Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this and figure others may have experienced this issue....
I mount my Android phone on a Ram mount. It has a screen protector that has no response issues with my naked finger. However i can't get a screen response with my leather Held gloves.
I wonder if anyone has solved this (not new gloves) with perhaps something I can apply to the finger tip of my leather glove...so I can use it on the touchscreen?

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
Not sure where to post this and figure others may have experienced this issue....
I mount my Android phone on a Ram mount. It has a screen protector that has no response issues with my naked finger. However i can't get a screen response with my leather Held gloves.
I wonder if anyone has solved this (not new gloves) with perhaps something I can apply to the finger tip of my leather glove...so I can use it on the touchscreen?

Thoughts?

These are a temporary solution, though not long-lasting which is why they come with two sets...

GloveTacts V2 Smart Fingertip Touchscreen Pads - Cycle Gear

A similar product

This is another temporary solution that needs to be refreshed periodically and can discolor gloves

This method is more permanent, but the conductive thread is wiry and can be a pain to work with..

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Hmmm.. not sure I would call that whole scenario "bold." :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Me either.

some pics I took while riding...

I was more concerned with dropping the phone..

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
Me either.

some pics I took while riding... View attachment 61960 View attachment 61961

I was more concerned with dropping the phone..
At least you are only a danger to yourself, with no child involved :)

I have only done that with a pocket camera, which I had tethered around my wrist, so it wasn't going to far if I dropped it :)

There are some phone cases that have a loop for a wrist lanyard as well, but I don't find the buttons as easy to access on a phone as I do on the pocket camera.

Now I mostly just set the helmet cam to either take a snap every so many seconds or just push the button on the remote, which is clipped to the front of the tank bag.

·
Super Moderator
5,625 Posts
At least you are only a danger to yourself, with no child involved :)

I have only done that with a pocket camera, which I had tethered around my wrist, so it wasn't going to far if I dropped it :)

There are some phone cases that have a loop for a wrist lanyard as well, but I don't find the buttons as easy to access on a phone as I do on the pocket camera.

Now I mostly just set the helmet cam to either take a snap every so many seconds or just push the button on the remote, which is clipped to the front of the tank bag.

... that or a run of HD (or 4K for other folks) video for a point-of-interest and grab interesting frames from that. On my el cheapo cam I find frame grabs perform much better (at 60 fps video) than its ability to snap stills every so many seconds at a time.

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
Thanks. I read about this. Stitching from inside out?
I may find some thread....as all the other solutions seem temporary.
Stitching from the inside out and making a few loops like that guy has done seems to work well. The key really is if your fingertip makes direct contact with strands of the thread it will work best.

I saw another video where a guy had success using a solution water and graphite powder. But that also would seem to be only temporary and likely to leave smudges on everything you touch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stitching from the inside out and making a few loops like that guy has done seems to work well. The key really is if your fingertip makes direct contact with strands of the thread it will work best.

I saw another video where a guy had success using a solution water and graphite powder. But that also would seem to be only temporary and likely to leave smudges on everything you touch.

Thanks... think I founds decent thread on Amazon but sounds like I may need a larger needle :)

Local Michaels has something but a reviewer indicates it is no conductive...

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
Thanks... think I founds decent thread on Amazon but sounds like I may need a larger needle :)

Local Michaels has something but a reviewer indicates it is no conductive...
Sparkfun Smooth Stainless is one that I see often quoted in "how to's" and runs about $4.50 USD for 12m, which should do quite a few gloves.

Or...

This Indistructables article mentions a few others...

Do make sure with Michael's that it is conductive and not just "metallic"

·
Registered
941 Posts
Some manufacturers have 'touch friendly' designs. My Rev'it gloves have a conductive patch on the index finger of each hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sparkfun Smooth Stainless is one that I see often quoted in "how to's" and runs about $4.50 USD for 12m, which should do quite a few gloves.

Or...

This Indistructables article mentions a few others...

Do make sure with Michael's that it is conductive and not just "metallic"

Will try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLDPV1E/?coliid=I3PUCKV3O7B7CZ&colid=1EWN09P4VIWGC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
I bought some that are branded "Triumph" that do as well. No idea who actually made them.
Hard to say. Triumph, like most brands sources from a variety of manufacturers for their apparel. Some of their gloves for a while were coming from Alpinestars, but I believe those were all branded "by Aplinestars." That said the Triumph Triple Glove looks a lot like an Aplinestars product, so maybe at least some of them still are.

Revit has a few that work fairly well with the "connect" fingers and thumbs. But I found the touch areas on the fingers to be a little too big and too inaccurate for anything other than swipe to scroll or for hitting one of the large buttons on my GPS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Supposedly you can buy Graphite at the hardware store, mix it with Dish Soap, and dab the end of a glove in it, to make the glove work for touchscreens. This was mentioned in the High Side Low Side podcast posted 2 days ago with Ryan from Fortnine. Here's a link - fast forward to 1 Hour 24 Minutes for the part on gloves:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts