Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
barkbusters are the obvious choice but getting them is a challenge.
Hepco & Becker ehh not like the look.
what about others acerbis etc ?
I sent email today to barkbuster to see about using pro tapers and a standard set of barkbusters.
the only thing special about this kit is it has a threaded insert that goes in the stock bars IMO. so why can't we just change bars and go with normal busters?
comments welcome.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay got email from bark busters. From what i gather late September for distribution. Only difference from standard setup is the threaded end. I'm going to find out if can drill it out or just get a bolt. They wouldn't even say yes can be done.
I see wanting to sell specific unit vs there standard set up.
the dtc has to have there setup from what email saying needed clearance for controls.
They had not tried swapping pro taper bars amd fitment.
Has anyone put pro tapers or other bars on?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put a set of Barkbuster Storm units on my AT and they fit perfectly. They use the OEM bar insert and dispense with bar end weight. I ordered them through my local bike shop and had them in 3 days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a set of Barkbuster Storm units on my AT and they fit perfectly. They use the OEM bar insert and dispense with bar end weight. I ordered them through my local bike shop and had them in 3 days.
Where do you live? And when did you order them? Was it just normal set of storm barkbusters? Or did you buy the AT specific set?
Basicly I am trying to find out if we can use any handguard on the market with a little modification. IE acerbis . Cycra.

From the email i got back the dtc has to have clearance. Standard not so we should be able to make any brand work after drilling the threads out of end of the bar or finding a correct bolt.? seems simple enough vs $150 specific fit that isn't easy to find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I live in Melbourne Australia and got them about 3 weeks ago. I purchased the AT model Barkbusters with Storm plastics. The AT set comes with a few extra bits if you have a DCT model. Mine is just a manual AT so the DCT bits just get thrown out. It took about 10 minutes to remove the OEM Honda ones and fit the Barkbusters. I am pretty happy with them and the fit. They cost $200AUS tho...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply. I will be getting some handguards and sizing them up. Pretty sure i could buy anything just about with a drop down for cables. Get the right bolt for stock bars and done. I will post soon as i can once i see about fitment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you now to see how much shipping is going to add to them. might as well get my fender raise kit at same time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Barkbusters are the clear choice and I have no complaints with the Storm plastic on my AT/DCT. Mounting was simple, straight-forward and easy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok clearly no one is really paying attention to my question.

The ? was has anyone fitted hand guards that are not specifically made for the AT . IE acerbis, Maier , Cycra etc.

I went to cycle gear & did some measuring etc & see no reason we can't use plain simple hand guards from any manufacture out there.
the cycra pro bends will fit easy & clear any cables etc on a non dtc from my opinion just by measure & visual holding next to the bike.

I also have watched tons of AT videos online there is several with metal hand guards that are not Barkbusters on the AT in a video. I just tried to find it again but no luck:crying:. I will try to find it when have more spare time. SO if anyone has fitted a non AT specific hand guard please post up some pictures. Thank you

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The ? was has anyone fitted hand guards that are not specifically made for the AT . IE acerbis, Maier , Cycra etc.

I went to cycle gear & did some measuring etc & see no reason we can't use plain simple hand guards from any manufacture out there.
the cycra pro bends will fit easy & clear any cables etc on a non dtc from my opinion just by measure & visual holding next to the bike.

I also have watched tons of AT videos online there is several with metal hand guards that are not Barkbusters on the AT in a video. I just tried to find it again but no luck:crying:. I will try to find it when have more spare time. SO if anyone has fitted a non AT specific hand guard please post up some pictures. Thank you
https://youtu.be/EvqBhmqNdRg 12;38 on video look at hand guards. no weight on end look like standard issue hand guards fir on the bike. :grin2:

·
Registered
465 Posts

I'd like to know as well as I just found out I receive 50% off Acerbis products. I've been looking at these:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well got cycras for the AT had to stop mid way through install. should have together soon. The amount of weight and brass inside this bar was insane. I will drop on the scale just to find out. Easy 2lbs. What a strange design I guess for vibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ill know tonight looking like a yes. might have to trim levers a half inch for clearance. Throttle side I'm still questioning. I got the bar pack pro bend set and pro taper mounts. Not the crm models may have to get them. I will know tonight.? as far as clearing the

1 - 20 of 40 Posts