Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this happen a few times now and I wanted to get your-all's opinion.

When starting from a parked spot, the initial forward motion is "grabby", with the transmission feeling like it is engaging and then quickly disengaging. This causes a small lurch of the bike, though not one that feels particularly out of control. It's just awkward.

Here are the conditions:

• Time of day: Late afternoon (5-6pm)
• Weather: Clear, 60-65ºF
• Stopped time: 9-10 hours
• Bike position: Parked perpendicular on city street with back wheel against curb. Road has gutter and slight crown so rear wheel is below front.
• Rider action: Starting out slowly, with a tight turn and often moderate cross traffic

My best guess here is that the combination of very tentative throttle input and the slightly uphill attitude of the stopped bike is what causes the problem. It's just weird that this particular location, time of day, etc. are the only factors that correlate with the behavior (and it's not every day; it's happened perhaps 3-4 times over the last 4-6 weeks).

Any ideas welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine feels a little grabby sometimes under about the same conditions. Using a little rear brake seems to help keep it from being so jumpy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had exactly this yesterday. It's almost as if you have never ridden before for a few seconds and then seems to calm itself down. I wonder if it is an oil pressure issue or the angle the oil has been at when parked and taking a few seconds to get back around the system. In theory front wheel slightly raised and on the side stand has tipped all the oil to the rear left corner. it is also a bit random and not every time. Until you pointed it out I was just blaming myself for being old and stiff when getting back on the bike. Personally with DCT I would much rather that they had mounted the rear brake on the bars as I found I had much easier control over it on my Integra. I have an Alt rider pedal enlarger on order and will fit and adjust the footrest pedal combination to give me better control as at the moment I find the pedal too tucked in and a tad too high for natural brake control.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting comments both. Yesterday I pulled out of that spot and did not have the grabbiness, but things felt a bit odd, like I had shifted directly into second. I had to stop for a light after a few feet and when I started again things were still odd, but I remember thinking then that it felt like the clutch was slipping. As I accelerated there was a clunk (which might have been a downshift, I wasn't looking at the gear indicator) and all was normal after that.

I have also noticed that when starting from this spot the transmission sometimes seems to hold first longer then the usual for the first stretch. Once it upshifts things are normal from then on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it has to do with oil temperature......Never happens when the motor is warm.....on mine only at first start with a very slight up hill grade.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it has to do with oil temperature......Never happens when the motor is warm.....on mine only at first start with a very slight up hill grade.....
I agree. Possibly oil pressure too. I've started letting it warm up at idle for 20s or so before rolling. Will advise if this definitively prevents the symptoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since winter descended, I have changed my early morning routine to include starting the bike before donning helmet and gloves and climbing aboard. Since using this routine, my morning 'grabbyness' has gone... I'm convinced it is an oil temp and or pressure thing ... and a little warm up never hurt anyone anyway ....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find changing into S2 before moving helps the throttle is more linear probably because the gearbox isn't looking to change up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. Possibly oil pressure too. I've started letting it warm up at idle for 20s or so before rolling. Will advise if this definitively prevents the symptoms.
This seems to have fixed the problem. My starts are totally smooth now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine feels grabby or that the clutch is slipping for about 3 miles. I see a distinct increase in revs needed to pull away until about 10 minutes into my ride. Surely not going to warm the bike up that much before setting off each morning. Is it a cold issue or a dealer call? At first I have to use about 2200 rpm, and it feels like its holding me back/brakes binding almost. After ten minutes its all smooth and back to around 1850/1900 RPM on pull away

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
Similar issue experienced, found that if I let the bike warm up a couple off bars and cycle the gearbox from N to D a few times it lessons the issue. When warm no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts