problem shifting from 3rd to 4th. I had a similar issue with my CBR250R going from 2nd to 3rd. The way it feels is I pull up the gear shifter and it does not click/ clunk into the next gear, I have to let out the clutch while remaining in the same gear which is jerky, then I try again and it clicks right into place like it should. Whenever I have this issue, it always shifts up to 4th on the second try. I have never tried double tapping it while the clutch is still pulled in, but this might work as well.

I know oil has an affect on how your shift works, but this bike had 0 miles when I bought it and I've only put about 50 miles on it when this issue started to occur. Is this a symptom of the oil the dealer used for the break-in period, or maybe the oil contamination from the first 50 miles? Anyone else have any idea or had this issue too? Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My bike, from the dealer, had too much slack at the chain. And became even more slack over the first month or so. I like mine at about 50mm too, though. Definitely the sweet spot.

Gary

·
Registered
239 Posts
Another thing to think about is your shifter position. I had the problem when I changed boots and found that the thicker toe was holding the shift lever up to the extent that it was not resetting to take the next step.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another thing to think about is your shifter position. I had the problem when I changed boots and found that the thicker toe was holding the shift lever up to the extent that it was not resetting to take the next step.
Good point! It took me a few tweaks to get my shifting as smooth as I felt it should be on my ATAS: first was to fix the chain slack - put it at 48mm with about 250 miles on the bike and it self-adjusted over the next 250-500 miles or so to about 50mm (worked itself in), where I try to keep it now. It stays there pretty well now with some miles on the bike/chain (but allow for some slackening of the new chain the first 500 miles or more). And second was adjusting my shifter - took it off and moved it one spline (that was about a full inch of difference at the shifter knob where I was then able to fine tune with the adjuster rod) and it works like a charm for me now. (I have big feet).

Good luck, Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts