Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently received my Givi upper and lower crash bars with the "ikea" installation instructions (pictures - no words.) Would like to hear from other AT owners that installed these bars. I've seen a post stating the headers and other components may have to be uninstalled.

Would like to hear from others if components had to be removed to successfully install the bars. If you do, would like to hear more about your experience. If you removed components what torque settings did you use when you re-installed the components.

If you were able to install the bars without disassembly (preferred option) would like to hear your lessons learned (what worked well and what was most difficult.)

Look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I discovered that other AT owners were having difficulty accessing the oil dipstick with the Givi crash bars. I sent a Youtube link to Givi showing this issue. On the phone Givi said they were unaware of the issue but later acknowledged the issue in an email to me. The support bar that connects the upper crash bars to the lower crash bars is what gets in the way. They suggested it is easy to remove the support bar for the times you want to check your oil level.

I've had Givi bars in the past and were very happy with them but I opted for something different on my AT due to the dipstick issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the crash bars last weekend. Had to remove the exhaust and skid plate. I put all the mounting brackets on first, on either side of the bike down by the foot pegs, and then in front of the headers, and underneath the front fairing. Trick is to leave everything loose. Bolt everything in just enough so the thread holds it. I actually like that you have to do this, once everything is cinched up tight there's no way it's moving. The bars at the front were a little tough to get together, but easy enough with a little force. Then, do everything up, and either put the exhaust back on, or add the skid plate. The only thing I wanted was for Givi to supply instructions to mount the upper and lower engine guards with the skid plate otherwise you will spend a bit of time undoing stuff and bolting it all back together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts