Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I received my crashbars. I ordered the ones from GIVI...

I read some of you think they are a little bit over the top, and perhaps you are right, but I like them 0:)

Now just missing 2 fog lights in the front which I will install tomorrow

Full Givi gear :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think they look great. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. How was the install? Did you have to remove the exhaust?
2. Can you remove the side panels to get to the air cleaners without removing crash bars?
3. If you cant remove the panels without removing the crash bars do you also have to drop the exhaust to replace air cleaner?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
They look great mate, I really love the look of these.
I'm still in doubt whether to get the givis or touratechs...
Maybe I'll crash it a second time before finally deciding :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. How was the install? Did you have to remove the exhaust?
2. Can you remove the side panels to get to the air cleaners without removing crash bars?
3. If you cant remove the panels without removing the crash bars do you also have to drop the exhaust to replace air cleaner?
1. The installation was not so easy, and yes you have to remove the exhaust and the skidplate to install the engine guards.
+ The upper bars didn't fit 100% so you have to put some power into it.
2. Yes, thank god you can remove the side panels because I am never removing those crashbars :grin2:

@ Wouter, did you crash it badly? I crashed mine with minimum damage so I ordered the crashbars the next day :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
@ Wouter, did you crash it badly? I crashed mine with minimum damage so I ordered the crashbars the next day :)

The left pannier was ruined, and the petroltank had to be resprayed.
Some other bits like the left fairing, indicator, clutch lever and handguard bracket needed to be replaced.
Not replacing all the scuffed bits, I don't mind a scratch here and there, but I was quite gutted with the bike being only a few months old...

Pannier:

I'll probably go for the stainless steel Touratech upper crashbars.
Price wise they are about the same as the givi's, but they can be mounted separately from the lower bars.

The givi's have to be mounted together, right? Or could you go for just de upper once?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Any honest opinions on the fog lights?

My honest opinion is that the AT's headlights are great for forward lighting and where they fall short is when the bike is leaned over in corners. Where you have the lights you'll get even more forward lighting and they might make you more conspicuous to cars but they won't help light up the corners. To do that they need to be mounted higher, like around handlebar height, and pointed outward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's some interesting info. I haven't got the chance to install the electricity and test them so I don't know what practical difference they make.

I assumed they would have the same effect as the fog lights on the GSA, which is very helpful in the dark.

I'm mostly in doubt about their big shape, looked smaller on the website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Wouter, I'm trying to send you a PM but I need 15 posts minimum.
Anyway that sucks man, but believe me, you are not the worst here in Belgium.
I saw one in Antwerp, 4000km old, just installed a full titanium exhaust and crashed it hard offroad, the whole right side was busted, the exhaust was garbage... :eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's strange since we've already send some messages in the past.
Perhaps it's a recently changed setting?!

Crashing always sucks, but if the only solution is to stop riding, I'll gladly take the risk and cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not a fan, But if they are functional and you need them who cares what they look like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll probably go for the stainless steel Touratech upper crashbars.
Price wise they are about the same as the givi's, but they can be mounted separately from the lower bars.

The givi's have to be mounted together, right? Or could you go for just de upper once?

no, you need the lower bars to mount the upper bars ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I assumed they would have the same effect as the fog lights on the GSA, which is very helpful in the dark.
I'm sure they'll be great on straightaways, the issue is when the bike is leaned over going around sharp turns (mountain roads etc), those lights will be pointing too low to illuminate the corners that have been plunged into darkness by the headlight's cutoff.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm sure they'll be great on straightaways, the issue is when the bike is leaned over going around sharp turns (mountain roads etc), those lights will be pointing too low to illuminate the corners that have been plunged into darkness by the headlight's cutoff.
Hi All,
About to buy an AT since I sadly have to sell my Varadero 1000 because of new emissions rules in London. I had bought the Acerbis vision led hand guards for the Varadero but hadn’t installed yet. Thinking of putting them on the AT which will make the bike look wider to oncoming traffic and will turn to illuminate corners with the handlebars. Sort of like adding the fog lights to the hand grip ends. Anyone tried this or used the Acerbis vision guards before?thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there a considered opinion on how Heed compare with Givi, or other makes for that matter. The Heed bunker set price is good, free postage in UK and the exhaust does not need to be touched.

I am about to order a set for my new AT and I am keen to avoid my old enemy ............ buyer remorse!

Comments welcome guys!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Givi products are as good as if not better than anything out there
My experience with Givi stuff is it will work well but might not be as precisely assembled as e.g. stuff from SW Motech. I've had issues fitting various Givi things (one due to an improperly assembled part that got through whatever QA process they have, the rest due to precision of the design or fabrication. I've never had such issues with SW Motech.

My SW Motech crash bars on my AT were an easy install. I had installed Givi crash bars on a different bike before, and they worked very well. But I had to enlarge one of the mounting holes with a drill to get it installed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts