Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new GPS for my AT and was wondering what others are using. I now have a Zumo 550 on my other bike but would need to buy another mount kit to use it on the AT. Its not in good shape and I don't think its worth buying another mount for the AT so I'm looking for other options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Using Garmin Zumo390 with City Nav Europe map and special Motorcycle road map for Europe. Found the 590 having too may bells and whistles (and too expensive) for me. Also the cable of the 590 is huge (thick).
Be aware an updated series of Zumo's have been released by Garmin; 595, 395 and 345.

Also TomTom has an updated version, the Rider 410.

I am a very long time user of Garmin GPS devices. Strong point of Garmin is the PC based software BaseCamp. With BaseCamp you can makes routes and all sorts of others things on the PC and transfer it to the GPS device. You can also download routes from internet and transfer it to the GPS device.

If you are not familiar with BaseCamp and plan to use the GPS device mainly standalone, then the TomTom Rider 410 is the better choise. There is also PC software for the TT, but Garmin BaseCamp is far better.

Also the (European) navigation software of the TomTom is better. Curvy roads option of TT R410 is far better than of Garmin Zumo 395 and 595. With the TT R410 you can also very easily make a roundtrip. Oparating the TT R410 is also better than of the Garmins, this has always been a strong point of TT.

Huge price increase here in NL/ EUR of the new Zumo's. 395 costing EUR 600, 595 costing EUR 750...
TT R410 costing (only) EUR 400. Still a lot money though.

My next GPS will probably be the TT.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Garmin Montana 600/650. Cheap, waterproof, shock resistant, designed for ATV and Motos. It's not as intuitive as the Zumos or Nuvi but it's very customizable for road or off road and the stock mount (Allen key lockable) is $35! Yes......you'll get one and curse the world until you figure out how it works then you'll realize it's fantastic!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I picked up a Garmin 390lm for cheap brand new. Less then half price. Will do me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Garmin Montana 600/650. Cheap, waterproof, shock resistant, designed for ATV and Motos. It's not as intuitive as the Zumos or Nuvi but it's very customizable for road or off road and the stock mount (Allen key lockable) is $35! Yes......you'll get one and curse the world until you figure out how it works then you'll realize it's fantastic!
This man speaks the truth.

·
Super Moderator
329 Posts
I got a brand new Zumo 665LM for USD$325

It was a big decision it's less than half the cost of the 590 for a slightly better screen and iPHone controls. I went cheapo.

Now... where do I put that stupid XM antenna?

·
Registered
219 Posts
TOMTOM rider 400 here , only because i am used to tomtom , simple to use good for what i want from it , Garmins are better if you want to do some serious offroading i was told .

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been trying to decide between the 390LM and Montana 650T. The offroad crowd seem to rate the Montana 650T (and now 680T) very highly, but the big bike Adv crowd seem to favour the Zumo 390LM/590LM. I want one GPS I can use on the AT and on my dirtbike. From what I've seen the Zumo is more like a conventional GPS for motorcycles, where the Montana is going to be more useful offroad. The Montana is a bit smaller too, so will fit better on the dirtbike bars.
Pretty sure it'll be the Montana 680T for me. So far.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Always just used my iPhone in a case running copilot, which i have to say was and is brilliant as a iPhone app.
When i bought the bike the dealer offered me a voucher as an incentive so I spanked it on a TomTom Rider 400, which is quite impressive too. Especially if i team it up with my Sena headset.
Im happy so would recommend too.

·
Super Moderator
329 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use a tomtom rider which is great for day to day navigation on the street and the winding roads function works brilliantly!
For off-road use it's pretty much useless since you can only plan a route by setting via points and it will calculate the route between them over normal roads.

The original software for planning is also quite rubbish, but I did find a brilliant website to make (on-road) routes extremely easily.
It allows you to set the beginning and end points and just drag the route where you want to go.
You can export the route with a few clicks directly to the tomtom device.
If the route shows differently on the device, than just ad some more via points.
It uses Google maps and is free!
www.motogoloco.com

If you're doing more than 10% off road riding I think something like the Garmin Montana would be better.
For day-to-day navigation the tomtom rider works a bit better than the Garmins I've used.

Ps. I've used a trippy GPS for an off road ride a couple of months ago and that worked brilliantly.
It gives you road book style icons for navigation, but the newer ones can do normal navigation as well I'm told.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts