Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, new to this forum, My name is Lee from the north midlands in the UK.
Bought myself an 18 adventure sport to use for rallys, not the ideal bike I know but I like the bigger bikes. I recently did the Sahari rally in Algeria which was the first time I rode the bike off road, I will put a video of me on the rally in the video section. The bike was good but the front abs was a bit of a pain (rear was turned off) If on rough ground and went to pull the front brake lever some times it would not come back as if the abs was activated, not a big problem once you get used to it but I am thinking the abs was being activated by the rough ground?
I am looking to remove the front (and rear if possible) abs, looks easy enough to just bypass the block connector by the headstock but no doubt that will cause issues with the abs electronics, Any ideas?

Also each time I got stuck in the dunes and had to lean the bike on its side or dropped the bike I had to turn the ignition off wait a while turn it back on again then reset the traction control then turn off the rear abs, I know on other bikes you can get a "dongle" to save the settings, can you get one for this bike?

Looking at doing the Africa eco race or Intercontinental rally in janurary.

Thanks Lee.

Will not allow me to post a link to a video.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've watched your video Lee and I'm a fan. I've had the same thing happen with my ATAS offroad. I'm not sure it is an ABS thing though. It feels like the lever is bound up or something.
I think you are using the wrong tool for the job but I applaud it. Why use a scalpel when there's an axe handy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I believe you're not going to have much joy defeating the ABS. The wheel sensors tell the ECU when the wheels are turning, so if they don't report, it probably won't go very far. The engine management would be quite confused, and you'd lose the speedo. As far as the ABS feel goes, when I've activated it, I never felt it in my hand, just a vibration in the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've watched your video Lee and I'm a fan. I've had the same thing happen with my ATAS offroad. I'm not sure it is an ABS thing though. It feels like the lever is bound up or something.
I think you are using the wrong tool for the job but I applaud it. Why use a scalpel when there's an axe handy.

Thanks, The abs seems fine on the road so doubt it is a lever problem. I have enduro bikes but mostly seem to end up on the bigger bikes "What will do a lot will do a little" :smile2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you're not going to have much joy defeating the ABS. The wheel sensors tell the ECU when the wheels are turning, so if they don't report, it probably won't go very far. The engine management would be quite confused, and you'd lose the speedo. As far as the ABS feel goes, when I've activated it, I never felt it in my hand, just a vibration in the bike.

Yes confusing the engine management system is what worries me, could srart all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be in the Arfica Eco Race on this same bike, scrutineering near monaco on 28/29th december, start ramp in monaco on the 30th then down to sete and on a ferry for 36 hours, get off the ferry on Jan 1st and the rally proper starts, short program on eurospoer each night and facebook live each night.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just bulit a cable bridge with fuse and a one switch (on -off ) on your ABS main fuse. You will be able to switch on and off the whole , without loose TC , speedo and if a DCT shifting points
(will be also easy write in the signature which kind of bike owned )

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll be looking into as well as i also like bigger bikes off-road, if there is a switch to turn rear abs off it has to be a way to turn off front too.
Dongle for permanent disconnect is welcome.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just bulit a cable bridge with fuse and a one switch (on -off ) on your ABS main fuse. You will be able to switch on and off the whole , without loose TC , speedo and if a DCT shifting points
(will be also easy write in the signature which kind of bike owned )
not really difficult...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts