Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a hefty solution like Barkbusters that utilizes the existing hardware including the handlebar weight bolts that retain the internal weights ? I'm seeing lots of nice looking stuff, but I can not find a single one that utilizes the factory bolt or their own bolt with a retainer for internal weight.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This was a concern for me as well. I considered getting the hepco becker guards, but I'm not really happy with the way they attach and someone reported them bending in a drop. I ordered the barkbusters last week and plan on installing them in a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi crstep. Thought the same of H&B. I like the design, but with such long spans don't think it will hold up to drops. I ordered Barkbuster and Kaoko throttle lock. I see two ways to retain the internal weights with this new stuff: drill/tap their M18 replacement bolt and attach a truss screw that fits snap ring (#4 in diagram ) or drill/tap OE bolt (#1) to accomodate M8 fastener that holds Barkbuster.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed the barkbuster storms on my DCT and had the same problems/questions regarding the weights. during my install, i was not able, or it detached the brass weight from the bar ends when taking out the stock set up. I tried and tried to get the brass part out with no luck. So the barkbusters are installed with the brass weight still in the handlebars on both sides. I believe the instructions said to leave the internals. I assumed that is what it meant?.?. Haven't rode yet, but install went pretty straight forward other than the weight. The brake reservoir had to be loosened and moved a bit for bracket to fit on throttle/brake side. Only concern is will those "internal" bars move around when riding? Interested in others thoughts...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hepco Becker guards add a cage to the existing plastic. Not sure about the mounting bits though

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
Is there a hefty solution like Barkbusters that utilizes the existing hardware including the handlebar weight bolts that retain the internal weights ? I'm seeing lots of nice looking stuff, but I can not find a single one that utilizes the factory bolt or their own bolt with a retainer for internal weight.
Barkbusters is the solution. You are specifically asking if any manufacturer has the nipple on their 18mm threaded adapter - not that I have found.

The internal anti-vibe thingy is held in place with rubber o-rings. Removal of the Honda factory bolt and hand guards (air deflectors in reality) pulls the internal anti-vibe thingy partly out of the bars - it is a bugger to stuff it back in far enough to thread in the Barkbuster adapter. No way that anti-vibe thingy is going anywhere.

Follow the instructions - the Barkbusters bolt on fast and clean - and are plenty strong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Highway Dirt Bikes replaces the spacers and bolts to fit their guards but keeps the internal weights. They are the stout guards.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/

·
Registered
726 Posts
Highway Dirt Bikes replaces the spacers and bolts to fit their guards but keeps the internal weights. They are the stout guards. https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/
Agreed. HDB extend their 'handguard bar' to the centre handlebar clamps. This is a stronger implementation than Barkbusters, which clamp to the bars at the top of the rise.
HDB uses a similar 18mm-8mm adapter to bark busters - neither HDB or Barkbusters has the Honda type clip-retainer for the internal vibration damper.
HDB does have some really cool options for switches on the centre handlebar clamp - but for us Canadians with a 70-cent US dollar exchange, it's easier to buy in Canada. Free shipping and no border duties to be paid on Barkbusters from Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/stand...ion-package-for-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-16

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will not buy the Barkbusters.

I do not like the shields nor the backbone aluminum stock material.

The Hepco Beckers are kooky if you've got any offroad experience at all.

The HDB, although I like the idea, could use a bit of a style tweak if you ask me.

The shape and the amount of steel involved...it's almost overkill and is quite expensive for those of us in Canada.

I do like the direction of some of the HDB products however, I just can't dish out that much for a set of handguards.

Lord have mercy, will a vendor please sell a 8-18mm adapter please?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will not buy the Barkbusters.

I do not like the shields nor the backbone aluminum stock material.

The Hepco Beckers are kooky if you've got any offroad experience at all.

The HDB, although I like the idea, could use a bit of a style tweak if you ask me.

The shape and the amount of steel involved...it's almost overkill and is quite expensive for those of us in Canada.

I do like the direction of some of the HDB products however, I just can't dish out that much for a set of handguards.

Lord have mercy, will a vendor please sell a 8-18mm adapter please?
Could you elaborate on your comment about the Hepco Beckers?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Search Machineartmoto ADVance Guards. Saw these at the AIM expo and on YouTube. These are more oriented towards ADV bikes (fits AT) and not an adaptation of MX hand guards. The guard is solid aluminum and looks like it can take serious impacts. They also have a modular design so you can adjust air-flow with little inconvenience and no tools. Mounts are really solid and the kit seems very complete. They do also retain stock end weights. Nothing wrong with Bark Busters, but these are a notch above in terms of durability, finish, fit, and features.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts