Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pored through this forum and many others before I made my purchase and everyone raved about the DCT. I rarely saw anything negative about it. I had the 2018 AFAS non-DCT (before I crashed it) and loved the thing. So after some research I went for the 2020 AFAS DCT, and love everything about the bike except for the DCT. D mode is a joke, and the only way I’ve gotten S3 to feel anywhere near enjoyable is if I’m in the twisties and braking super hard into a corner it will actually downshift to a proper gear to accelerate out of the turn. I’m practically relegated to using manual mode only to enjoy it. I must be doing something wrong. I’ve tried it with the G button on, torque control turned off etc. I bought it new so I don’t think it’s a malfunction. It just always feels like it doesn’t want to downshift to get it to where I can enjoy the powerband. Am I using it incorrectly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The DCT does need learning if you want to ride it hard. You can use manual but I normally use it auto in S mode . The fun comes on downshifts especially going downhill . Just press the downshift button as you get to corner once or even twice you then have engine braking and your in the right gear to power out of the bend.It does get it wrong sometime and thats when trail braking and brown trousers happen . if its a big downhill then I will switch to manual and get it to hold the gear I need . Occasionally when it gets it wrong in auto I have an argument with it pressing the down button several times as it keeps wanting to upshift on me . You do have to learn when and where to take full control .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DCT does need learning if you want to ride it hard. You can use manual but I normally use it auto in S mode . The fun comes on downshifts especially going downhill . Just press the downshift button as you get to corner once or even twice you then have engine braking and your in the right gear to power out of the bend.It does get it wrong sometime and thats when trail braking and brown trousers happen . if its a big downhill then I will switch to manual and get it to hold the gear I need . Occasionally when it gets it wrong in auto I have an argument with it pressing the down button several times as it keeps wanting to upshift on me . You do have to learn when and where to take full control .
Yeah, I’m definitely having the experience of being in S mode, and downshifting before I want to power out of a turn or overtake someone and it just annoyingly up shifting before I can get on it.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
345 Posts
I have a 2020 ATAS DCT. What mode are you in? Not talking about the transmission? You can individually dial-in the engine braking and power settings pretty easily on the 2020. Also if you have dial-a-wheelie set very conservatively it can limit acceleration too but totally preventing wheelies. I find my DCT is very responsive in most situations. I normally run it in S1 and setup the power and engine braking to what I want and it works well for me.

Keep in mind it seems to factor in the rate at which you twist the throttle when making its own decisions. If I gradually roll on the throttle, it may stay in a higher gear without downshifting whereas if I whack it open, it might downshift at least one gear, and possibly two, depending on the speed I am going.

Actually I find D mode pretty useful to keeping my bike quiet in my neighborhood and getting best fuel economy. If I whack the throttle open in a hurry it will still downshift. In normal driving I am pretty ok with it except when it is in too much of a hurry to upshift from lights. Keep in mind you can manually tap the shift levers to drop it down or up a gear.

If I am going about 25 mph in either D, S1, 2 or 3, and whack the throttle WFO in first gear in Tour mode, it will almost instantly downshift to first and loft the front wheel. Same as if I manually drop it one or 2 gears. The main difference I see is when it finally upshifts at WFO. D usually is about 7k, S1 is about 7300, then about 75-7600 (S2) and 77 to 7800 for S3. It never shifts at redline in any of the auto modes. No real benefit that I've seen in testing it by wringing it all the way to redline or the rev limiter.

In general I have found the DCT to be pretty adaptive and the 2020 DCT is definitely better than the 2018 in pretty much every area other than D upshifts too soon for me on either bike from a stop light.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Am I using it incorrectly?
No.
It is doing exactly what it was programmed to do.
I would suggest you use the throttle to communicate better with the ECU.
Throttle input is recognized by the ECU in three ways:

1. Throttle opening angle
2. speed of opening
3. speed of closing

If you feel the DCT is not responding as you would like, try experimenting with all three of the above inputs and see if YOU can learn to speak DCT.
The DCT, unfortunately, does not read your mind, yet :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2020 ATAS DCT. What mode are you in? Not talking about the transmission? You can individually dial-in the engine braking and power settings pretty easily on the 2020. Also if you have dial-a-wheelie set very conservatively it can limit acceleration too but totally preventing wheelies. I find my DCT is very responsive in most situations. I normally run it in S1 and setup the power and engine braking to what I want and it works well for me.

Keep in mind it seems to factor in the rate at which you twist the throttle when making its own decisions. If I gradually roll on the throttle, it may stay in a higher gear without downshifting whereas if I whack it open, it might downshift at least one gear, and possibly two, depending on the speed I am going.

Actually I find D mode pretty useful to keeping my bike quiet in my neighborhood and getting best fuel economy. If I whack the throttle open in a hurry it will still downshift. In normal driving I am pretty ok with it except when it is in too much of a hurry to upshift from lights. Keep in mind you can manually tap the shift levers to drop it down or up a gear.

If I am going about 25 mph in either D, S1, 2 or 3, and whack the throttle WFO in first gear in Tour mode, it will almost instantly downshift to first and loft the front wheel. Same as if I manually drop it one or 2 gears. The main difference I see is when it finally upshifts at WFO. D usually is about 7k, S1 is about 7300, then about 75-7600 (S2) and 77 to 7800 for S3. It never shifts at redline in any of the auto modes. No real benefit that I've seen in testing it by wringing it all the way to redline or the rev limiter.

In general I have found the DCT to be pretty adaptive and the 2020 DCT is definitely better than the 2018 in pretty much every area other than D upshifts too soon for me on either bike from a stop light.
I think you’ve got me about jamming the throttle wide open as it seems disjointed to do so when it’s in a higher gear. I’ve tried it a little but it didn’t give me the response I wanted. I’ll have to play with it more. I have been keeping it mostly in tour mode (when on road) T1 (or off), S3, W1, and tried with both the G button and without. I actually have had an ok experience with it in S3 and gravel mode on fire roads. Its kind of a predictable response.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No.
It is doing exactly what it was programmed to do.
I would suggest you use the throttle to communicate better with the ECU.
Throttle input is recognized by the ECU in three ways:

1. Throttle opening angle
2. speed of opening
3. speed of closing

If you feel the DCT is not responding as you would like, try experimenting with all three of the above inputs and see if YOU can learn to speak DCT.
The DCT, unfortunately, does not read your mind, yet :)
I’ll experiment tomorrow and report back. I think subconsciously it just feels odd to crack the throttle wide open when you’re in a higher gear. Thanks!

·
Registered
577 Posts
A lot of riders talk about WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on forums and I came to realize each one of them has a different idea of what they mean.
Some consider 50% while others call it WOT at 75%.
See for yourself what WOT means on the AT (with engine OFF)

When it comes to the DCT, it has to do the calculations and when you mean WOT, the ECU expects full rotation of the throttle.
This requires you the take the throttle hand off and re-position the fingers forward so that you can turn the maximum amount.
Most people ride in the comfort position (fingers resting on the throttle) which does not allow WOT.

Also, you don't need WOT to communicate a downshift to the ECU.
It been my experience that In most situations, a 50% open throttle will get you down a gear or two.

Reactions: rider_marc

·
Registered
170 Posts
i absolutely love my 2018 ATAS DCT.

I absolutely dont understand and even hate when people call the Africa Twin Adventure Sports, AFAS.

Why the "F"???

is it an Africa Fwin? or a Africa Twin??????

please explain the logic, or the lack of logic.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
I was the opposite after having my 16 model DCT for four years I traded it for a 2020 manual and hated the thing! After a 1000 miles I took the hit and went back to a DCT, for me it suits the AT and me. I would definitely suggest as others have said to experiment with the throttle application particularly in Drive setting. A friend of mine also had a bit of a headache adapting to DCT until he fitted the foot shifter kit, it transformed the experience for him. But its not for everyone and sometimes going on other peoples experiences off the Internet is not a good thing. Good luck hope it works out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Will try the foot shifter , i have foot shifter in all my three DCT .
(but i bought a 1100 without DCT )

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would also recommend setting up User 1 and maxing out the power, set the engine braking to your liking (more or less...I prefer more). Set the traction and wheelie intrusion to minimum. Set your suspension preloads to your liking.

The DCT has a myriad of settings that you have to apply to the correct situation. The trick is learning enough to make it intuitive. I use all the modes at some point. I also find that I go through moods. Some days I just want to hammer down and never leave User 1, which I basically think of as road racing mode. Other days, I'm mellow and hang out in Drive all day. Of course there are days when I adapt the modes to fit the situation I'm in on the fly. But it takes time to learn what the bike can do and how it responds. Take the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A lot of riders talk about WOT (Wide Open Throttle) on forums and I came to realize each one of them has a different idea of what they mean.
Some consider 50% while others call it WOT at 75%.
See for yourself what WOT means on the AT (with engine OFF)

When it comes to the DCT, it has to do the calculations and when you mean WOT, the ECU expects full rotation of the throttle.
This requires you the take the throttle hand off and re-position the fingers forward so that you can turn the maximum amount.
Most people ride in the comfort position (fingers resting on the throttle) which does not allow WOT.

Also, you don't need WOT to communicate a downshift to the ECU.
It been my experience that In most situations, a 50% open throttle will get you down a gear or two.

I absolutely dont understand and even hate when people call the Africa Twin Adventure Sports, AFAS.

Why the "F"???

typo

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good luck sorting this. While transmission choice divides opinion, IMO it is crucial that potential potential buyers do their own research and road tests rather than allow others to sway their opinion. I also think it depends on the type of riding you plan to do. I would encourage anyone without actual experience of DCT to think before ordering one. A manual is a known to us all, a DCT might suit us or might not. If in doubt, I would stay in safe territory and go manual. I realise this post will be like a red rag to a bull for the DCT die hards, some of whom find this subject a bit sensitive. I would add that I think DCT is a fantastic piece of engineering, fine in a car for me but less so on a bike. Then again, what do I know!

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
I'm not sure why it should be so sensitive although it seems to be the way nowadays to criticise other people's choices, back in the day it used to be that you ride not what you ride. I think Honda has been much more innovative than other manufacturers and provided a good choice for this bike, each to there own, I also have manual bikes that I enjoy riding but the AT DCT is my choice. Also, Shock and horror, my personal setting is lowest power mode 🤯

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
85 Posts
I'm in a similar spot as you, sort of.... I have had 8 bikes, all manual before the Africa Twin. If there had been a manual in the color, year and mileage I picked up my 2019 in, I would have without question picked that over the DCT. BUT, after test riding it I really did love the ability to "just ride" and not "worry" about shifting as much (especially since I motovlog). There is certainly a learning curve to the DCT as others have stated. All that being said, the one thing I HATE about the DCT is its ability to always UPSHIFT at the worst timing for my riding style. Typically this is mid-corner, or mid-hill when riding off-road, and has actually put me in dicey situations on more than one occasion. I had hoped that the DCT "learning my riding style" would have rectified these situations, but I have logged over 1200 miles since I bought it, and I can count on it to do the things I mentioned like clockwork.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good luck sorting this. While transmission choice divides opinion, IMO it is crucial that potential potential buyers do their own research and road tests rather than allow others to sway their opinion. I also think it depends on the type of riding you plan to do. I would encourage anyone without actual experience of DCT to think before ordering one. A manual is a known to us all, a DCT might suit us or might not. If in doubt, I would stay in safe territory and go manual. I realise this post will be like a red rag to a bull for the DCT die hards, some of whom find this subject a bit sensitive. I would add that I think DCT is a fantastic piece of engineering, fine in a car for me but less so on a bike. Then again, what do I know!
No issues at all with dissenting opinion from my point of view. If you like manual, go for it. The topic here is "help me like my DCT". I don't think we are selling cool aide in this thread.

A common issue I see many equipment conversations is simply the impact of change to a rider's perspective. It isn't the stated point, for example I don't like the brakes, or I don't like DCT, but rather "this isn't what I'm used to". No judgement in the perspective, it's valid. However, it is often equated to an absolute. "I don't like it" therefore "it is bad" and that is not the case.

Especially with DCT, because it does react so differently from a manual, it really does take some training time. There are things to do and not do that just don't apply to a manual transmission.

And at the end of the day, the rider may still prefer manual.

·
Registered
2018 AT Manual Clutch
59 Posts

Why the "F"???

OMG!!!! I got a really good laugh out of your post. I get it and agree with you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Given the chance, F will try to assert its dominance and overthrow T. R and G already have created an alliance against F. V, C and X have conflicts of their own and will never stand united against F. R stands with T, but not always against F.

It took a while for me to really learn the DCT. For me, it isn’t a set it and forget it transmission. I always find myself changing gears or settings for given circumstances. Other folks are happy with just letting it do its own thing. It isn’t perfect, but I still like it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts