Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Diego,

Did 70 miles on road this evening. Mix of twisty roads all at a good pace. The mount is rock solid with no movement. Better than I expected.

Was my first ride of the season and reminded me why I love bikes

Barry

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Hey, that's cool. And where is it at adventure-bike.be? I did not see it at:

... but maybe somewhere else on the site?

Welcome to the Forum.
Hi, thanks man! What a huge forum here!

Yes thats normal, its not in category AT but in universal
nice wanted to pick one up but not currently shipping to the US
was thinking of flattening the mount section and using it on one of the vertical posts of my Camel brace for a phone mount..
we’ll see once things get back to “normal” on planet earth

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed a windshield brace from Vlad on my 2018 DCT, fit and finish is perfect and costs a bit less. Then the Motopumps gps mount, pricey but quality. Overal a slick, minimalist setup.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm really liking that Motopumps mount, very neat. I don't have a GPS but was considering mounting my phone for longer trips to places I'm not familiar with, will keep the Motopumps mount in mind.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm really liking that Motopumps mount, very neat. I don't have a GPS but was considering mounting my phone for longer trips to places I'm not familiar with, will keep the Motopumps mount in mind.
I am also thinking along the same lines - but doing the wait and see. Please post an update HD should you make the move and your thoughts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am also thinking along the same lines - but doing the wait and see. Please post an update HD should you make the move and your thoughts.
It may be a while. I'm a bit uneasy buying stuff online now with this Covid-19 stuff, I think mail is still flowing for the time being but worried after I order it will just be stuck in limbo somewhere for a long while, especially with items that need to cross the border. I may wait a while to see how it pans out, I wouldn't need the mount until July/August anyway.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It may be a while. I'm a bit uneasy buying stuff online now with this Covid-19 stuff, I think mail is still flowing for the time being but worried after I order it will just be stuck in limbo somewhere for a long while, especially with items that need to cross the border. I may wait a while to see how it pans out, I wouldn't need the mount until July/August anyway.
Totally agreed. I have stuff stuck forever in the black hole of space coming from overseas.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just placed my GPS on the bike. I used a Givi GPS holder attached to the left mirror stem. Once the COVID issue settles down I will pick up some rubber to act as a shim. For short term I used cork gasket material. I used the power point on the dash with a USB adaptor since the power point is switched. I found this location keeps the GPS out of the way and with it being close to the left mirror it is easy to focus on for a quick check. Worked well on the V-Strom and seems to be good on the ATAS.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
My final iteration of my GPS mount with my new Xumo XT

I moved the phone to the handelbars
Hmmm. I like this. Just mounted my XT via ram ball and short arm this weekend but this is super clean. Any way you could tell me how thick this thing is so that I would know how far the mounting surface is off of the center of the bar? Trying to see how far from the bar the GPS will sit. I like being able to reach the screen without a whole lot of leaving forward but don't need it in m face. I think my current setup puts the back of my GPS about inline with the little visor over the ATAS dash. I suppose there are ways to step this thing out if need be. Are you happy with the range of motion (the angle) that this allows? Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmmm. I like this. Just mounted my XT via ram ball and short arm this weekend but this is super clean. Any way you could tell me how thick this thing is so that I would know how far the mounting surface is off of the center of the bar? Trying to see how far from the bar the GPS will sit. I like being able to reach the screen without a whole lot of leaving forward but don't need it in m face. I think my current setup puts the back of my GPS about inline with the little visor over the ATAS dash. I suppose there are ways to step this thing out if need be. Are you happy with the range of motion (the angle) that this allows? Thanks!
Here are some measurements, hopefully they will help. Let me know if you need more.

From the bar to the front of the mount is 9/16”
From the bar to the actual face of the Garmin XT is 1 3/4” when mounted.

Here is a pic from the side to show where it sits. The screen is just past the gauge shroud. The key is that I mounted it to a camel brace which is an inch closer than the factory bar and higher up too. The camel brace is what is making this setup possible, with the factory bar it would be set back some and so much lower I do not think it would fit.

As far as the angle goes I’m totally happy with it. It’s on there pretty tight so I’m not going to be moving it without a wrench at this point. It’s setup mainly for seated riding but since I’m not tall I have no issues seeing it when standing too. I think if I spent a lot of time on the pegs I may want to rotate it up and the mount would accommodate that easily. The windshield would be the only limit on how much I could rotate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great! Thank you. One more question. Do you have the mount in the center position vertically? Or is it in the highest?

This is my current mounting situation. I have the same bike w/ Camel brace as you do. This works fine and is pretty solid but I can't get the GPS any further from me with this setup and this new XT is so bright and nice (not really a problem) that it seems pretty in my face and was thinking about setting it back a little. I'm tall so reaching it isn't a problem still I think. This does allow for pretty unlimited mounting positions though.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts