Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow throttle junkies. I bought my AT recently and have spent more time reading posts here than I would like to admit. Thanks for all your help! Having this resource made making decisions for parts easier.
I added crash bars, paniers and K60s since my purchase and have lots of questions about how other folks set up their bikes.
I love my AT but there are some things that I still haven't quite figured out. Wheelies in the dirt and in second gear are a pain in the ass. I have messed with power and TC settings and have not found a setting that works well. What was done to the AT in the trials video? Sprockets? Power commander? Exhaust? I just wish my bike was that peppy.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
510 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum,

Fist off I am unaware of how long you have been riding, and I don't intend this to be condescending.

Those guys slinging this bike around like a trials bike are Phenoms, some of the guys are able to do all of that with the bike in its stock form, excluding the tires.

For us weekend warriors the best purchase to increase your wheelie power/control would be to get a larger Driven(Rear) sprocket. Of course practice will yield you the best results but that larger rear sprocket will help bring up the front wheel quickly if you have weighted the bike properly. If you technique is flawed you will have poor results either way.

Side note, since you are going to be practicing wheelieing, get some bark busters or equivalent. You are going to snap the levers off real quick when the AT drops on its side.

Have fun and keep us posted on how your 12 o-clock hand dragging wheelies are going. 😁

Reactions: Ponzan

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
326 Posts
1st gear, 0 Traction control, 0 anti whellie, maximum power mode, release the clutch and whack the throttle!!!! (secure yourself and the others; don't be a graveaddict) you can wheelie the AT, but you are right "Wheelies in the dirt and in second gear are a pain in the ass" "Those guys slinging this bike around like a trials bike are Phenoms" unreal people!

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome to the Forum,

Fist off I am unaware of how long you have been riding, and I don't intend this to be condescending.

Those guys slinging this bike around like a trials bike are Phenoms, some of the guys are able to do all of that with the bike in its stock form, excluding the tires.

For us weekend warriors the best purchase to increase your wheelie power/control would be to get a larger Driven(Rear) sprocket. Of course practice will yield you the best results but that larger rear sprocket will help bring up the front wheel quickly if you have weighted the bike properly. If you technique is flawed you will have poor results either way.

Side note, since you are going to be practicing wheelieing, get some bark busters or equivalent. You are going to snap the levers off real quick when the AT drops on its side.

Have fun and keep us posted on how your 12 o-clock hand dragging wheelies are going. 😁
Thanks for the warm welcome! I ride my AT off-road on a near daily basis with lots of tar in between. This is my first adventure bike, most of my off-road experience is on XRs and I had wheelies down on those bikes. I mostly want to pick the front end up for practical purposes like potholes etc. I mostly clutch up with additional body positioning and rear brake to balance. On the AT I rev and pop the clutch in second gear at about 3500-4000rpm the engine just lugs and doesn't deliver the power I think it should be able to. I wish I had the skills to whip this thing around like the pros, in most respects I'm still a novice.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st gear, 0 Traction control, 0 anti whellie, maximum power mode, release the clutch and whack the throttle!!!! (secure yourself and the others; don't be a graveaddict) you can wheelie the AT, but you are right "Wheelies in the dirt and in second gear are a pain in the ass" "Those guys slinging this bike around like a trials bike are Phenoms" unreal people!
Yeah first gear is no problem! I can balance it for a little while 😁 I wonder if I put some knobbies on it might do the trick off-road. I make it work though! Did a bunch of creek crossings with baby heads today that I wished I could wheelie over.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds like you know your way around a bike. (y)

And it also sounds like you should be able to pop that wheel up.

Could be your timing, with maybe traction control kicking in. Could be your tires. Maybe just try some of the basic wheelie drills just to get more familiar with the lift available. Then maybe it will transfer to second gear. The rear sprocket swap will help with the torque.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
510 Posts
If Chris Birch can do it... soo can we, right!?!?! Bwahahaha.

Reactions: irsh
1 - 11 of 11 Posts