Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guglatech claims that is is a dual purpose system that can be run dry for street and track or oiled for dirt and dust. It can we washed out and then used the opposite way as well. They claim 20,000km between servicing the filter for dirty conditions, 30 to 40,000km for dry and clean conditions.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I myself, have never, ever been fan of ANY brand of air filter that you had to go through the hassle of washing out and re-oiling. I like things simple as I get older. Open the package, insert new air filter, DONE. Good for however many miles Honda says it is. Then, repeat process.
Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello from Japan.
I also bought the filter. I'm waiting for installation now.
I was ordering to replace the main filter of the fuel pump at the same time, but I received a reply from the dealer that the delivery date was after mid-November. It seems that the manufacturer is out of stock. Is there a global shortage due to ATAS fuel problems?🤣🤣

Also, about the oil used for maintenance of this filter. I already have a K & N maintenance kit and would like to use it. (No problem, right?)

·
Registered
530 Posts
My Mechanical Engineering brain equates higher air flow claims to less filtration. Characteristic parameters are pressure drop (delta P) at specified pressure, temperature and flow volumes.
Only way to get more flow is a) larger filter area, or b) same area with less restrictive filter i.e. it lets larger dirt particles through.
Claims of more power with more air flow are total BS. Sells filters though.
I once had a K&N. Believed the marketing BS. Washed and re-oiled. Dumped the oil-wash down the sink or laneway or gravel driveway. Wasn't environmentally friendly. Was messy. Felt guilty.
These days I buy the Honda paper filters and when they're done I buy another pair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't like oiled filters either. I wasn't aware of availability issues but I am sure that it won't last long. The filters stay very clean on my 1000 so I would wait and reinstall OEM as the price of failure is too extreme for me.

12,000 miles on this one.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just wondering,
My '18 AT/AS/DCT is only about 7-8 months old (albeit it is an '18) and at presently has about 2000 or so miles on it. So, pretty safe to assume it's not in need of an air filter change and I will check the owners manual for the first mileage/frequency of the air filter change. But, just wondering, on an '18 AT/AS/DCT, how hard is it - what kind of time frame for a pretty good DYI type old guy to change these two filters? I think I red that some of you, like myself, migrated from a Honda GL 1800 Goldwing to the AT. And, if you that have done so, I would also assume you changed the air filter in it. Now, talk about one serious pain in the ASS to change a filter. The average DIY type that owned or owns, that model Goldwing, would take around a minimum of an hour to R&R that filter. So, I'm kind-a comparing the AT air filter change to that model Goldwing.
Scott

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not fussed about oiled or not to be honest. I have a safe place to dispose of the waste and the additional effort is minimal. According to Guglatech, dry, its filtration is equal to the OEM filter and oiled is superior for fine particles. They sent them pre-oiled at my request so we'll see how it goes.

As for getting into the science behind this stuff, I'm not even going to try. Materials science has come so incredibly far in the last couple of decades that I'm no longer surprised at what is possible.

Anecdotally, I wear a lot of different types of respiratory protection at work, SCBAs, full face canister masks, half canister masks and N95s. I can confidently say that despite having equal technical specifications and ratings, not all brands and models of the same type of protection offer the same amount of airflow. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello from Japan.
I also bought the filter. I'm waiting for installation now.
I was ordering to replace the main filter of the fuel pump at the same time, but I received a reply from the dealer that the delivery date was after mid-November. It seems that the manufacturer is out of stock. Is there a global shortage due to ATAS fuel problems?🤣🤣

Also, about the oil used for maintenance of this filter. I already have a K & N maintenance kit and would like to use it. (No problem, right?)
Doesn't seem to be a problem. They recommend a certain oil, but as long as its air filter oil I'm sure its fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like oiled filters either. I wasn't aware of availability issues but I am sure that it won't last long. The filters stay very clean on my 1000 so I would wait and reinstall OEM as the price of failure is too extreme for me.

12,000 miles on this one.
View attachment 58168
Original date was first week of November in Canada, now there is no date from the distributor. I'll be off the road by then. Not willing to end my season early because Honda can't supply a consumable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It does, it looks elegant. @7:03 LOL
grease up the foam gasket, you're golden.
If your in possession of the flanges, you can purchase CRF 1000 filters or the CRF 1100 filters.
I'm digging this Guglatech.

·
Super Moderator
3,825 Posts
That is a pretty high-tech Gugla* air filter bracket. It can only be - high-tech.

Pretty good video with important maintenance handling tips.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is a pretty high-tech Gugla* air filter bracket. It can only be - high-tech.

Pretty good video with important maintenance handling tips.
AaaaND we have not talked about the BETA ratio....

·
Registered
38 Posts
In an emergency, do what we used to do with car air filters when we couldn't afford a replacement. Take the filter out, bang it to get what you can and best case, use a vacuum on the intake side of the filter to suck dirt back out the way it went in.

·
Super Moderator
3,825 Posts
Heh, I do that in non-emergencies.

An emergency filter replacement on the AT is an operation.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've used the Hi-Flo Filtro filters as a replacement for the OEM. I think I did my filters last year at around 40,000 kilometres and I ride a lot of gravel and dusty roads. The paper OEM filter was still relatively clean on both sides. I'm not sure the K&N or Guglatech really offer much of an advantage in the long run. Plus the paper filters trap more dust and particles, so it's likely going to keep more stuff from getting into the engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been running the Guglatech air filters on my 18 ATAS for a few thousand miles now. I ordered them last year and just got around to installing them when I did fuel tank maintenance, cleaning and installing the Guglatech fuel sock on the fuel pump. I don't have any issues running oiled gauze or foam filters on motorcycles, on cars I usually just run OE or equivalent paper filters.

One issue with my order of air filters from Guglatech is they did not include the foam filter gaskets so I had to make my own and I used some narrow adhesive backed foam I had on hand. I've been meaning to contact Guglatech about this and also the fuel tank filler sock issue I have with the ATAS - the filler neck sock disrupts the fuel level sensor float so the fuel gauge is inaccurate and won't show a full tank and sometimes would get stuck. In experimenting I had to pull the sock about a third of the way out of the filler neck for the float to work properly. So I removed the filler sock from the tank because I require an accurate fuel gauge and it was damaged in the process due to the sharp metal on the underside of the filler neck despite being brand new. I don't know if this in ATAS specific problem with the larger fuel tank but I wouldn't recommend the Guglatech filler sock if you want an accurate fuel gauge.

On my ATAS, I don't find the air filter replacement terribly difficult once you familiarize yourself with the process. With the ATAS light bar, I drape a large microfiber towel over the light bar and am able to slide the side panels off without scuffing them.

I'll be removing the fuel tank again soon to install the aftermarket fuel pump and have my injectors cleaned/rebuilt so will take a look at the Guglatech filters again.

OE Honda filters, still very clean

Airbox looking good

Guglatech air filter

Can see the foam material I had to use for the filter gasket since was not supplied from Guglatech. I had to clean the plastic filter housing well in order for the adhesive on the foam to adhere to the filter housing.

I went back and did a second layer of foam to ensure good sealing, not shown here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts