Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Fellow AT owners, the time has come to take the gamble on a cheap and cheerful GPS tracker.
I know its not going to be a singing and dancing unit but for £14 its got to be another useful security gadget to go with disc locks and chain.

Now Im a complete divvi when it comes to the magic known as electrics...so any tips or info would be greatly appreciated (I've already popped the Microfuse? in my accessory socket trying to use a tyre compressor!!.....any one know where can I can get one of these as well??)

I have purchased the Gt02a Tracker ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Realtime-Car-GPS-GSM-Tracker-Locator-Vehicle-Van-Personal-Tracking-Device/392007536983?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 ) which I'm

hoping to install near the back with a constant power supply.
Im assuming I can find the live and tap into one of the accessory or diagnostic plugs under the seat?

if anyone knows of a good place to tap into that would save me prodding around with a meter (probably fusing everything lol)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a 6P connector under the passenger seat, you'll find both ground, switched and constant live power in that. Specifically, the green lead is ground/earth/negative, the red/white is constant live (also when the ignition is off), and the red/yellow is switched live (will go on/off with the ignition).

The cleanest solution is to get yourself a suitable 6P female connector (Sumitomo HM090 6P) and crimp that onto the wires from your tracker.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Watch your battery if you used the constant live conductor for power. I bought a Trackmate unit that claimed something like 5mA draw...had two flat batteries before I put an ammeter on the circuit and discovered that it actually pulled more like 50 mA, enough to pull the battery down to 11V if not ridden over a weekend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watch your battery if you used the constant live conductor for power. I bought a Trackmate unit that claimed something like 5mA draw...had two flat batteries before I put an ammeter on the circuit and discovered that it actually pulled more like 50 mA, enough to pull the battery down to 11V if not ridden over a weekend.
Ok cheers! worth keeping an eye on.
Being a electric moron, is there any way I can see what the tracker draws??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok cheers! worth keeping an eye on.
Being a electric moron, is there any way I can see what the tracker draws??
Put an ammeter in series with the hot conductor, or use a clamp meter. Clamp meters usually only have resolution of 0.1 amp though, so a DMM ammeter would be best (and cheapest, if you don't already own a DMM).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or you can do it my way....
Go on holiday for a week come back try and Strat the bike to find out its completely dead!!!
Just hope it hasn't screwed the battery, its down to 5.2v, its on charge as we speak. So the conclusion is the GPS is great especially for the money.
Add that to the peace of mind it gives me in todays theft ridden world and im keeping it on
BUT
Going to have to find a way to stop the batter getting that low at vacation time.
Make your own minds up people, just thought you'd like to know :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's a 6P connector under the passenger seat, you'll find both ground, switched and constant live power in that. Specifically, the green lead is ground/earth/negative, the red/white is constant live (also when the ignition is off), and the red/yellow is switched live (will go on/off with the ignition).

The cleanest solution is to get yourself a suitable 6P female connector (Sumitomo HM090 6P) and crimp that onto the wires from your tracker.
Sorry, n00b here. Can you by any chance describe EXACTLY where this connector is found, and what it looks like? Or ideally show a pic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry, n00b here. Can you by any chance describe EXACTLY where this connector is found, and what it looks like? Or ideally show a pic?

Thanks!
It is located bellow the back seat, on the lefthand side. You will spot a black colored relay fixed onto position with an elastic ruber clamp. Close to that it is the connector. The color is natural (whitish) and it has a dummy cap on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts