Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello New Found Friends!

Picked up a new, 2017 DCT today at what seemed like a good price, considering ($9,163 before tax and nuisance fees.) Discovered this forum while still trying to wipe the grin off my face from my first ride out into the stix.

I'm an old guy, history of mostly crotch rockets, cruisers, and just plain road bikes that might be called naked bikes, these days.

Last bike was a Honda Valkyrie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but sold when I moved to a non MC friendly state for awhile. Recent relo to AZ got me to thinking about "adventure" riding, so rented an AT on a recent business trip and was sold.

Shopped a bit for used AT's (last new bike I bought was a Honda FT500 Ascot, in 1981, if any of you remember the single cylinder version.) Found the used bikes mostly had the accessories I wanted, but were not priced low-enough to compete with 2-3 year old new stock off the dealer floor with warranty. Figured that they must be wanting to unload them for when the 1100 comes out shortly, maybe.

Pretty stoked about the bike, reading up on stuff you guys have posted about crash bars, skid-plates, throttle locks, panniers, etc. Have watched quite a few youtube videos, as well. Especially enjoy William Gloege, Motorcycle Adventures and Mototrek.

Have been riding about 45 years... still can't seem to find anything I like better!

Cheers,

B :grin2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lots of Arizona riders too. Welcome. By any chance, did you buy your bike at Western Powersports? I picked up a 2018 ATAS there a few weeks ago. Great prices.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of Arizona riders too. Welcome. By any chance, did you buy your bike at Western Powersports? I picked up a 2018 ATAS there a few weeks ago. Great prices.
Almost... Pulled their Craigslist advert up at an opportune moment during the negotiations over at Ride Now in Chandler.

I was not completely sold on the DCT, after renting one for a day in NZ, so was going to go pick up a MT at Western. Ridenow guys matched the MT price, then cut a little more off for good measure on one of the two DCT's they had.

I think I am ok with the DCT, now. Have read quite a bit more about it, and think I can live with it. I think the G button may make it ok. I suppose I could think I got it for "free."

Overall, the experience at Ride Now was pretty decent. Maybe got lucky and got a good sales guy. Their nuisance fees are abusive, but there is some latitude to smooth it out.

I think all of the local shops are ready to clear out their 2017s. They are getting them transferred down here from northern shops, or so I am told.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello New Found Friends!

Picked up a new, 2017 DCT today at what seemed like a good price, considering ($9,163 before tax and nuisance fees.) Discovered this forum while still trying to wipe the grin off my face from my first ride out into the stix.

I'm an old guy, history of mostly crotch rockets, cruisers, and just plain road bikes that might be called naked bikes, these days.

Last bike was a Honda Valkyrie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but sold when I moved to a non MC friendly state for awhile. Recent relo to AZ got me to thinking about "adventure" riding, so rented an AT on a recent business trip and was sold.

Shopped a bit for used AT's (last new bike I bought was a Honda FT500 Ascot, in 1981, if any of you remember the single cylinder version.) Found the used bikes mostly had the accessories I wanted, but were not priced low-enough to compete with 2-3 year old new stock off the dealer floor with warranty. Figured that they must be wanting to unload them for when the 1100 comes out shortly, maybe.

Pretty stoked about the bike, reading up on stuff you guys have posted about crash bars, skid-plates, throttle locks, panniers, etc. Have watched quite a few youtube videos, as well. Especially enjoy William Gloege, Motorcycle Adventures and Mototrek.

Have been riding about 45 years... still can't seem to find anything I like better!

Cheers,

B /forum/images/AfricaTwinForum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

Will never be this clean again, 000001 miles, before riding home from dealer.

You can see what the factory "low" seat looks like in the "low" setting. Ordered one that matches color, off eBay, will end up selling the black one shown, once the new one arrives.

Seat works ok with my height challenged 29" inseam. Might lower it with a link kit, someday, and put the stock seat back on for a little more padding. Might not.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine at Western, the fees at Ride now were just over $1000 more than Western and I couldn't understand why they charged more than the Honda web site claims for the destination fee? Plus Western gave me $600 more for my trade than Ride Now anyway...personally I cant stand the way RN does business and would never go to one of their shops again, I was hesitant to begin with after several other poor experiences.

Either way, ultimately riding the AT is where the real experience begins, and so far so good for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts