Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its livable. I got a different ball to mount to the bar then the one that came with the kit. Seated in normal position, it's right above bikes display, but it sticks out maybe 3". Play with the contraption and I can get it closer but it's up too high or too low. If I don't find anything, I'll probably make a bracket that mounts to the cradle, an directly to the bar....... But that's me getting really picky with it. It's working fine and the only issue is esthetic.
I wonder if this would work for you.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/gps-mount-amps-pattern-12mm-1-2-cross-bar-by-motopumps-usa-made.1393787/

I rejiggered mine tonight, got rid of the ram ball and mounted my phone to one mounted to a camel brace. I’ll take pics tomorrow. When I get my zumo xt this is where it’s going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Used a neat RAM mount to the screen bar. Note that the visor over the clocks on the ATAS prevents some mounts being used.
Barry

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wonder if this would work for you.

GPS Mount AMPs Pattern 12mm 1/2" Cross Bar by MotoPumps USA Made

I rejiggered mine tonight, got rid of the ram ball and mounted my phone to one mounted to a camel brace. I’ll take pics tomorrow. When I get my zumo xt this is where it’s going.

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking. I love it. Thanks a bunch for posting this. I look forward to seeing your pics!

Edit : ha! Great timing. Looks fantastic and well made.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Personally if I go anywhere that being lost can be detrimental to life, my M-1950 & Topo’s are always included in my kit. I always plan on electronics failing, but that said I absolutely love my Garmin Zumo it’s like a PDA for my bike, it does it’s job and more. Personally I think for traveling it can’t be beat..Especially when used with a smartphone, tethered or otherwise..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Personally if I go anywhere that being lost can be detrimental to life, my M-1950 & Topo’s are always included in my kit. I always plan on electronics failing, but that said I absolutely love my Garmin Zumo it’s like a PDA for my bike, it does it’s job and more. Personally I think for traveling it can’t be beat..Especially when used with a smartphone, tethered or otherwise..
Yeah, where I like to be, redundancy is welcome here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here are the pics. It has zero flex unlike the ram ball mount.

That's it. On mine with the 2 balls and center piece, it can only collapse so much, plus vibration, again liveable, but that's rock solid and very compact. I'll be ordering one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here's a 3 second video, showing my Garmin on the bike from near the rider's perspective.
The screen looks much darker in the video than it does to my eye, it's pretty easy to see while riding.
I'm using a RAM mount with short arm attached to the Camel Adventures screen brace. I find the position of the screen works quite well for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's it. On mine with the 2 balls and center piece, it can only collapse so much, plus vibration, again liveable, but that's rock solid and very compact. I'll be ordering one. Thanks again.
We went on a 50 mile ride today and the new setup works perfect. Hardly any vibration at all.

You may want to look into the camel brace to make sure you don’t have any issues with the welds on the factory one. When I get my zumo xt it’s going where the phone is now. I ordered one from Garmin but it won’t be here for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
JB: How do you like the NC750X? (?)
Actually the NC is my wife’s bike and she loves it. It is her first big bike and so far it’s been perfect for her and she is really pleased with it. The only thing she would do different if she had a do over would be to get a 2018 in the red, we got this one used so no choice on color.

I have ridden it a fair bit as well and I like it too but I like anything with 2 wheels and a motor so I’m easy to please.... The only gripes I have with it are the seat and the suspension, the seat is just terrible and I think the forks are harsh on bigger bumps. Both things are easily fixable and will be at some point. Otherwise I think it’s a blast to ride and like the AT the motor has really nice bottom end torque. This bike and it’s engine character is one of the reasons I shopped the AT when I was looking to replace my Multistrada. I wanted something that made decent power but did not have to be wrung out all the time to do it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We went on a 50 mile ride today and the new setup works perfect. Hardly any vibration at all.

You may want to look into the camel brace to make sure you don’t have any issues with the welds on the factory one. When I get my zumo xt it’s going where the phone is now. I ordered one from Garmin but it won’t be here for a couple weeks.

I did purchase and install the camel windscreen brace and am extremely happy with it. Having the welds break there was not in my plans. Thank you for the follow up report. I'll be ordering it soon!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did purchase and install the camel windscreen brace and am extremely happy with it. Having the welds break there was not in my plans. Thank you for the follow up report. I'll be ordering it soon!
Were the bottom holes on your camel brace too small? Mine were only 4mm and i had to drill them out to get it to fit. I was not a big deal but on a brand new item a little annoying to have to take a drill to it....

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Actually the NC is my wife’s bike and she loves it. It is her first big bike and so far it’s been perfect for her and she is really pleased with it. The only thing she would do different if she had a do over would be to get a 2018 in the red, we got this one used so no choice on color.

I have ridden it a fair bit as well and I like it too but I like anything with 2 wheels and a motor so I’m easy to please.... The only gripes I have with it are the seat and the suspension, the seat is just terrible and I think the forks are harsh on bigger bumps. Both things are easily fixable and will be at some point. Otherwise I think it’s a blast to ride and like the AT the motor has really nice bottom end torque. This bike and it’s engine character is one of the reasons I shopped the AT when I was looking to replace my Multistrada. I wanted something that made decent power but did not have to be wrung out all the time to do it.

Awesome. If I had to, I would ride a lawnmower myself.

I too had a [red] NC750XD and it was a great everyday lugger. The brakes were a bit lame, the seat was average, and Drive Mode too conservative, but I liked the seat better than other bikes. Also, the NC750XD was a significant launching board to the CRF1000, the latter being just a pleasure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome. If I had to, I would ride a lawnmower myself.

I too had a [red] NC750XD and it was a great everyday lugger. The brakes were a bit lame, the seat was average, and Drive Mode too conservative, but I liked the seat better than other bikes. Also, the NC750XD was a significant launching board to the CRF1000, the latter being just a pleasure.
We both despise the seat. After about an hour its just torture. The plan is to get a seat concepts kit for it and real soon...

Her bike is a 6 speed, she actually did not want the DCT and the extra weight that came with it.

I think its a great every day bike. I commuted to work on it quite a bit last summer just because it was so much better than trying to commute on my Ducati. It is a much easier bike to manage in heavy traffic and its plenty quick enough to get thru that busy commute traffic efficiently.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Were the bottom holes on your camel brace too small? Mine were only 4mm and i had to drill them out to get it to fit. I was not a big deal but on a brand new item a little annoying to have to take a drill to it....
That would've annoyed me as well. No, they fit, I had no problems whatsoever with the install. I was impressed with the whole experience.... Shipping, packaging, build quality. All in all a great experience. (hey honda if you're listening .... I shouldn't have had to spend money on this)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That would've annoyed me as well. No, they fit, I had no problems whatsoever with the install. I was impressed with the whole experience.... Shipping, packaging, build quality. All in all a great experience. (hey honda if you're listening .... I shouldn't have had to spend money on this)
Beyond the holes I’m pretty impressed with the brace it’s plenty stout. I like the brace enough that I have the kickstand they make on the way to replace the factory noodle.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts