Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the possibility of breaking the welds on the support frame for the windscreen with the weight of a GPS mount, instead of buying an expensive support bracket made by Camel or others, can't you just go and reinforce the welds to make them stronger? It would save us all $100 plus.......

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just trying to save a Benjamin by applying a little common sense ....hopefully.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't see why it wouldn't work. But for someone like me,who can't weld and don't have a welder, I'd have to pay someone to weld it anyway. So came down to who I wanted to give my money too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks , i didn't see why it wouldn't work either. Common sense says if you have a weak weld, you strengthen it. Can even weld in an extra support bar maybe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It isn't just weak welds it's that the piece wasn't designed to carry any weight. But sure, a few folks have removed the bracket and welded in reinforcements.
It's a little bit involved to remove and replace. Easier to bolt on the aftermarket supporting piece.

·
Registered
415 Posts
With the possibility of breaking the welds on the support frame for the windscreen with the weight of a GPS mount, instead of buying an expensive support bracket made by Camel or others, can't you just go and reinforce the welds to make them stronger? It would save us all $100 plus.......

This has been done by a number of people, there is quite a bit of work in doing it because you have to add in extra support braces as well. You also have to do it at two locations as they are breaking where it goes onto the cross bar in front (forward of) of the dash panel (these are the screen mounts coming down) and also where the bottom of the cage circles back up under the headlight mounts. Its quite a job to strip the whole thing out. You really need to add some additional bracing by laying additional metal plates onto the joins and tig those into place as well as repair the old welds. I would say if you have the time and you are a good welder go for it. If you have to pay for it save yourself 4 hours to get it dis-assembled and back together and then about 4 hours to get welded, additional plate installed, then resprayed. Makes the Camel brace seem quite cheap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured it may need extra support. I can see where most would go for buying a support product. I just happen to be lucky enough to have a best friend who's a welder. When I get it done I'll post before and after for anyone who welds or knows one also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This has been done by a number of people, there is quite a bit of work in doing it because you have to add in extra support braces as well. You also have to do it at two locations as they are breaking where it goes onto the cross bar in front (forward of) of the dash panel (these are the screen mounts coming down) and also where the bottom of the cage circles back up under the headlight mounts. Its quite a job to strip the whole thing out. You really need to add some additional bracing by laying additional metal plates onto the joins and tig those into place as well as repair the old welds. I would say if you have the time and you are a good welder go for it. If you have to pay for it save yourself 4 hours to get it dis-assembled and back together and then about 4 hours to get welded, additional plate installed, then resprayed. Makes the Camel brace seem quite cheap.
+1
When I looked at mine to reinforce it I came to the same conclusion that adding the brace would be quicker and easier.
In the end I just decided to mount my GPS on a bracket off the mirror mount. Simpler, cheaper, less work and easier to reach to operate it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1
When I looked at mine to reinforce it I came to the same conclusion that adding the brace would be quicker and easier.
In the end I just decided to mount my GPS on a bracket off the mirror mount. Simpler, cheaper, less work and easier to reach to operate it.
Lol ok, now .... after you saying it too (much respect for your knowledge in the DR and this forum)....ya got me thinking . I like the support bar from Sweden that was posted. Now to go convert it into US dollars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate it. Stuck between ProCycle's choice and cranks post.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh wow, crank's Swedish support bar is $148 . I think for a temporary summer solution I'll try this cheap EBay item and see how it works.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got the Camel Adventure brace a while back, it didn't take very long to fit it and since then I've been very happy.

I used to use a RAM ball on the handle bar to attach the RAM arm/X-Grip for my phone, but after switching the phone to the RAM ball on the screen bracket, I'm finding the position much better. I wouldn't want to go back to the handle bar mount now.

Welding in extra supports sounds like so much time & effort compared to fitting the Camel Adventure windscreen bracket. I would definitely go with the quicker, easier & simpler solution! At US$99 it is not all that expensive IMO. In fact, just checking the website, I see a really good deal where you can bundle the windscreen brace and the Camel Toe side stand for a discounted price. I just fitted my Camel Toe side stand this week and I would definitely recommend that product as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Heres my set up using Batzen Screen adjuster and the Sweden made bracket I linked, works well travel a lot of corrugated roads here in Aus and keeps the GPS stable and you really notice how stable it is eliminates shaking and vibration and makes the alot screen easier to read.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the solution to this from Camel adv. From Canada. They also have sale now. I don't work for them but seen this application done by many AT globe trotters

·
Registered
35 Posts
The welds on my bracket broke without ever having a GPS or anything mounted on it. Vibration from gravel roads and corrugations did it with nothing but the screen mounted.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Even if I was a welder myself, I'd rather install the Camel bracket. Easy install, looks good, allows you to actually mount phone GPS or whatever. The stock support has been known to fail since 2016, Honda knows about it, they just don't care :)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my brace from Europe, from a guy called Vlad Voiculescu

Payment details: Total cost is 57,50 EUR including shipping with tracking number.
PayPal to [email protected]

His brace appealed to me because it was more slimline than the Altrider brace (and I'm a big fan of Altrider kit and have most of it), but his brace was lighter.

Anyways, I crashed my bike off-road on an 18 mph impact lowside... enough to crack my windscreen corner, but the brace reduced the impact damage to everything else I'm sure of it.

So I just replaced the windscreen and that's all. My HAT Crossbar holds a Garmin 276cx Sat Nav Device

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts