Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday Twinners, I'd like to do more rides on my Pat Malone (alone) so I can explore, stop, take photos, take in the environment etc as I choose as I don't mind my own company sometimes. Without pressures of keeping within a group etc.
For wife's sake, and my own I guess, would be good if my route and whereabouts could be real time tracked by her for the 'just in case it all goes to poo' situation, I can be located.
Just interested in feedback/ recommendations from the cohort regarding available tracking Apps you have used.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
331 Posts
Will you have phone service where you are at? I use the Garmin InReach (previously Delorme) device. It will work with satellites and send updates to whomever you want. Spot motorcycle tracker is good too but I liked the options of the InReach better but it does cost more. Can't comment though if either will work in your area. Also some BT headsets have fall detection and will use your phone to send a message (assuming it still works).

I used this app on Android before I went almost completely to Apple.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use Zoleo to keep in touch when on my twin and off the grid with no cell service.
It works way better than my previous two SPOT devices.
U pay for the service, but when off season, u can downgrade it to $5 a month.
I found the pricing for the inReach a bit steep.
3 of my riding and hiking mates have purchased zoleo also, we all love it.
And the customer service is really good.
Have had no issues with the device, any issue has been user error and typical failure to read any instructions.........

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
I am a big fan of the inReach devices as well. My wife and I have a couple of them, an Explorer+ and a Mini. We had also previously used Spotz but switched to the inReach for a variety of reasons.

As for cost, one benefit that Garmin offers vs Spot is the Freedom Plans. Spot doesn't (or at least didn't) offer anything similar. These only require a 30 day commitment and can be suspended during months where you feel you don't need the tracking.

I am not sure what would be similar in an App? Life 360 or GeoZilla maybe on the Android side. But Apps like that will have subscription fees similar to the InReach Safety Plan and not perform as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
170 Posts
I am a big fan of the inReach devices as well. My wife and I have a couple of them, an Explorer+ and a Mini. We had also previously used Spotz but switched to the inReach for a variety of reasons.

As for cost, one benefit that Garmin offers vs Spot is the Freedom Plans. Spot doesn't (or at least didn't) offer anything similar. These only require a 30 day commitment and can be suspended during months where you feel you don't need the tracking.

I am not sure what would be similar in an App? Life 360 or GeoZilla maybe on the Android side. But Apps like that will have subscription fees similar to the InReach Safety Plan and not perform as well.

Spot does offer a month to month plan now. I am actually in process of getting one of these devices and im undecided on which way to go. On the Garmin plans im assuming that because on the safety plan the "Send/Track Points" is $.10 each that if you want to allow someone to actually see where you are that you would need the recreation plan? Do you know?

I really like the Garmin and its two way capabilities but its a lot more expensive upfront and the monthly seems like its more as well.

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
Spot does offer a month to month plan now. I am actually in process of getting one of these devices and im undecided on which way to go. On the Garmin plans im assuming that because on the safety plan the "Send/Track Points" is $.10 each that if you want to allow someone to actually see where you are that you would need the recreation plan? Do you know?

I really like the Garmin and its two way capabilities but its a lot more expensive upfront and the monthly seems like its more as well.
You are absolutely correct. The Safety plan is a better option if you ride alone and just want to be able to send an occasional check-in with a single location point so that someone knows where you are at when you send the OK. It isn't a bad plan for that since sending a small handful of single points will probably only cost you a few dimes. It also has the ability to trigger an SOS via satellite if the worst should happen.

Edit: I don't know if I answered your question completely. You can change the Tracking Intervals from OFF to 10 min, 20 min, 30, min, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours. So you do have some control over how many .10 tracking points it would send. So the safety plan may still meet needs and be cheaper than the Recreation Plan if frequent tracking points are not required.

My wife and I both have the Recreation Plan on our units. That allows us to send the "breadcrumb" track every 10 minutes to friends/family or two each other if we are riding solo. If something happens to you or for some reason you can't stop to check-in, it allows people to know where you were within a 10-minute radius. It will be much more precise.

The Recreation Plan also allows for unlimited location requests and 40 text messages per month, while the preset plan is only 10. Neither sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that preset messages are unlimited so we do have a bunch of preset messages like "I am OK, stopping for fuel," "I am OK, stopping for lunch," "I am OK, stopping for the night." "I am OK, Getting started for the day" and the like. Those won't cost you.

But the two-way communication is why we have two of the units. Sometimes when we do group rides for our riding club, my wife may lead and I will ride sweep. If something happens along the way and I need to stop to assist someone as sweep, I can keep her updated on what the issue is, where I am, and what the ETA / Prognosis is. Or if I need to trigger the SOS, I can text her to let her know that it is a mechanical issue and I am fine or I am sending an SOS for someone other than myself so that she doesn't panic.

I was looking at the Zoleo plans for comparison (good post as I had not even heard of those before today) and the plans seem similar priced. Zoleo Basic $20 for 25 messages. Garmin Recreation $25 for 40 messages. If you are mostly under 25 messages a month, Zoleo will save you money, and the cost of the Zoleo units are cheaper for sure. If you use more than 25 it may balance out. You would also lose the integration of the Garmin Earthmate App, which may or may not matter.

Either way, whichever unit and plan you decide to go with, I would also highly recommend adding a GEOS SAR plan as well. The basic SAR 50 plan is $25/yr, SAR 100 plan $30 a year. Multiple devices can be added to one plan.

The SAR 50 membership covers expenses up to $50,000 USD per incident, with an annual maximum of $100,000 USD per year. This plan also covers multiple incidents under $50,000 USD as long as no single incident exceeds $50,000 USD, or the $100,000 USD per year maximum.

The SAR 100 membership covers expenses up to $100,000 USD per incident, with an annual maximum of $100,000 USD per year. This plan also covers multiple incidents under $100,000 USD as long as no single incident exceeds $100,000 USD, or the $100,000 USD per year maximum

We each have the SAR 50 plans on our units.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another vote here for the InReach. Previously I used a SPOT tracker and I can tell you from my experience and the experience of others the InReach is a superior communicator mainly because the Iridium Satellite network used by Garmin is better than the Globalstar network used by SPOT. The coverage of the InReach is far better especially under trees and in canyons. I've been using one now for about 5 years back when InReach belonged to deLorme. Many times I was able to communicate to my wife when cell service was not available. The emergency insurance is also great and not expensive in my opinion. A great tool to have. Handy even when on road trips in the car as well as hiking and camping off the grid.

Dan

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
The emergency insurance is also great and not expensive in my opinion. A great tool to have. Handy even when on road trips in the car as well as hiking and camping off the grid.

Dan
Definitely, the insurance is some peace of mind when you concider ambulance can still cost $100's even after insurance pays out and a helicopter ride is about $22,000.

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
I looked more closely at the Zoleo units. It looks as though it doesn't actually track? No interval tracking? It's simply a sattalite messanger with the ability for check-ins only?

Not that there isn't some utility in that, but it would explain the price difference in both the units and the plans vs Garmin inReach.

It is also far larger than the inReach Mini and lacks the mini's display.

Based on that, IF I am correct on the lack of tracking, I would personally put it behind InReach, Spot and even the Somewhere Global Hotspot.

The Somewhere at least offers interval tracking, though it is the most app dependent of the 3 due to no lights/buttons other than SOS.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I looked more closely at the Zoleo units. It looks as though it doesn't actually track? No interval tracking? It's simply a sattalite messanger with the ability for check-ins only?

Not that there isn't some utility in that, but it would explain the price difference in both the units and the plans vs Garmin inReach.

It is also far larger than the inReach Mini and lacks the mini's display.

Based on that, IF I am correct on the lack of tracking, I would personally put it behind InReach, Spot and even the Somewhere Global Hotspot.

The Somewhere at least offers interval tracking, though it is the most app dependent of the 3 due to no lights/buttons other than SOS.

I think you are right. On the Zoleo page that compares it to a SPOT X it shows that the Zoleo does not have tracking or a compass. That would be a deal killer for me. It you are incapacitated somewhere you would not be able to share your location and without automatic tracking it would make it much more difficult to be found. I'll stick with my InReach.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll do some research based on the advice received here 👍, see what applies here in Oz.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You are absolutely correct. The Safety plan is a better option if you ride alone and just want to be able to send an occasional check-in with a single location point so that someone knows where you are at when you send the OK. It isn't a bad plan for that since sending a small handful of single points will probably only cost you a few dimes. It also has the ability to trigger an SOS via satellite if the worst should happen.

Edit: I don't know if I answered your question completely. You can change the Tracking Intervals from OFF to 10 min, 20 min, 30, min, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours. So you do have some control over how many .10 tracking points it would send. So the safety plan may still meet needs and be cheaper than the Recreation Plan if frequent tracking points are not required.

My wife and I both have the Recreation Plan on our units. That allows us to send the "breadcrumb" track every 10 minutes to friends/family or two each other if we are riding solo. If something happens to you or for some reason you can't stop to check-in, it allows people to know where you were within a 10-minute radius. It will be much more precise.

The Recreation Plan also allows for unlimited location requests and 40 text messages per month, while the preset plan is only 10. Neither sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that preset messages are unlimited so we do have a bunch of preset messages like "I am OK, stopping for fuel," "I am OK, stopping for lunch," "I am OK, stopping for the night." "I am OK, Getting started for the day" and the like. Those won't cost you.

But the two-way communication is why we have two of the units. Sometimes when we do group rides for our riding club, my wife may lead and I will ride sweep. If something happens along the way and I need to stop to assist someone as sweep, I can keep her updated on what the issue is, where I am, and what the ETA / Prognosis is. Or if I need to trigger the SOS, I can text her to let her know that it is a mechanical issue and I am fine or I am sending an SOS for someone other than myself so that she doesn't panic.

I was looking at the Zoleo plans for comparison (good post as I had not even heard of those before today) and the plans seem similar priced. Zoleo Basic $20 for 25 messages. Garmin Recreation $25 for 40 messages. If you are mostly under 25 messages a month, Zoleo will save you money, and the cost of the Zoleo units are cheaper for sure. If you use more than 25 it may balance out. You would also lose the integration of the Garmin Earthmate App, which may or may not matter.

Either way, whichever unit and plan you decide to go with, I would also highly recommend adding a GEOS SAR plan as well. The basic SAR 50 plan is $25/yr, SAR 100 plan $30 a year. Multiple devices can be added to one plan.

The SAR 50 membership covers expenses up to $50,000 USD per incident, with an annual maximum of $100,000 USD per year. This plan also covers multiple incidents under $50,000 USD as long as no single incident exceeds $50,000 USD, or the $100,000 USD per year maximum.

The SAR 100 membership covers expenses up to $100,000 USD per incident, with an annual maximum of $100,000 USD per year. This plan also covers multiple incidents under $100,000 USD as long as no single incident exceeds $100,000 USD, or the $100,000 USD per year maximum

We each have the SAR 50 plans on our units.
This is some solid info. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks like Zoleo will be releasing active tracking this summer.
I asked their Customer support.

Thank you for contacting ZOLEO

The tracking feature will be released sometime in June/July of this year. We are in the testing phases of the feature.

If any questions and/or concerns arise, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Shadi Ghandehari
Customer Service Representative

·
Administrator
3,002 Posts
Looks like Zoleo will be releasing active tracking this summer.
I asked their Customer support.

Thank you for contacting ZOLEO

The tracking feature will be released sometime in June/July of this year. We are in the testing phases of the feature.

If any questions and/or concerns arise, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Shadi Ghandehari
Customer Service Representative
It will be interesting to see how the unit prices and plans compare once they do. It will likely be added to a newly released unit and not backward compatible with old ones because the old ones likely lack the hardware?

It will be interesting to see how they compare since like inReach, they use the Iridium Network.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I ended up ordering 2 inreach mini units today. I feel like this is something I should have done a long time ago given the places we sometimes go where there is no cell service for tens of miles.

We have a 5 day ride in Vermont at the end of the month so we will be using them pretty quickly for that ride. We are headed way off the beaten path so to speak. Hopefully we won’t need to test the sos feature but it will be nice to know it’s there.

Do you have a zumo xt? And if so have you tried pairing to that? It looks like an easier way to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts