Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has one of these? I am trying to decide between which size. Obviously the larger one would be awesome for the space, but is it too big? Does it look too big? Does the added weight of the larger box make much of a differende?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have it on ATas with M7 base plate (more durable than aluminum 8 or 9. Had to do some diy mounting points to stock rack (simple squared pipe with 2 holes, to adapt to hondas rack). Givi offers additional rack, which is crazy overkill for as simple as shifting couple of cm. Had several jumping offroad sessions, everything is way more solid, than givi adapter.
ps. I have bigger version trekker box and it looks just fine, plenty of space, not too wide from sides, so I don't even notice it while driving. For city riding I would just get something like soft backpack, not smaller box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have it on ATas with M7 base plate (more durable than aluminum 8 or 9. Had to do some diy mounting points to stock rack (simple squared pipe with 2 holes, to adapt to hondas rack). Givi offers additional rack, which is crazy overkill for as simple as shifting couple of cm. Had several jumping offroad sessions, everything is way more solid, than givi adapter.
ps. I have bigger version trekker box and it looks just fine, plenty of space, not too wide from sides, so I don't even notice it while driving. For city riding I would just get something like soft backpack, not smaller box.
So you feel the monolock rack on the existing structure is fine and aren't concerned with it cracking the rear sub frame from fatigue of the metal? That's the way I'm leaning, just was looking for your input since you've already had your on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Givi trekker outback is MONOKEY, not monolock. As for strength, I have had couple of drops and the box held well (bigger box even acted as some sort of crashbar).
ATas rear rack is really strong (since it is designed to lift the bike up, which is way more than M7 plate's carrying capacity).

So, if you make your own adapter for givi plate (any kind), box itself is the limit.

ps. I will post a picture to get an idea how to make givi plate compatible with honda's rack.

Here's my DIY:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Givi trekker outback is MONOKEY, not monolock. As for strength, I have had couple of drops and the box held well (bigger box even acted as some sort of crashbar).
ATas rear rack is really strong (since it is designed to lift the bike up, which is way more than M7 plate's carrying capacity).

So, if you make your own adapter for givi plate (any kind), box itself is the limit.

ps. I will post a picture to get an idea how to make givi plate compatible with honda's rack.

Here's my DIY:
Yes , I meant to say monokey. I knew when I typed it , something wasn't right.;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My riding is all recreational, so city riding is something I prefer to avoid. I have 3 other bikes. Cause I just can't seem to part with them.:) I have a 2000 Valkyrie with over 90k miles , 2013 F6B with 60k miles and a 2019 Goldwing Tour DCT with just over 15k miles. I'm leaning towards the larger box, because, I figure I'll apreciate the added space on my riding trips. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at your picture below. You mentioned the M7 being more durable than the aluminum M8 and 9, but the one in your picture looks like it is plastic. Is that the case?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, it is "plastic". I have not had M8, but purely by givi specifications, load capacity on M8 was 6kg, M7 - 10kg. So naturally I came to a conclusion, that M7 is more durable. And from personal experience - it has some flex, which absorbs abuse. And it is way cheaper, but taller.
If anyone has more experience with M8 plates, it would be nice to hear their opinion.
I looked at your picture below. You mentioned the M7 being more durable than the aluminum M8 and 9, but the one in your picture looks like it is plastic. Is that the case?

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
I have a thick Givi-compatible plate (looks very much like a M7) and put a 55L top box on it. I have overloaded it a many times without issue. However, the treks did not include offroad.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I too have both. And like the post above, day rides, I tend to use the smaller box and on longer trips I use the larger box. I've had this set-up for a couple years now (on different bike as well) and find I use the smaller box 90% of the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the 42l. If I had the larger cases I would Likely carry yet more stuff, I’m a careful packer but yeesh does it all add up. The AT sets the top case up high, if you need more volume I’d look at larger side cases. My wife has a Givi dolomiti top case which I really like but there is no hope for helmet storage. As a side note I moved the trekkers from my previous bike, over 100,000 kms and they have been flawless.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have the monokey version of the 42l box in aluminum mounted to an Altrider rear rack/plate. I use the box for commuting to work and love the smaller size. Just large enough to carry my lunch and laptop.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
6 Posts
An advantage of the 58L box is that when I ride to the city, I can put my helmet, gloves, and tank bag inside and walk away without having to fret about people digging through my stuff and walking away with the good stuff.

At one point, I had a 30L Givi Dolomiti that was great for commuting to work and carrying my messenger bag with laptop. It could also be flipped to be used as a pannier. I liked this piece because it didn't take up a lot of storage in the garage when not in use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Givi Dolomiti 46L Top Case, and the AltRider luggage plate on my 2016. I'm very satisfied with the look of the setup and the utility of having the extra storage that is lockable.

IMG_2084.JPG

I can stick my helmet and jacket in there when it's parked, and my work briefcase and work shoes also fit inside during my commute.

·
Registered
2016 Africa Twin DCT
3 Posts
I have a pair of the 42s, which I used as side cases on my previous bike. Still waiting for the adapter kit for my side rack, but I can use one as a top box. It seems a bit big to me, and I've opted for cheap saddlebags for daily use. I'd consider selling, as I think aluminum would be sturdier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts