Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think that we should have a subscriber version that does away with the crap adds ... they drive me nutz .... other forums have a 10 pound subscritpion service that eliminates all the ads

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts
Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm all for supporting websites with a subscription. That being said if you use Chrome - AdBlock and you'll see no ads on any website.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone think that we should have a subscriber version that does away with the crap adds ... they drive me nutz .... other forums have a 10 pound subscritpion service that eliminates all the ads
Get Tapatalk from the Google Play or Apple iTunes stores and you don't get any ads.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
478 Posts
Get Tapatalk from the Google Play or Apple iTunes stores and you don't get any ads.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Is it only me who hates tapatalk app?

I despise the user interface that much that if I see a forum using it, sometimes they only let you use tapatalk, then that’s the end for me with that forum or group!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
I don't hate Tapatalk. "Hate" is a strong word and maybe overkill for an inanimate mobile app.

I just don't want my life to be hyper-connected, however when I do connect (Example: Not using Tapatalk), it is quite enjoyable reading what members have to share.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't hate Tapatalk. "Hate" is a strong word and maybe overkill for an inanimate mobile app.

I just don't want my life to be hyper-connected, however when I do connect (Example: Not using Tapatalk), it is quite enjoyable reading what members have to share.
Fair point, it’s just that it’s always seems to be forums ramming the use of tapatalk down your throat.

And I don’t object to paying for premium, but they are doing the classic bait and switch, they push you down the free tapatalk app, but the real goal of to get you to use the paid for premium model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fair point, it’s just that it’s always seems to be forums ramming the use of tapatalk down your throat.

And I don’t object to paying for premium, but they are doing the classic bait and switch, they push you down the free tapatalk app, but the real goal of to get you to use the paid for premium model.
It's not baiting it's giving you a free experience and then having to pay for the real thing. Why should a good product be free, how does that keep the company running who produces it?
It either pays for itself with ads etc or you pay and seriously it's so **** cheap if you can afford a motorcycle you can afford this.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Is it only me who hates tapatalk app?

I despise the user interface that much that if I see a forum using it, sometimes they only let you use tapatalk, then that’s the end for me with that forum or group!
I like Tapatalk. I use it 80% of the time. Partly because I am usually accessing from my phone, but I actually prefer the interface to the web one. If I had my druthers I would make the web site perform more like Tapatalk. But that's probably just me :)

As far as forums. Which forums are pushing people toward Tapatalk? Certainly not this one. I have heard the suggestion to use Tapatalk from various forum members, but I believe VerticleScope would actually prefer you didn't.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like Tapatalk. I use it 80% of the time. Partly because I am usually accessing from my phone, but I actually prefer the interface to the web one. If I had my druthers I would make the web site perform more like Tapatalk. But that's probably just me :)

As far as forums. Which forums are pushing people toward Tapatalk? Certainly not this one. I have heard the suggestion to use Tapatalk from various forum members, but I believe VerticleScope would actually prefer you didn't.

Nope it’s no one on here, I like this forum just the way it is, please don’t change.

It’s two of my other hobbies , radio control modeling, but mostly the Car racing and Curiously the electric forums and not the Gas and IC community that push the use of tapatalk.

Each to their own I guess, as a senior software professional for over 30 years, I’m old school , we hate it when we feel like we are being pressured into using a new UI and user experience process. 🤓🤓😇😇

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Nope it’s no one on here, I like this forum just the way it is, please don’t change.
We don't really get a say in it, but now that everything is switched over to XenForo, I don't expect VerticleScope will make any major changes. What we have now should remain relatively constant for the foreseeable future.

We all had to learn that new UI and user experience during the switch over though, so I know where you are coming from. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts

It’s two of my other hobbies , radio control modeling, but mostly the Car racing and Curiously the electric forums and not the Gas and IC community that push the use of tapatalk.

Each to their own I guess, as a senior software professional for over 30 years, I’m old school , we hate it when we feel like we are being pressured into using a new UI and user experience process. 🤓🤓😇😇
I guess there is always command line based, which is possible some may like. :oops:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I guess there is always command line based, which is possible some may like. :oops:
Funny I am from a mainframe and PC-DOS ( before we all had MS Dos!) and command like was all we knew.

I can still remember all the Config SSP commands from my IBM System 370, System 38 and AS 400!

What a sad old act I am!
🤓🤓😉😉

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Funny I am from a mainframe and PC-DOS ( before we all had MS Dos!) and command like was all we knew.

I can still remember all the Config SSP commands from my IBM System 370, System 38 and AS 400!

What a sad old act I am!
🤓🤓😉😉
Unix/Linux folks still live and breath the command line today.

The world runs on Linux, not iOS, and arguably a little of Windows Server. Even the latest Windows have built-in Linux visors and a supporting command shell. iOS is derived from Unix, from which Linux is derived.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
188 Posts
There is actually a problem with Tapatalk, which doesn't help the website at all.

For us unpaid members, the ads support the site. Tapatalk takes those ads out of the mix, replacing thiem with their own - or if you have paid for Tapatalk, none. Use of Tapatalk essentially doesn't help your favourite forum sites.

I imagine that soon, much like many of the mainstream media companies, Verticalscope will put a restriction on adblockers on their sites to maintain the revenue stream. Buy the premium membership if you want to sponsor and not see ads.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
There is actually a problem with Tapatalk, which doesn't help the website at all.

For us unpaid members, the ads support the site. Tapatalk takes those ads out of the mix, replacing thiem with their own - or if you have paid for Tapatalk, none. Use of Tapatalk essentially doesn't help your favourite forum sites.

I imagine that soon, much like many of the mainstream media companies, Verticalscope will put a restriction on adblockers on their sites to maintain the revenue stream. Buy the premium membership if you want to sponsor and not see ads.
Exactly. That is why I mentioned above that VerticleScope would actually prefer you didn't use Tapatalk. They lose the ability to control the content to their own paid advertisers.

They actually did restrict Tapatalk at one time. I remember at one point losing the ability to use Tapatalk to access VS forums. If I recall at that time they had their own Motorcle.com app, which was "Powered by Tapatalk," but not as intuitive. They eventually did away with the Motorcycle.com App and relaxed that restriction. Who knows when/if they will lock it down again. They don't keep us in the loop on those things.

There are a lot of sites these days that force you to disable your ad blocker or whitelist their site in order to access it. So far VS has not done that either. It may come at some point, it may not. I am a Premium site member anyway, so none of it really affects me whether I use Tapatalk or the web.

But one organizational feature which I do prefer about Tapatalk is the Headers for Timeline, Unread, Subscribed, Participated. On the web, you can get to the timeline under the "New" heading and "subscribed" and "participated" by clicking your profile picture and selecting "following." This will allow you to quickly access discussions that you followed or participated in. But I don't find it as convenient as having those headers across the top of the page as I do in Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts