Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know, it seems somewhat ridiculous given that our bikes come with Apple Carplay (which, in the current implementation, I have issues with because the call quality sucks, but that's another thread in another section), however my darling wife gave me a new Garmin Zumo XT for Christmas this year. There is good reason - my brother and I are planning a major trip from Calgary to Anchorage ... whenever we can finish the planning and do that. Anyway.

A dedicated GPS, and one that works with my other Garmin devices (including my InReach in pretty incredible fashion!) is something that won't go to waste on longer trips, especially ones where I do route planning. That then leaves the "where the hell to mount it" question.

I've found two options that I like, both of which are, for farkles, pretty affordable. They are the Touratech "Above Instruments GPS Mounting Bracket", and the Givi Fairing Bracket. The Givi unit is half the price after USD->CDN exchange, but the photos look like it may not be as "robust".

Has anyone got any experience with either of these brackets? I'm looking for above-the-dash rather than cluttering the handlebars as I will also likely be fitting a tank bag on the longer trips. Any advice is welcome!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that sticks up WAY more than I thought. I have no doubt that it vibrates.

I see you have a TomTom Rider 550. Is the traffic and my drive stuff still epically broken and TomTom still not talking about it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow that sticks up WAY more than I thought. I have no doubt that it vibrates.

I see you have a TomTom Rider 550. Is the traffic and my drive stuff still epically broken and TomTom still not talking about it?
I find it unusable this way, the gps is too heavy for the bracket. Touratech gives 2 zip ties with it against the vibrations but no better with it... I don't know about the Givi bracket maybe this is better.

Yes it's a TT550, but I don't know much about it (just got it). I had no problem with my drive app yet but like I said I have no experience at all with the GPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone!

I would like to use my gps unit during my trips As a backup device or, in some cases as a primary.
Didn’t know about these brackets you are discussing here and so far wanted to order
this one.

There are another ones like this one

but I prefer the first one because it seems like I will be able to mount unit on that flat plate directly (without additional elements). You mentioned that when you use Touratech bracket the unit vibrates a lot but maybe with this flat plate the whole assembly will be more compact and reduce amplitude of possible vibrations.
Also these products are cheeper and do not look low quality on photos (of course the quality is need to be checked and I will post update If I decide to or

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone!

I would like to use my gps unit during my trips As a backup device or, in some cases as a primary.
Didn’t know about these brackets you are discussing here and so far wanted to order
this one.
Thanks. The link doesn't work and I'm also interested in that first one. Try the link again?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the Touratech mount, it vibrates a lot:( View attachment 60161
View attachment 60161
Could you please take a photo of the back of the gps unit so it will possibly to understand how it mount to bracket? I’m curious of how this kind of mount works. Is it standard mount from tomtom Or custom?

And could you please share how big the impact on the field of view? Of course it depends on hight of the biker but anyway. I would try to fake attach my gps an see, but unfortunately I don’t have access to my bike right now

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could you please take a photo of the back of the gps unit so it will possibly to understand how it mount to bracket? I’m curious of how this kind of mount works. Is it standard mount from tomtom Or custom?

And could you please share how big the impact on the field of view? Of course it depends on hight of the biker but anyway. I would try to fake attach my gps an see, but unfortunately I don’t have access to my bike right now

thanks
@AntonLPF The position is super for me (I'm 1.83m). I see above the GPS, clear view. I think the the touratech mount and the gps bracket works as a lever to the whole dash and that's why there's vibration. On tarmac no problem but bad road or slightly off-road it's is bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Givi mount with Motopump mounting bracket. Works perfectly.
Where did you source the Givi bracket? None of my local dealers that sell Givi even having a listing for it, despite the fact I see in on the Givi website.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Where did you source the Givi bracket? None of my local dealers that sell Givi even having a listing for it, despite the fact I see in on the Givi website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts