Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been running the Guglatech air filters on my 18 ATAS for a few thousand miles now. I ordered them last year and just got around to installing them when I did fuel tank maintenance, cleaning and installing the Guglatech fuel sock on the fuel pump. I don't have any issues running oiled gauze or foam filters on motorcycles, on cars I usually just run OE or equivalent paper filters.

One issue with my order of air filters from Guglatech is they did not include the foam filter gaskets so I had to make my own and I used some narrow adhesive backed foam I had on hand. I've been meaning to contact Guglatech about this and also the fuel tank filler sock issue I have with the ATAS - the filler neck sock disrupts the fuel level sensor float so the fuel gauge is inaccurate and won't show a full tank and sometimes would get stuck. In experimenting I had to pull the sock about a third of the way out of the filler neck for the float to work properly. So I removed the filler sock from the tank because I require an accurate fuel gauge and it was damaged in the process due to the sharp metal on the underside of the filler neck despite being brand new. I don't know if this in ATAS specific problem with the larger fuel tank but I wouldn't recommend the Guglatech filler sock if you want an accurate fuel gauge.

On my ATAS, I don't find the air filter replacement terribly difficult once you familiarize yourself with the process. With the ATAS light bar, I drape a large microfiber towel over the light bar and am able to slide the side panels off without scuffing them.

I'll be removing the fuel tank again soon to install the aftermarket fuel pump and have my injectors cleaned/rebuilt so will take a look at the Guglatech filters again.

View attachment 58189

OE Honda filters, still very clean

View attachment 58190

View attachment 58191

Airbox looking good

View attachment 58192

Guglatech air filter

View attachment 58193

Can see the foam material I had to use for the filter gasket since was not supplied from Guglatech. I had to clean the plastic filter housing well in order for the adhesive on the foam to adhere to the filter housing.

View attachment 58194

I went back and did a second layer of foam to ensure good sealing, not shown here.

View attachment 58195
Perhaps they forgot to put it in. It was included in my product.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed the filter yesterday and went touring. My impression is that the performance is the same as the genuine one, or the air release is better than that. It also eliminates the afterfire that occurs when the filter is clogged. It also improves combustion stability at low speeds. (Even if you replace the genuine filter, it will be the same when it is new).

Even if the intake capacity increases, there is no need to worry about the air-fuel mixture becoming Lean burn. This is because the intake capacity of the air cleaner box is optimized by the size of the air supply port, so the air-fuel mixture does not become so thin that it causes combustion failure. (It's common to all replacement filters).

I run a lot off-road, so before the filter runs 10,000 kilometers, it gets clogged with dust and afterfires start to occur frequently.

This reusable Guglatech filter is a meaningful product for me, who often runs off-road. If you prepare two sets of filters, you don't have to wait for cleaning when you replace the filters. If you maintain the air filter at the same time as changing the oil, the Africa Twin will always be in good condition.

Have a gooday!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not fussed about oiled or not to be honest. I have a safe place to dispose of the waste and the additional effort is minimal. According to Guglatech, dry, its filtration is equal to the OEM filter and oiled is superior for fine particles. They sent them pre-oiled at my request so we'll see how it goes.

As for getting into the science behind this stuff, I'm not even going to try. Materials science has come so incredibly far in the last couple of decades that I'm no longer surprised at what is possible.

Anecdotally, I wear a lot of different types of respiratory protection at work, SCBAs, full face canister masks, half canister masks and N95s. I can confidently say that despite having equal technical specifications and ratings, not all brands and models of the same type of protection offer the same amount of airflow. Just my two cents.
Most of the time is spent removing the fairing. Once you have done it once, a filter change would take about 20-30 min each side.
Could double at least for the first time.
word of warning, be gentle removing the fairing the first time to avoid breaking off any of the plastic tabs. I broke one on my first go and had to do a plastic weld job to repair it which took even more time.
Not super helpful with this task but better than nothing is the instructions on bodywork in the shop manual. It will help you locate all the fixing spots for the fairing and remove some of the guesswork the first time.

My bike is 25000km in and I have removed this fairing at least 5 times for various reasons. wiring stuff, inspections, retrieving lost bolt! aaggrrr.

I imagine if you dump the bike into water and flood it, these fairings may have to come off as well.
On this one, would love to hear from anyone who has had the unfortunate experience of flooding the bike in a botched water crossing to know how to clear it. As far as I can tell, only one of the spark plugs is easliy accessable, and the issue of the fairings and air filters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Guglatech filters installed. As far as I could tell the 2020 AS needs the tank moved off its mount points to remove the air box covers. I had to pop the tank anyway to wire a SoundBomb, but a small annoying step in the future.

Filter install with the bracket was a breeze.

Immediate and drastic improvement in power. 19,000KM of dust and rain really packed the stock filters. Airbox was spotless. We'll see how they hold up next season.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One issue with my order of air filters from Guglatech is they did not include the foam filter gaskets so I had to make my own and I used some narrow adhesive backed foam I had on hand. I've been meaning to contact Guglatech about this and also the fuel tank filler sock issue I have with the ATAS - the filler neck sock disrupts the fuel level sensor float so the fuel gauge is inaccurate and won't show a full tank and sometimes would get stuck. In experimenting I had to pull the sock about a third of the way out of the filler neck for the float to work properly. So I removed the filler sock from the tank because I require an accurate fuel gauge and it was damaged in the process due to the sharp metal on the underside of the filler neck despite being brand new. I don't know if this in ATAS specific problem with the larger fuel tank but I wouldn't recommend the Guglatech filler sock if you want an accurate fuel gauge.
I had the same problem at first. When I had the tank off to inspect the Guglatech pump sock, I reached inside the tank through the fuel pump access hole, and slid the Guglatech Filler Filter over to the side away from the level transmitter. I have not had any issues with the fuel gauge in 4,000 miles. And yes, I have small hands.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After replacing the AT's air filter and fuel filter with guglatech, the AT's fuel economy has deteriorated by about 8%. How about you ?
But I think it's because the power went up and so I had fun opening the throttle too much. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Maybe the fuel economy is where it should be? I am wondering if by chance it was constrained before, maybe a bit lean?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After replacing the AT's air filter and fuel filter with guglatech, the AT's fuel economy has deteriorated by about 8%. How about you ?
But I think it's because the power went up and so I had fun opening the throttle too much. 🤣

View attachment 58657
I tend to ride the thing like an angry teenager, so I have tried to ignore how much fuel I burn.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts