Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a general and wide open question, but what GPS are you guys using on your Africa Twin and what mount do you recommend for the GPS? Are you installing the accessory plug to power the GPS? I am riding in North America only.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
Charles

·
Registered
72 Posts
Garmin zumo 595 with mount- lock from kradellock.com mounted in between bar clamps, it work's petty good But I like to try the new 276cx, so I am thinking of selling my 595. I need a big screen, old eyes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
By the fact I'm using the device on my sports enduro as well.

Garmin Montana 610 | PikePenR (www.pikepenr.nl) cradle | Touratech mount with lock | Fix power connection via the aux connector behind the front mask.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think in the UK there is some sort of tie up between Honda and Tomtom. At least there are a lot of bikes advertised with the Rider 410. My secondhand AT had one. It is my first Satnav but seems good, mounts on the middle of the handle bar, all the wires are nicely tucked away and it is easy to use in the car as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think I'm going to stick with my iPhone. I just need to find a better mount for it. I have a little bag thing that fastens over the handlebars at the moment but i really want to mount it over the instruments. It'll be much better than having to look down each time to see the GPS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Montana 610 w/o installed maps, using OSM freebies. I've used an iPhone in the past with Motion-X GPS and while it worked ok a dedicated GPS works much better for me. Using Basecamp for route/track development, and even though it had a steep learning curve, it's proved to be very easy to develop route/tracks and modify and store ride tracks for future use. I also use this on my 250X. Using the Garmin AMPs powered quick release mounted above the instruments.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a lot of good recommendations here. I am surprised at house expensive these models are. There are not much discounts on these models while the typical models used in cars are discounted or are frequently on sale. Fortunately, they all have a lot of great features.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You can find good deals on used GPS on ebay. I've been using my Garmin Zumo 550 for years now. Still does what I need it to do - just not a lot of extra storage for maps.

I also bought a Garmin Oregon 450 years ago for hiking and it's useful if you do more riding of trails or gravel roads. Also pretty reasonably priced as a used unit.

Reactions: Mcridr

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the RAM X-mount. Works very well; phone never moves.
I also use the RAM X-Mount, and transfer between bikes by having a RAM ball replacing a handle bar clamp bolt on one bike, and a U bolt ball mount on the other bike. Really great products!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll check those out. If you have links, that'd be great... there are many options. Do you use handlebar mount or mounting bar under the windshield?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can find good deals on used GPS on ebay. I've been using my Garmin Zumo 550 for years now. Still does what I need it to do - just not a lot of extra storage for maps.

I also bought a Garmin Oregon 450 years ago for hiking and it's useful if you do more riding of trails or gravel roads. Also pretty reasonably priced as a used unit.
I agree with you as I have used the Oregon and Colorado for many years. Mainly for off road but work just as well for the my ADV bikes. The screens are smaller but are easier to arrange in the cockpit area. As the age creeps up the eyes like looking at the bigger displays. So I am looking and looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I live in Costa Rica, then regular GPS maps are not as good as Waze.
I was thinking to use something more modular, like an Android small tablet with some rugged case. Easy to detach and store and posible to use for many other things as Android OS provides. What do you think about this:
1. Kindle 7" ($50) (Doesn't work, it doesn't have real GPS :/ )
2. SUPCASE [Heavy Duty] for Kindle 7" o Meritcase (waterproof) ($30)
3. RAM Magnetic Power plate III ($16), it comes with metal plate with adhesive for kindle case.
4. RAM 2.5" round plate ($7.50)
4. RAM short double socket arm ($14)
5. RAM Rail base for 0.5" to 1" (fits on windshield bar) ($15)

To detach you just twist the tablet and free the strong magnet, you can take it with you or in my case, with any other magnetic holder, put it in the car too.

Is fall down or somebody steal the tablet, it's a $50 devices, not your very expen$ive cell phone.
Still a bargain compared with some GPS, but you have any application available for Android including Google Maps, Waze even Tom-tom application if you want.

What do you think?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've had a Garmin Montana for 3-years with BackRoad Mapbooks http://www.backroadmapbooks.com
All the gravel roads (routable) and lots of dual & single track at your fingertips.
Advantage - DualSport rides where route is available in .gpx format. load the map and enjoy the ride.

I'm just getting parts to mount my Garmin on the AT now. Gadget guy writes "Installation of Garmin Montana 600 on Honda 2017 Africa Twin can be completed via:
"Base Plate II", P# ABP00002-0000 for $79.68, or P# ABP00002-0101 for $86.03. Base Plate can be purchased here: http://gpsforless.stores.yahoo.net/baseplatei.html
Installation is completed on the accessory crossbar above the instruments.
Base Plate II offers horizontal and vertical screw hole mounting pattern for installation of Montana 600 in portrait and landscape orientation."

·
Registered
361 Posts
The current "top-of-the-line" Garmin for motorcycles is the Zumo 595, which gets terrible reviews. I see a lot of people with BMW Motorrad Navigators (also made by Garmin, perhaps to better specs?), but don't see any comments by owners. I'd very much like to read reviews of the Navigator V or VI. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Does anyone know of an iphone holder like the Ram X-grip that will bolt straight to the flat clamp made by Hornig that fits on the 13mm bar. Iphone 7 seems to be waterproof enough for what we want, and an X-grip would allow the phone to be used with the protective impact case I have bought for normal use.
This is the Hornig thing (the item on the right)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts