Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a genuine Honda acc socket and a USB iPhone charger and it won't charge as quick as it can use power even on airplane mode. Is this normal? It's not the charger as I can charge my phone with the same one in my UTE.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I asked about this quite while ago to a mechanic friend of mine. I believe what the explained to me is that the Honda socket is very low amps ( 2-4) and I was considering a higher amp socket. I have seen similar complaints that the OEM socket will not charge some electrical devices. Someone with a little more knowledge of electricity will have to guide us on this one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The charger I was using was also a 2A charger so should have still run an iPhone charger. Anyway might contact my dealer.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I put a Belkin USB adapter into that power outlet and got it charging my iPhone. I think the iPhone can charge at different rates depending on the input amperage - I seem to remember reading about the differences between the chargers available on a Mac forum.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a Belkin USB adapter into that power outlet and got it charging my iPhone. I think the iPhone can charge at different rates depending on the input amperage - I seem to remember reading about the differences between the chargers available on a Mac forum.
might try that. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, change the USB device, there is an awful lot of crap ones out there. I have had quite a few unable to stay on top of charging my iPhone, especially when using nav. 2A should be more than enough for a phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, I had the 12v socket fitted from new from the honda dealer a few weeks back. I only bought a givi carrier this week for my iPhone so only tested it this week and also noticed when using the maps feature on the iPhone as a sat nav it couldn't keep up with the phone and it drained the battery quite quick !!! It was a belkin USB adapter I was using!! Any other fixes available?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine is wired direct to battery, always hot. I have had no trouble with my GPS but I have not used my phone with it. When I get home next week I'll give it a try. I have a dual adater so I will plug in both at the same time. That should show a problem if I have one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've wired the top case from a PC8 power supply with an SAE cable and into the top case. Optimate O20 passthrough connect, SAE to cigarette adapter in case with Belkin USB adapter and it works great. Phone is tucked away in the top case, charges and I listen to music through Bluetooth to my headset.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wired one of these into the power accessory wire behind the headlight fairing and it seems to have no problem charging my pixel phone while navigating. It even fits the stock socket hole.

BANDC PJH-RS-0123 Power Outlet Dual USB Charger Socket 2.1A 1A for iPad iPhone Car Boat Marine Mobile http://a.co/e1SGeJy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts