Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Giannelli full system for my 2020 CRF1100L on Ebay from Italy for £712 including postage, I wasn't looking to increase power but to make the bike look and sound better and save some weight. I also purchased a Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator for £39.99.
It took five days for the package to get from Italy to UK Customs, then nearly four weeks for it to clear customs! Plus a bill for another £140 for import duties. Total cost £891.99

Before fitting, I took the bike to Dave Wood Racing at Buckingham and ran the bike on the dyno. 96.1 bhp at the wheel.

Fitting it was no trouble, and eveything went together as it should. Although disconnecting the wires to the Oxygen sensors is very fiddly!

The new system certainly looks tidier and it weighs 3.0 kg less than the original.
The Servo eliminator box replaces the servo and its cables and fits nicely next to the fuse block

So having finally prized my new exhaust from the clutches of UK Customs, what difference has my £891.99 made to the performance?

The dotted line is the standard system, the green line is the new Giannelli system. 92.7 bhp at the wheel.

It looks better, it sounds superb and is lighter. It also runs really well but....
sadly it's lost 3.4 bhp and 3 ft/lbs of torque.

The next step is to refit the stock down pipes and run it on the dyno with just the Giannelli silencer, to see what difference this makes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I recently purchased a Giannelli full system for my 2020 CRF1100L ...
It looks better, it sounds superb and is lighter. It also runs really well but.... sadly it's lost 3.4 bhp and 3 ft/lbs of torque.
And, without the CAT it pollutes the environment more ...

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
455 Posts
I recently purchased a Giannelli full system for my 2020 CRF1100L on Ebay from Italy for £712 including postage, I wasn't looking to increase power but to make the bike look and sound better and save some weight. I also purchased a Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator for £39.99.
It took five days for the package to get from Italy to UK Customs, then nearly four weeks for it to clear customs! Plus a bill for another £140 for import duties. Total cost £891.99

Before fitting, I took the bike to Dave Wood Racing at Buckingham and ran the bike on the dyno. 96.1 bhp at the wheel.

View attachment 63844 View attachment 63845

Fitting it was no trouble, and eveything went together as it should. Although disconnecting the wires to the Oxygen sensors is very fiddly!
View attachment 63846 View attachment 63847

The new system certainly looks tidier and it weighs 3.0 kg less than the original.
The Servo eliminator box replaces the servo and its cables and fits nicely next to the fuse block
View attachment 63848 View attachment 63849

So having finally prized my new exhaust from the clutches of UK Customs, what difference has my £891.99 made to the performance?

View attachment 63850 View attachment 63851

The dotted line is the standard system, the green line is the new Giannelli system. 92.7 bhp at the wheel.
View attachment 63852
It looks better, it sounds superb and is lighter. It also runs really well but....
sadly it's lost 3.4 bhp and 3 ft/lbs of torque.

The next step is to refit the stock down pipes and run it on the dyno with just the Giannelli silencer, to see what difference this makes.
Good to see you tweaking and adding stuff to your new bike Pete!

But what a shame it’s down on power.

Oh and by the way I never voted for Brexit, and wish it had never happened, because just like you every item I purchase now seems to get caught for bloody customs fees! Grrrrrrt! 😠

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But what a shame it’s down on power.

Oh and by the way I never voted for Brexit, and wish it had never happened, because just like you every item I purchase now seems to get caught for bloody customs fees! Grrrrrrt! 😠
I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had been down on power at some point on the graph, but to be lower across the whole range is disappointing. Dave at DWR was also surprised, he said some of the loss may be down to testing on a warmer day, so it wasn’t strictly a level comparison.
next step is to try it again with the standard down pipes and see how that looks.
Getting parts through customs is now a pain, had I ordered from a UK based seller, the final price would have been about the same, but I would have received it three weeks quicker!

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
455 Posts
I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had been down on power at some point on the graph, but to be lower across the whole range is disappointing. Dave at DWR was also surprised, he said some of the loss may be down to testing on a warmer day, so it wasn’t strictly a level comparison.
next step is to try it again with the standard down pipes and see how that looks.
Getting parts through customs is now a pain, had I ordered from a UK based seller, the final price would have been about the same, but I would have received it three weeks quicker!
Yep I hear you on that, it’s a lottery, my recent tail bag purchase for our ABR festival trip out managed to get here from Germany in just three days, and escaped any customs charges thankfully!
Shame about the new system, especially when it cost so much too, it’s does look ace though Pete!

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
331 Posts
I think the engine get a better relief in the exhorts, but it does not help when the standard air cleaners or filters are used 🤢
sadly there are to many censors on a 1100 AT that makes it impossible to mount a Power commander

·
Registered
319 Posts
A power commander will be not a solution ; suggest instead rapid bike module plus DNA air filters

·
Registered
233 Posts
So many things can affect dyno results - dyno type/brand, temp/humidity, gearing/chain tension, tire pressure, etc.

I'd be more interested in seeing the air fuel ratio on both runs. Interesting that Honda says peak power at 7500 rpm while the dyno run shows peak below 7000 rpm before falling flat. With such a flat torque curve, no reason to really rev out either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go straight to Giannelli customer service to see what they recommend.

They should've done some testing during product development.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A 6ºC difference in air temperature is enough to make a jetting change if this were a carbureted bike.
That the bike still runs smoothly is testament to an EFI system's advantages but it can't compensate for the pipe without additional programming, be it from a flash or a piggyback device.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is this a Catless system? I was fiddling with my 2018 ATAS and Arrow Ti full system. Firstly I've run it with small dB killer only, no cat. Bike was a bit jerky and only improvement I've noticed was on the very top end.
After that I've installed CAT and removed dB killer. With CAT I've noticed that bikes runs way smother than with full open system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts