Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I started installing my Givi mounts for my new bags and everything went great until I got to the rear mount that goes under the fender. The kit I'm installing is the "quick dismount" kit that has 1/4 turn fasteners that allow you to quickly take the bags and the mounts off. I don't really know why I chose this over the other, solid mount kit, but I did and that's what I've got to work with.

The problem with the rear mount is that the two tabs that supposedly hold up the rear of the bags does not match up AT ALL with the fender. The diagram shows drilling two holes through the fender and then a long bolt goes from the rear seat mount through the fender and that draws the mount up to the fender. The mount appears to be welded incorrectly. The two tabs are at different angles but neither on is even close to being where it should be. It looks like the only way to make it fit would be to heat both tabs up and bend them at least 1/2 inch.

There are also two little brackets that look like they are held on by the turn signals and I can't see that they serve any purpose.

I was looking at this yesterday and I was tired so I'm going over this morning and take another look with fresh eyes and maybe I'm missing something. If I still can't figure it out I'll take some pictures that will perhaps explain it better than I can. I've never had this kind of problems with Givi products before.:crying:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is this the SW Motech rack system for the Givi bags?

If so, make sure everything is assembled, but loosened up so you can allow the tabs that fit into the motorcycle rear subframe to fall as far in as they need. If they are not all the way in, nothing else to the rear will line up. Give that a shot and see how things fall together.

Rob

·
Registered
191 Posts
If I still can't figure it out I'll take some pictures that will perhaps explain it better than I can. I've never had this kind of problems with Givi products before.:crying:
Interesting. I've had fitting problems with Givi hardware several times. In contrast SW Motech stuff always seems fabricated and designed to fit well.

If you haven't solved it in the morning, hopefully sending your photos to Givi will reveal a solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was right about the "fresh eyes." After looking at the directions again I realized I had to drill two 20MM holes in the rear fender so two spacers would fit against the rear seat mount brackets and locate the little bracket I thought was inaccurate. Then I figured out what the two "supports" were for. They move the rear turnsignals back about 3 inches so they don't interfere with the bags.

Lesson learned; Don't start a job like this when you're tired. It all made a lot more sense when I laid out all the parts and fasteners and reallly looked carefully at the pictures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts