Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. As everybody knows our ATs have a little hole in the glass bottom. What are your opinion of making the GPS bracket instalation over the bar above the instruments concerning the air flow that is inducted by that hole. Do you think it will influence the air dynamics making riding disturbs?

Thanks for your opinion in this topic.
Diogo

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a zumo 665. what type of mount do you use in this location? A pic would be good.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 mounted there and didn't notice any turbulence at all. Clean air and no buffeting.

·
Registered
792 Posts
As a heads up, it's not a bracket for a GPS and should it break (which has happened to several riders), Honda will not replace it under warranty. Just saying......:wink2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used the small u bolt supplied by Ram along with their shortest extension, this fits perfectly for my Garmin Zumo 390. The Zumo sits solidly without any vibration so, as far as I can tell, no strain on the bar.

Do use protection between the bar and the u bolt though, I used a thin neoprene strip.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Eh, are you being real, or is it a wind up ?
My Zumo 660 sits happily on the bar and there's nerry a shimmy from the bike.

M

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a heads up, it's not a bracket for a GPS and should it break (which has happened to several riders), Honda will not replace it under warranty. Just saying......:wink2:
I went down the Batzen Screen adjuster route and use this unit to mount my Tom Tom to the bike

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've been looking for Honda-based information about this for a while.
The new CRF250L Rally has a similar bar above the instruments and they call it a GPS mounting area. Not sure if it is the same diameter as the AT but one might assume that the bigger sibling is designed to handle equal or more punishment.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Eh, are you being real, or is it a wind up ?
My Zumo 660 sits happily on the bar and there's nerry a shimmy from the bike.

M

Yes, there's several reports of breakages and why I've moved my GPS down to the handlebar clamps. My 590LM I found was quite heavy and did shake around a bit. I'm not saying that everyone's will break, just that I'm not taking the chance. Plus where it is now is closer to me and it doesn't take any more of a glance now it's below the clocks than above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made a mount for my new TomTom rider 500, from a plastic things i bought in the hardware store for under 1$ That are used when mounting windows in building and stuff. I used a router and made a cut in both of the plastic bits.

I think when it sits close to the bar it wont be the same amount of force on the bar as with the RAM mount arm.

Also not much vibrations.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve got the batzen screen adjuster and GPS mount on my 2017 DCT.
I broke one of the mounts last year off road, from all the bouncing.
Had to have it welded, re-inforced both sides and then powder coated.
Would have been cheaper to buy a new one, but it would have failed again.

Looked at mounting my GPS on the handlebars with ram mounts, but I like the mount above the display cluster,
Is easier to read when riding.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I’ve got the batzen screen adjuster and GPS mount on my 2017 DCT.
I broke one of the mounts last year off road, from all the bouncing.
Had to have it welded, re-inforced both sides and then powder coated.
Would have been cheaper to buy a new one, but it would have failed again.

Looked at mounting my GPS on the handlebars with ram mounts, but I like the mount above the display cluster,
Is easier to read when riding.
I too like the display over the cluster which is why I purchased Vlad's windscreen/GPS mount brace for reinforcement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have updated the mounting of my GPS to my own MotoPumps designed mount. The idea was to make the mount as small, light, compact and close to the bar as possible to minimize weight, inertia, vibration, etc. I was happy to eliminate the RAM extension. The mount articulates easily to set the angle you want for the screen.

The mount grips the 12mm cross bar and has an AMPs pattern base plate for horizontal or vertical mounting. The kits I have put together include stainless hardware and allen key for installation.

I have these on my website and have a $10 discount code for the AT community SAVE$10GPS

Rob

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have updated the mounting of my GPS to my own MotoPumps designed mount. The idea was to make the mount as small, light, compact and close to the bar as possible to minimize weight, inertia, vibration, etc. I was happy to eliminate the RAM extension. The mount articulates easily to set the angle you want for the screen.

The mount grips the 12mm cross bar and has an AMPs pattern base plate for horizontal or vertical mounting. The kits I have put together include stainless hardware and allen key for installation.

I have these on my website and have a $10 discount code for the AT community SAVE$10GPS

Rob
Rob,
Just took advantage of your $10 off code for forum members.
Your mount looks simple and effective.
Going to give it a try on my 2017 DCT.
Thanks for putting this option out there for us.
Regards,
Don

·
Super Moderator
2,203 Posts
Camel makes a support bar. I mounted mine to that with a Touratech locking mount..
https://camel-adv.com/products/africa-twin-windscreen-brace
https://touratech-usa.com/Motorcycle-GPS-Mounts

BTW the GIVI windscreen has no ‘hole” and I have no issues, I got tired of the amount of rain that would come up the fairing through that “hole” and spray me.
Lol I thought I had some pics of the GPS mounted, but the last pic was the only one I could find, you’ll have to kinda zoom in to see it tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
AT-Dragon is correct in his recommendation if you are going on a lot of rough terrain. Those that have broken the welds on the windscreen mount tend to be riding hard off-road and the weight of a GPS up there is just to much for the design. The Camel brace on the other hand is more that robust.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts