Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I will be doing my first oil change. Any suggestions on a good filter? I looked through this section and didnt see another oil filter thread. Surely this has been discussed before. sorry for the repetition:nerd:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Why not use the stock Honda oil filter? Regret I never understand why people don't just buy the OEM part.

BMW guys will spend $30K on the bike, another 10K on farkles, then spend time on forums looking to save $3 on an oil filter, or, after using the non-OEM part, post endlessly about worry they've done damage to the engine.

Use the OEM part and go ride.

·
Registered
728 Posts
just done mine and used a K & N filter you need a KN204 - its a high flow job
High flow usually means less filtration given the fixed size. And, is the pressure relief equivalent to OEM, or is it blowing off and allowing unfiltered oil to critical engine parts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
well all my bikes that i have serviced have had K & N filters on them - for various reasons sometimes cost / sometimes build quality because K & N just do filters so in my mind should be good and so far never had a problem and been riding bikes 37 years now
and a footnote the AT is running smooth and responsive and am getting 3.7 kms /100 at 100km/hr in top on a run - so whats yours like albeit in mph

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mobil 1 and Honda OEM filter

I've been using Mobile 1 since I bought a new VTX1300 in 2003. It was the second bike I bought brand new. (The first was a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre). All the others I bought used. By that time I was using Mobile 1 in all my cars and even my lawnmower. I also spent a lot of time researching oil filters but finally decided to go OEM because they are easier to find.

I'm sure there are many other oils that would be just fine, even dino oils if changed regularly, but the synthetics maintain their performance for many more miles as well as under more extreme conditions. So I don't have to worry if I'm late getting the oil changed or encounter bad conditions when in the middle of nowhere.

Just a little insurance I hope I never need.

Ti04

·
Registered
11 Posts
because in Indonesia is very difficult to get a genuine oil filter and DCT filter, so i go with Honda Vultus filters. It fit properly on mine

·
Registered
295 Posts
I always use OEM for both oil filters in my DCT. I figure if anything goes wrong they can't say I didn't use an OEM filter which caused the problem. The one thing I would say regarding filters, is do not get the type that has the nut on the end which makes it easier to install and remove. I had oil leaking from my Aprilia and found the source was the nut that is attached to the filter. It was leaking at that seam...

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
I always use OEM for both oil filters in my DCT. I figure if anything goes wrong they can't say I didn't use an OEM filter which caused the problem. The one thing I would say regarding filters, is do not get the type that has the nut on the end which makes it easier to install and remove. I had oil leaking from my Aprilia and found the source was the nut that is attached to the filter. It was leaking at that seam...
(+1) The spot welds used to affix the nut appears to compromise the filter casing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts