Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm also looking at soft luggage options. But, as soon as I saw the term water "resistant" I lost interest in these and closed the window. For the relatively high price - asked, there is really no excuse. They should be water "proof". What you are getting is a bag that requires another bag. And to me that's just silly.

I will, more than likely stick with my plan "A" and go for an Ortlieb rackpack. I can live without the external pockets.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also looking at soft luggage options. But, as soon as I saw the term water "resistant" I lost interest in these and closed the window. For the relatively high price - asked, there is really no excuse. They should be water "proof". What you are getting is a bag that requires another bag. And to me that's just silly.

I will, more than likely stick with my plan "A" and go for an Ortlieb rackpack. I can live without the external pockets.

A rollpack is always going to be more waterproof but it also means emptying your kit all over the road searching for something in the bottom of the bag. Is the Ortlieb a tailpack or a rollbag? do you have a link to it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its a holdall.. with a roll top. and is 100% water proof.

Ortleib produce one specifically for Touratech.. but you can also buy them 'plain' and in various colours and sizes. 24L, 31L, 49L and 89L

I used the 89L on my R1100GS as it gave me all the space I needed for camping trips. with just the standard panniers. The bag fitted nicely across the rear seat space and was almost as wide as the panniers, so no overhang. The website shows the smallest bag used on a Bicycle.

https://www.ortlieb.com/us/rack-pack

I need to do some measuring.. but I reckon that the 49L which is 61cm wide, will be perfect. smaller, obviously than the 65L Givi. It rather depends on the width available to you assuming you also have panniers fitted and can utilise them as an extra "platform". The 89L is 71cm wide.

Here is my 89L on the old tractor. I took the top case with me on that trip.. but since then I've not bothered with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Givi is supposed to have a waterproof inner bag but agreed, the outer would get soaked in the rain. It would be perfect for me if it had an additional waterproof storm/rain cover.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent Givi an email asking if a storm/rain cover was available and got this reply...

"we are sorry but as you can imagine there is not a rain cover for an already waterproof bag.
We remind you that the material is developed just to get wet, when you reach the destination you take off the inner bag and carry it with the comfortable shoulder strap.

Kind regards GIVI Staff"

So it would seem that you can leave the wet bag on the bike and take out the waterproof inner?
I need to see one in the flesh I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts