Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
My understanding is that you can add it up until the 1 year warranty expires.
You can also buy it from an online dealer if you want to price shop.

My dealer pushed a third-party warranty that cost more than the factory extension so I passed.
I might consider it later depending on how it goes during the first year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got the 5 yr extended on the last day of my regular warranty..... the bike will probably last forever but I just wanted peace of mind in regards to the DCT
I thought I was a day early.... LOL
What a relief, I was able to add it
$800 for 5yrs peace of mind, I think is worth it

·
Registered
53 Posts
I added the 5 yr as well for my DCT version, but probably wouldn't have done so if I'd bought the manual model. Just figured if anything went wrong with the DCT in this type of service, I was prudent to have the extended.

43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips folks, I was leaning towards it given the A-Twins "Magic Voodoo Box". I am fired up to drop off the old DR650 this weekend and step into post soviet era technology.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got the 5 yr extended on the last day of my regular warranty..... the bike will probably last forever but I just wanted peace of mind in regards to the DCT
$800??? The dealer I was talking to today wanted $1500 for the five year warranty, which he said was discounted...

But they were knocking $800 off the $13,999.oo list price, before he quoted me the warranty price.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In U.K. We get two year warranty as standard. At 12 months and 6500 miles my AT has had two new wheels, new fuel tank, heated grip controller (no better) and "set" switch cluster..... I would look very hard at that extra warranty if it's as little as $800 !

·
Registered
465 Posts
If only you knew the actual cost of the insurance. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
$800 extra for the peace of mind , especially for DCT - I think it's worth it . Probably nothing ever will go bad , but it's like carrying the umbrella on a sunny day in Chicago ... you never know :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
If only you knew the actual cost of the insurance. LOL
Seeing these much lower prices has me wondering.

Unless my salesman comes down, I will be shopping it.
Bhart89 what is the name of the dealer you got your insurance thru?
Anyone else get 48 months for under $1000, please give us some dealer names.

OK, Extended warranty priced at $850.

I was wrong. $1500 was for the 48 month additional insurance PLUS registration, taxes and tags

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did an extra 48 mos for a total of 5 years. It was around $800. I've had good luck with bikes over the years but there have been a few things an extra warranty would have helped deal with - mostly around fit and finish (rust, flaking paint). It's fairly cheap insurance if you use it even once considering how expensive shop time is these days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Extended warranties are widely used in the automotive and consumer goods industries to extract more profit from sales, with hefty commission payments to the dealer. The reality is that the vast majority of customers will never make a claim. Of those unfortunate enough to claim, many will be rejected by 'exclusions' clauses. Car and bike policies nearly all require you to stick rigidly to an expensive main dealer servicing programme, another nice earner for the dealer. Yes, there will be some - a small minority - who benefit, and yes, they may give peace of mind, but the premiums are expensive. You could buy a lot of extras for the bike with that kind of money. You're buying a Honda at the end of the day, what more peace of mind do you need? Now, if it was a BMW or a Harley......!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Terrific...where?
I'd be interested to know that as well.

Here are the list prices.
Hey guys, just to clarify, looking at your chart.... I got the coverage WITHOUT roadside assistance... Also, a majority of Warranty products are 100% mark up (atleast for the auto industry), so if the list price is 1,000 the cost is somewhere around 500.
The dealership I purchased it from is Sportline Power Products in Queensbury NY.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got my Red DCT AT this week. I did not get the EW, yet.

First off, I went to a different dealer than mentioned earlier.
This new dealer was offering a 5 yr EW for almost $900, and it wasn't Honda...
I didn't like the way he was trying to sell it to begin with
Never mentioned it wasn't a Honda product till I took a look
as some brochures to my side and asked about it.

They offered Honda but he wouldn't even tell me the price
because it cost so much more...WTH???
I didn't push because I was at my $ limit anyway.

Just letting everybody know. If, during the buying process
You're working out prices and going over the paperwork and you see
extended warranty and a price, make sure its a Honda product

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello....
I got my EW thru LAcyclesports
$800 for 5 extra yrs < Imara >
And no I am not affiliated with this company but maybe they will give me a t-shirt hahaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts