Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

My second post here. I pulled the trigger and bought the ATAS and am anxiously waiting for delivery from the dealership. Even if I had it though, there is snow and ice on the roads - spring can’t get here soon enough!

I am reading the manual and have a question: There are three riding modes - tour, urban and gravel. On the ATAS there is also a ‘G’ button on the right hand side of the dash which is also for gravel. What is the difference between the gravel riding mode and the G button? Are they the same and the G button is simply a ‘quick setting’ and puts the bike in gravel mode? Something else?

Coming from a KLR, this thing seems more complicated than trying to flush Darth Vader’s toilet! :grin2:

I think learning to navigate the settings and such will be easy. I am more concerned with how the various settings translate to the bikes performance and the riding experience. Sure am looking forward to the first ride though!

Thanks in advance.

Bookem

·
Registered
379 Posts
The G button.. according to the manual seems to be all about clutch slip on the DCT bike. whereas gravel mode is about engine characteristics. power, torque and engine braking on all types of AT. i guess it depends on the circumstances. whether you would use one or the other or both.

I might be wrong here... but according to my reading of the manual the G button is only present on the DCT bike. So, (I believe) the manual bike doesn't have this.

So.. it helps with control, that on the manual bike would be done by judicious application of the clutch lever is slippy situations (probably)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motorbiker,

Thank you! Something about reading your post made the connection for me.

G button = DCT setting and when / how it will shift
Gravel mode = Engine power and torque control

I had a serious brain cramp and could not figure that out by reading the manual.

Bookem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I bought my DCT ATAS in December 2018. A word of advice. Before going off road get plenty of practice in a wide open space. It takes a little time to get used to not having a clutch to feather off road. The gravel mode works well for gnarly off road stuff. Makes the throttle less sensitive. I crashed twice on my first off road ride. Forgot no clutch to disengage engine, going too fast on rocky mud and grabbed too much front brake. Down I went. Worked so well I repeated the crash on the other side of the bike. Oh and ditch the OEM skid plate and crash bars. They are rubber mounted and when you go down they will flex into your fairing and crack it. Ask me how I know! LOL. They also offer little engine protection. I now have outback Motortek engine guards and bash plate. Solid as a rock. Love the bike now ! Just wish I would have practiced more before venturing in Rocky muddy terrain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, Jetlag!

I’m waiting for the AltRider crashbars and skid plate before I get the bike. I did a similar thing to my KLR when it was new and it hurt my pride more than anything to know I could have prevented the damage. Ah, lessons learned!

Between the DCT and the computer on the ATAS I know I am in for a different type of ride than on the KLR. I do plan to take it easy. There is a decent dirt road somewhere I can practice on before doing any technical off road. Either way, I know dirt = a crash and it’s just a matter of when and to what degree the damage will be.

Congrats on yours as well!

Bookem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I bought my DCT ATAS in December 2018. A word of advice. Before going off road get plenty of practice in a wide open space. It takes a little time to get used to not having a clutch to feather off road. The gravel mode works well for gnarly off road stuff. Makes the throttle less sensitive. I crashed twice on my first off road ride. Forgot no clutch to disengage engine, going too fast on rocky mud and grabbed too much front brake. Down I went. Worked so well I repeated the crash on the other side of the bike. Oh and ditch the OEM skid plate and crash bars. They are rubber mounted and when you go down they will flex into your fairing and crack it. Ask me how I know! LOL. They also offer little engine protection. I now have outback Motortek engine guards and bash plate. Solid as a rock. Love the bike now ! Just wish I would have practiced more before venturing in Rocky muddy terrain.
Crap. Dont tell me that. The crash bars and skid plate was one of the primary reasons I bought ATAS. :(

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mauiarcher,

How much crash protection you need depends on how much and what type of dirt riding you plan to do. No question, if you intend to use the bike for everything it is designed to do, then you will absolutely need to upgrade. I haven’t ridden one mile my ATAS because I’m waiting for the dealership to get in the AltRider crashbars and skid plate. I will be on dirt, and I know from experience on my KLR, I will crash. It’s not if. It’s when.

The only way I’d put the stock machine on dirt is if I just wanted to ride on easy, gravel roads. Even then it’s a risk as I’ve seen two videos of guys ‘going down easy’ in dirt and they cracked the crank case wide open.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m sure many others on this forum would tell you the same thing. Ride safe!

Bookem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Crap. Dont tell me that. The crash bars and skid plate was one of the primary reasons I bought ATAS. /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Sent from my SM-G965U using
Tapatalk
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the OEM protection on the ATAS is non-existent. I found out that Honda doesn’t even call them “crash bars” but refer to them as “lighting mounts”. I wish I had known this before purchase also. My bad. I should have inspected them better.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Motorbiker,

Thank you! Something about reading your post made the connection for me.

G button = DCT setting and when / how it will shift
Gravel mode = Engine power and torque control

I had a serious brain cramp and could not figure that out by reading the manual.

Bookem
There is a very detailed post about the "G" button here...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the OEM protection on the ATAS is non-existent. I found out that Honda doesn’t even call them “crash bars” but refer to them as “lighting mounts”. I wish I had known this before purchase also. My bad. I should have inspected them better.
Well, I would have purchases the ATAS even if I knew that the bars it bears are cosmetic, still I was also thrilled about the idea of bying the bike and not having to spend extra forcrashbars. Well, this changed at the moment I went to pick up my bike.

So, less than a month later I spend 550euros of my hard earned money to by the (fabulus in every way), Outback Motorteck combo.

BTW, have you noticed that virtualy EVERY accesory for the AT is insanely expensive, or it is just me?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Deltabi.

Yeah, I’ve been following that thread, too. Great discussion. In the end, until I get on the thing and experiment with the modes and settings, I’m sitting on the sidelines.

Bookem

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Petros,

I guess from experience with the KLR I’ve accepted the fact when it comes to adventure bikes, crash protection is a must have and it can be expensive. However, a wise man once told me - An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The cost to repair damage can far exceed the cost of good crashbars and a skid plate.

Many ‘adventure riders’ like the idea of using these bikes on the dirt, but really just want a street bike or garage toy and the thought of scratching their bike horrifies them. I mourn the first scratch already. However it’s the price I’m willing to pay for what and how I define ‘adventure ride’.

Safe riding!
Bookem

·
Registered
75 Posts
I spend 550euros of my hard earned money to buy the Outback Motortek combo.
I ordered my OM combo and paid $900 USD (810 euros) including shipping fee, so you got a really good deal or they just hate Americans :frown2:

Many ‘adventure riders’ like the idea of using these bikes on the dirt, but really just want a street bike....Bookem
Actually I fit into this category but my definition of off road does not mean dirt, it means avoiding obstacles by any means including jumping curbs, medians, wading through a flooded street and hop a light pole or fallen tree after a storm. Cancelled my order on the OM combo, now I will be looking for something minimalistic and cheaper to protect my bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts

This is not accurate . Honda brochure says : “COWL GUARD KIT
08P71-MJP-G50
Silver Cowl Guard protects the motorcycle’s fairing as well as providing a mount for the LED Fog Lights.”

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/archived-accessory-brochures/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_9/textColumn/richtextdownload_c92/file.res/HUK MC_HGA_AFRICA_TWIN_AW_web_0418.pdf

Surely there are stronger stuff out there but i think they have some use on road.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I ordered my OM combo and paid USD (810 euros) including shipping fee, so you got a really good deal or they just hate Americans :frown2:

I guess you bought also the skid plate? I did not. I bought only the upper, middle and lower crashbars. I maintained the OEM skid plate. Actually one of the reasons I chose the OM over the Altrider was also the fact that is compatible with the OEM skid plate; the Altrider's are not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts