Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
The wires were too bulky and it was hard to find space to tuck them out of the way, wasn't using them so I used side cutters to remove them!
I just use the power to power my 595, that's all I need. Audio out is just bluetooth to my Cardo on my helmet and I removed the microphone from that because it was a nuisance with my flip front helmet and I wasn't using it.
I may cut off my input/output/mic wires as well. The way I mounted it, they aren't really in the way, but I think I used the input once for attaching an iPod 160GB to, way back when I first bought it and haven't used them since.

The USB was so long I was able to feed it back to the rear toolbox, so that is what I did with it. I just use it to charge the battery that I use to charge the phones at night while camping.

As for the BMW Heated gear, I haven't seen any gear from them that doesn't use the Powerlet/Helli port or the standard Gerbings coaxial, but I am not that familiar with their stuff either.

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
Does anyone just use a mobile phone device to get their GPS fix and other needs?
I prefer my GPS, it‘s a bigger screen (than my iPhone pro max at least). It plays my music, mutes it and gives me directions then goes right back to playing the music, tells me when I‘m low on fuel and brings up the closest gas stations. Shows me (depending on what features I have turned on) a lot of POI museum’s, food, ATM’s, etc. When tethered to my phone acces to the music on it as well as weather and phone calls.. If I had them, it will even monitor the tie pressure and warm me of low pressure...
LOL the thing is like a personal assistant :D for your motorcycle, but then, the one I own is made for motorcycles..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone just use a mobile phone device to get their GPS fix and other needs?
Scroll up the page a bit and you can see mine.

Using the scenic app as well as waze depending on what I want to do on the road and osmand for off-road.

I’m actually thinking about getting the new Zumo for a dedicated gps. I find the apps like scenic don’t always work the best and pre-planning a trip is a pain.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've tried the phone gps. Ive read everything I could, lots of maps downloaded, apps, I do love Google maps, but I cannot keep my phones from dropping gps signals constantly. A couple of phones now... First a galaxy s8, and now an s10+. I gave up and just got a zumo 396 lmt-s and a camel windscreen brace. I'm digging the setup and digging the dedicated gps even more. I have less worry and problems. I'm not really worried about locking it. If I'm leaving the bike, I take the tank bag anyway, so will just throw it in there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've tried the phone gps. Ive read everything I could, lots of maps downloaded, apps, I do love Google maps, but I cannot keep my phones from dropping gps signals constantly. A couple of phones now... First a galaxy s8, and now an s10+. I gave up and just got a zumo 396 lmt-s and a camel windscreen brace. I'm digging the setup and digging the dedicated gps even more. I have less worry and problems. I'm not really worried about locking it. If I'm leaving the bike, I take the tank bag anyway, so will just throw it in there.
Offline charts for navigation
And try to use apple phones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Offline charts for navigation
And try to use apple phones

Yep, used all offline. But no fix on location. My friend who I ride with sometimes has an iPhone and it's not much better. No issues now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, used all offline. But no fix on location. My friend who I ride with sometimes has an iPhone and it's not much better. No issues now!
Off course real nav is much better but we talk about 700 usd all together
So.....fro now will be mobile phone
Later locking mount with real nav

·
Registered
140 Posts
Off course real nav is much better but we talk about 700 usd all together
So.....fro now will be mobile phone
Later locking mount with real nav

I got the 396 on sale for $250 usd, camel was $100, but yeah, it was not what I wanted to spend. I may pick up a duraforce pro phone used at some point, we'll see how it goes. I still rely heavily on paper maps, but wanted to expand how I do things, ability to share routes etc. My current phone, I've changed a bunch of the settings recently... Disabled optimize gps etc, and initial testing is showing its working better. Playing with this stuff is part of the hobby.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The USB was so long I was able to feed it back to the rear toolbox, so that is what I did with it. I just use it to charge the battery that I use to charge the phones at night while camping.
I have 2 USB ports mounted on the handlebar, I put 1 or 2 power banks in my tank bag and run leads to the USB ports. They are 18W QC3.0 USB ports, so they are faster than the one I cut off my Garmin mount.

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
I have 2 USB ports mounted on the handlebar, I put 1 or 2 power banks in my tank bag and run leads to the USB ports. They are 18W QC3.0 USB ports, so they are faster than the one I cut off my Garmin mount.
Yeah, it is definitely slow, but I just ran it back there because I didn't know what else to do with a 5' long USB cord and it works back there. Powerbank can just sit back there while I ride all day, though maybe I will just cut it off. I have a USB-C port in the front for the phone and one additional USB-A port, but mostly I wanted the faster charging for the phone :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good to know. Although, I have a S6 and never have a GPS signal or mapping issue - even in rural 'merica.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good to know. Although, I have a S6 and never have a GPS signal or mapping issue - even in rural 'merica.
I've posted about it on other forums. I have no idea. It's been a saga. Do I have too much iron in my blood? I don't have a steel plate in my head. Magnetic personality? Brass balls?

I've run into a couple of guys who have had problems like me, but most seem to not.

Anyway, my gps is mounted on a ram ball to the crossbar of the windscreen brace. Im thinking I want it closer to bar. The ram contraption pushes it out further than I'd like.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Frugal minded....Older Android phones with Google Maps. Without SIMM. Save map,offline. GPS still works. Not the Garmin quality but in a pinch.....
Maps are good for a year. Simply run Wi-Fi and download again..... I know it's good for least 100mi. radius.

·
Registered
729 Posts
There is also the Android app "Navmii" (USA and other countries) that strongly supports up-to-date offline maps with GPS use. I use this as a backup to lost network connection to Google Maps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've posted about it on other forums. I have no idea. It's been a saga. Do I have too much iron in my blood? I don't have a steel plate in my head. Magnetic personality? Brass balls?

I've run into a couple of guys who have had problems like me, but most seem to not.

Anyway, my gps is mounted on a ram ball to the crossbar of the windscreen brace. Im thinking I want it closer to bar. The ram contraption pushes it out further than I'd like.
Yeah, GPS mounting is such a fussy thing for most m/c riders.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, GPS mounting is such a fussy thing for most m/c riders.
Its livable. I got a different ball to mount to the bar then the one that came with the kit. Seated in normal position, it's right above bikes display, but it sticks out maybe 3". Play with the contraption and I can get it closer but it's up too high or too low. If I don't find anything, I'll probably make a bracket that mounts to the cradle, an directly to the bar....... But that's me getting really picky with it. It's working fine and the only issue is esthetic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I hear ya. Personally for me, I don't like cables going all over the place. But heck, I don't like panniers either (not yet anyway). Bikes are our passion. We make 'em to make us feel comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts

I don't know about the older Samsung phones as the Note 10+ was my first one. But I find setting the power mode to High Performance when riding with it plugged in, has led to fewer issues with GPS than optimized or medium power settings.

But you may already be using it in high and still having issues, so that theory may not hold true :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 106 Posts