Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed this afternoon that while sitting on my bike and reaching down to check the tension, the chain was quite tight. There is only about 5mm of travel there... Feels way too tight to me. IT feels fine when its on the center stand (I understand why), but under my weight I think its jsut too tight.

Question for y'all - when you are sitting on the bike and reach down the check the weighted slack in the chain, how much play are you getting?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
283 Posts
chain slack should be checked on the side stand, do a little search, read the manual

·
Registered
434 Posts
According to the user manual the chain slack is checked with the bike at the side stand and at a specific point (appr. at the middle of the swingarm). There is a sticker on the swingarm with a schematic and the allowable slack to help you.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi all,

I noticed this afternoon that while sitting on my bike and reaching down to check the tension, the chain was quite tight. There is only about 5mm of travel there... Feels way too tight to me. IT feels fine when its on the center stand (I understand why), but under my weight I think its jsut too tight.

Question for y'all - when you are sitting on the bike and reach down the check the weighted slack in the chain, how much play are you getting?

Thank you in advance!
Follow the owner's manual for proper set up while the bike is on the side stand. Once it is properly set, put the bike on the center stand and measure again. This will be the measurement to use when on the center stand. Since the center stand is optional and the side stand is standard equipment the owner's manual does not give slack for the centre stand.

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Follow the owner's manual for proper set up while the bike is on the side stand. Once it is properly set, put the bike on the center stand and measure again. This will be the measurement to use when on the center stand. Since the center stand is optional and the side stand is standard equipment the owner's manual does not give slack for the centre stand.
... well-worded in plain English. (y)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
To be fair to MarinMotoChef, there's nothing to say he hasn't read the manual, and he's wanting to know what play there is in the chain when a big guy is sitting on the bike.
You CAN do a measurement by the book when the bike is on the side stand ..... just. When the bike is on the centre stand and the chain correctly tensioned, you cannot measure the deflection because the chain impacts the underside of the swingarm BEFORE it reaches the limit of its possible travel.
A good quick check for correct adjustment is that on the sidestand the chain just misses the underside when clacked up and down, and when on the centrestand it makes quite a clacking noise as it just hits.
I've no idea what the play is with a heavy guy sitting on it but would be interested to know.
Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ok so, Going out on a limb here.

I feel that the owners manual is to vague.
Questions: On the sidestand what position should the pre-load be set on? Why does the DCT have more slack? (Same final drive train)
Its all relative and I think theres room to move.
My chain has finished stretching so I set the slack to the dct spec. (mines a manual)
With a slightly loose chain you might incur more snatch but better than tight one, chewing splines (wheel bearings?) etc. It shifts better. And your transmission will love you for it.
Water Boat Cartoon Vertebrate Gesture
ha

Edit: Correction, Not the DCT but rather the AS. My bad

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
407 Posts
We need swing arm pics showing the slack specified for each bike and then we need years and models...

Mine is a 2019 ATAS Manual

Bicycle Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle hub Automotive tire

Font Parallel Rectangle Paper Handwriting

The only difference between chain slack between models, that I can see, is between the Standard Model CRF1000A/D and the Adventure Sports Model CRF1000A II/ D II. the extra 10mm of slack due to the extra .9" of travel(for my year)

A= ABS (2016 was available without ABS, maybe 2017 as well)
D= DCT
II= Adventure Sports

I keep mine right around 50mm (2"). As long as you measure with the side stand and you are within the specified range(without a rider on the bike, doesn't matter what luggage you have on the bike or farkles) you should have no problems. Now if you have added 200lbs to the bike at all times, you will need to adjust your suspension to achieve the proper sag.

I have marked one of my wrenches that I keep in my tool kit with 50mm(because I am an CRF1000 A II). That way I can hold it to the bottom of the swingarm and measure quickly when I am doing my bike checks.

Also just to add a little more issues into the mix, a lot of mechanics that work on only road bikes will check the chain slack while weighting the seat and adjust accordingly (my local dealership tried to adjust my chain this way). This is all fine and dandy for a road bike with under 127mm(5" )of travel. When you start getting more travel you have to allow more slack.

I am not an engineer or a tech, I have just worked on bikes for a few years and I am a firm believer that the people who designed the bike set the specs for a reason... I just happily follow along.(y)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the correction.
Made that mistake before. doh

Reactions: TheMKoi

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,373 Posts
Lol…
Yea, I REALLY need to even check mine more often…
I have to much “slack” in my chain maintenance..
About the time I get to even checking it , the chain is swinging the n the breeze because it’s so loose…
ROFL One of these days I’ll have the bike up past 100 on some back dirt road and the chain will pop off and smack me in the back of the head for being stooopid just before it wraps around the axel and locks up the rear wheel..

• Wow
Reactions: GR8ESC and TheMKoi

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,373 Posts
Reactions: Sled
1 - 13 of 13 Posts