Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

next weekend I will remove the side pannels of the ATAS to connect the wirings for the GPS and my TPMS. Both are placed on the windscreen bar.

For those that have done similar already, could you please show how you route the cables from the GPS? I mean phycical routing, not electrical connection. The conncetion will be on the OEM socket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't show you but I will tell you. I mounted my garmin zumo on a touratech mount attached to the bar risers. I routed the cables through the same wire loops the throttle, brake and clutch cables go through then down the right side below the tank to under the seat where I mounted the Eastern Beaver PC8. It wasn't the easiest with all the unused cables on the zumo wiring loom but doable. I just rolled up the unused cables to lay under the seat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have an ATAS just the AT, but why not pick up the power from the socket near the front screen.
Shorter run and tidier? apart from fairing removal of course lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
As far as I can tell.. the tech at the dealership simply connected the power lead from my Zumo to the accessory socket that is hiding behind the upper fairing, behind the instruments.

Interestingly.. and I never asked for a reason why he did it this way. The cable exits the mount on its right side and he has it disappearing into the fairing, behind the instruments on the Left hand side.. so the cable loops around the back of mount from right to left. there is a gap that allows it to pass through... nice and tightly.

How it routes from there.. is probably self evident once you remove the screen and panels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason I didn't use the power supply at the front is it was already used by the heated grips and I knew I wanted to use the Eastern Beaver PC8 to power a dash mount USB socket, a pigtail for attaching the battery tender, power for my radar detector and the GPS. I have plenty of room left in the PC8 to add additional lighting, heated clothing outlets or whatever else I come up with in the future. I like that it only requires one addition set of wires to the battery and by using the rear factory power outlet beneath the rear seat it provide 6 outlets that are switched and come on and off with the ignition switch.

I am not pushing the PC8 but am very happy with how tidy everything under the seat is compared to my previous bikes.

Ewell

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.

@Motobiker

this is exactly the photo I was looking for; needed to know if there is space in this area to pass the cable.
Once you’ve got the left fairing off there is ample room for cabling. The difficult part is finding space in the battery compartment for the accessories that need a direct feed. Probably shouldve run a live feed bank of some sort under the seat.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you’ve got the left fairing off there is ample room for cabling. The difficult part is finding space in the battery compartment for the accessories that need a direct feed. Probably shouldve run a live feed bank of some sort under the seat.
Actually there is a live feed under the seat. It is in the 6-pole accessories port bellow the back seat.

Nevertheless, I do not need continuous feed on the GPS when the bike is Off, so the ignition activated feed on the front accessories port is ok for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
While we're on the topic of running wire. I've got the crash bars and the fairings off as I"m installing some D4's. I have a PC8 installed, and while I have things apart I want to run a spare to the front of the bike for future considerations. What gauge wire would you suggest to run up front?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While we're on the topic of running wire. I've got the crash bars and the fairings off as I"m installing some D4's. I have a PC8 installed, and while I have things apart I want to run a spare to the front of the bike for future considerations. What gauge wire would you suggest to run up front?

Depends what loads you expect to install; in general I think AWG16 or AWG14 are more than enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll go with 16, I don't think I'll have anything over 20amps up front.

e

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone install an Eastern Beaver power spliter up front? I've searched high and low and can't find anything. Just curious if it's manageable. I think I've decided to go this route rather than running a line from the PC8 to the front of the bike. I'm going to be using the high beam output on the front option power connector as a trigger for the Denali D4's and using the spliter will give me the option of running power to another accessory up front should I need it. There's not a lot of space up front in which to work either, they really pack that wiring in....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts