Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

Just picked up a leftover HRC coloured 2017 ABS Manual yesterday. Looking forward to learning lots here!

I'm coming over to the AT from a DRZ400s. I've ridden dirtbikes off and on for much of my life. Every time I buy a street bike, I eventually decide I don't like it. I had a cx500 in the past, and it felt slow and top heavy. I'd always wanted an SOHC cb750, so I got one in spring for a highway bike, and, after getting it going, I've decided its not for me.

I don't love traffic. I don't love the superslab. I live for secondary roads, gravel, dirt strips between fields, fire roads, hidden beaches, that kind of thing. 2 weeks ago I got back from a 2300km solo camping trip on the DRZ. It was fantastic. Manitoba > North Dakota badlands > Montana > Saskatchewan > Manitoba. A long way on a DRZ.

I learned a lot about myself and what I really like in a motorcycle on that trip. That's the kind of riding I really love: lightly packed, exploring the backroads, capable of dirt when I get there. I want a bike with long suspension. Stable on gravel. Not getting blown over by semis when I have to be on the highway. Capable of sustained 75mph. Comfortable for 12 hour ride days (I did two on the DRZ, and it was ok, but I felt like I was working the poor little bike pretty hard). I love a bike that feels nimble and snappy (which a cb750 does not). What I really want is a DRZ, but at, say, at 1.5 scale with the power to match.

I rode a KLR. Nope. I rode a V-strom 650. Pretty fun, cheap, but not enough suspension and didn't feel stable on gravel. I signed up to ride a GS850 after throwing a leg over an 800 that I was considering but that they wouldn't let me test ride.

And then I rode an AT. It ruined me for everything else. I cancelled the BMW test ride and bought the AT. I love that the frame is dirtbike influenced. I love that the suspension is fully adjustable. I love how the bike feels small and nimble and snappy once you get on it.

I'm working on break in. I can't wait for my next solo trip!

Anyhow, that's me.

See you out there!

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's really a perfect bike for what you're using it for. It loves 90-100 kph secondary roads, broken pavement is a piece of cake and comfy, and it's easily the best gravel and trail bike I've ridden. Enjoy your new bike!

Reactions: LostHighwayMoto
1 - 3 of 3 Posts