Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The unpaved track that leads through the woods down to my house is bumpy, rutted and also has a shallow ford, so in parts I prefer to stand on the pegs for balance. The first time I did this I immediately noticed that the tank is really slippery. As I really want to be holding onto the tank with my knees, rather than hanging off the bars, this is a bit of an issue. That's point one.

The second point is that, even at a none-too-tall 5'8" (173cm), I feel that the bars are slightly short when standing up.

With regard to the first point, I see Eazi-Grip offer this product, and that TechSpec also have something similar. I note that the bikes used on the Honda Adventure Centre didn't have tank grips, but then I was wearing off-road trousers borrowed from the Centre - maybe they are designed to be non-slippy?

As for the height of the bars, I know I can use bar risers, about which there are many threads that I am still digesting (such as this one), and I quite like the Touratech bridge-type riser. For what it's worth, there's a big thread on another forum that discusses one top rider's controversial view that risers shouldn't be used at all.

It also strikes me that one alternative would be to lower the pegs, which looks to be possible using SW Motech's ION footpegs.
These supposedly give you a 15mm drop, and the extra room when sitting down might take the pressure off my slightly dodgy left knee.

So, does anybody here use grip pads on the tank?
I know we have quite a few bar riser users too, but has anybody lowered the pegs?

TIA
Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
The unpaved track that leads through the woods down to my house is bumpy, rutted and also has a shallow ford, so in parts I prefer to stand on the pegs for balance. The first time I did this I immediately noticed that the tank is really slippery. As I really want to be holding onto the tank with my knees, rather than hanging off the bars, this is a bit of an issue. That's point one.

The second point is that, even at a none-too-tall 5'8" (173cm), I feel that the bars are slightly short when standing up.

With regard to the first point, I see Eazi-Grip offer this product, and that TechSpec also have something similar. I note that the bikes used on the Honda Adventure Centre didn't have tank grips, but then I was wearing off-road trousers borrowed from the Centre - maybe they are designed to be non-slippy?

As for the height of the bars, I know I can use bar risers, about which there are many threads that I am still digesting (such as this one), and I quite like the Touratech bridge-type riser. For what it's worth, there's a big thread on another forum that discusses one top rider's controversial view that risers shouldn't be used at all.

It also strikes me that one alternative would be to lower the pegs, which looks to be possible using SW Motech's ION footpegs.
These supposedly give you a 15mm drop, and the extra room when sitting down might take the pressure off my slightly dodgy left knee.

So, does anybody here use grip pads on the tank?
I know we have quite a few bar riser users too, but has anybody lowered the pegs?

TIA
Dan
I used techspec gripster pads on my tank. I've used them on previous bikes (road bikes), and like the non-slip feeling and the fact that you can hang-on with your knees.
I was cheap and bought the generic sheet, and then cut it to shape. In retrospect it was a bit of a PITA to get it into the exact correct shape that satisfied me. Next time I'd go with the one pre-cut for the model of bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UK buyers

I used techspec gripster pads on my tank. I've used them on previous bikes (road bikes), and like the non-slip feeling and the fact that you can hang-on with your knees.
Thank you, that's exactly the feeling I'm after. I have managed to find the UK distributor. Not cheap, but what price stability eh.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I can vouch for the Touratech bar riser/bridge - works great for me at 6'1".
I put some protective film on my tank but no grips. I think that's a preference thing as I like to be able to reposition my knees and move around a bit when standing. The Techspec grip pads have a good reputation and reviews from users.
I changed the OEM footpegs to IMS Supersports and they are a little bit lower (maybe 1/4") but I can say that made much of a difference.

Reactions: MildlyInterested

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
under high-strain conditions.
yea so you guys have rogue hurricane force winds in Canada also .. I’ve encountered them here too on occasion 100+ MPH winds that seem to occur on wide open straight sections of roads with no traffic.
they have absolutely nothing to do with disobeying the posted speed limit :sneaky:
Luckily they are ALWAYS straight on head winds..

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yea so you guys have rogue hurricane force winds in Canada too .. I’ve encountered them here too on occasion 100+ MPH winds that seem to occur on wide open straight sections of roads with no traffic.
They have absolutely nothing to do with disobeying the posted speed limit :sneaky:
Luckily they are ALWAYS straight on head winds..
Dang straight.

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
I have successfully used Techspec Gripster on street bike tanks. They helped me keep from blowing off the bike on the freeway under high-strain conditions.

I will try and determine how they will behave with me on the AT, especially when standing.
They are definitely popular on bikes here. My wife has a set on hers, she won them in a raffle at at AT Rally last year. I need a set for mine :)

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
Hmm, not a bad rally prize.

No. We did pretty well at the Rally between auctions and drawings. We won those TechSpec pads and a Camel ADV side stand free. Since they both fit Sara's standard model, we put them on her bike.

I also won auctions for a set of Pivot Pegs, toppers and Rebuild Kit which retails at $218.95 for the 3 parts. I paid $50. And an Outback Motorteck Combo package that retails for $534. I paid $250.

We also came home with some other schwag including shirts, hats, etc. Met some great people, had some good food and convo. A really good Rally :)

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
Is there a way to order these without having a facebook account?
To order which? Though I am guessing the answer is yes for any of the items mentioned above.

If you are meaning the TechSpec Tank Grips, they can be ordered here.

Or do you mean the pegs? That one I am not sure about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts