Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I should repost this here, on its own, for anyone considering the GIVI Sport Touring Windscreen (D1144ST).

I'm 6’3’’ tall, weigh 195 lbs., inseam about 33/34. I wear a Bell Custom 500 open-face helmet with a standard snap-on visor. I ride the bike with the seat in the high position.

When I first road my 2018 ATAS the buffeting was pretty nasty. My first day riding, around town and down a few back roads was magnificent. But I wasn’t going very fast.

On day two, I went with my brother to visit my cousin at the MC shop where he works and we road the highway at 65 to 70+mph. (Separate bikes, he on his BMW R90S). I found that somewhere around 55-60mph and above I got some erratic buffeting, but more disconcerting was a sort of high-frequency wind effect that caused my eyeglasses to vibrate so fast it was like looking through trick glasses or something. I could see ok, but everything had a high-pitched blurriness to it. Didn’t like it one bit. But I found that if I crouched my head down just *one inch* or so, it was all gone, and I was in a cocoon of peace; all I heard was the wonderful music of that 270-degree cranking parallel twin and exhaust.

First thing I did when I got home was search for options. It was down to some clip-on visors or the GIVI ST. I didn’t much like the look of the add-on visors, so I went with the GIVI, never mind that the clip-ons were more expensive anyway. With the GIVI it looked to me like I would keep the looks of the bike near the same—and I *love* the way the bike looks.

I ordered on Monday and received the GIVI screen the very next day! (With free shipping, nonetheless, I was blown away). Installed and went for a ride.

The difference was nothing short of night and day. The erratic buffeting was gone and most importantly, the high-pitched wind buzzing was gone… nada – smooth sailing at all speeds. Took her out on the highway to over 75mph and the ride was nothing short of delightful. Although I haven’t taken a very long ride yet, I feel like I could go forever on this bike. While riding now, I am very close to being in that cocoon of peace I described above, while sitting in an upright position. I get a bit of wind, but the nice kind: gently whooshing. And I can hear the bike! And see perfectly. I doubt my open-faced Bell is a quiet helmet by any stretch of the imagination, but with this screen the ride is nice and quiet—no need for earplugs. (And I have sensitive ears; by trade I use them and I'm a freak about taking care of my hearing).

I can't say enough good things about this windscreen on the ATAS for taller riders. I think it’s designed well and looks *great* on the bike. It’s significantly taller and wider, top to bottom, and it loses that big, gaping 4 x 4 inch hole that’s on the original—which only seems to help in my case. The cant and contour appear to be about the same as original. It seems aerodynamically well-designed for the bike.

This screen does away with the middle set of well nuts, uses just the top and bottom sets—4 fasteners. But I can tell you, it’s solid; I have seen no flexing in the screen, even at high speeds and it’s a nice secure fit. If it was a concern, you could always drill out the middle holes yourself and fasten there as well.

It might not work as well for everyone, but for me, at 6’3’’ it’s the bee’s knees. Darned near perfection. And it looks *very nice* as well with its black lower masking. And the price makes it a reasonable bid to solve a vexing problem.

I've attached pics showing the original overtop of the GIVI for comparison. And added measurements. And one picture of the screen on the bike as it looks.

Good luck to any who are still trying to solve the buffeting/ buzzing issues.

Best, Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. One question, do the handlebars hit the screen at full lock?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan. When you push the bars all the way, and firmly, they don't hit the shield, but come close--about 5 mm clearance. If you push the bars all the way and let go (so they settle into position), the clearance is about 1 in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts