Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am Roberto and new to this forum.
I have been riding motorcycles for more than 40 years now and due to polio on my lower extremities I can not switch gears with my left foot so, all of my bikes had been scooters, starting long time ago with a 50cc scooter until my last scooter I still own a 2017 BMW 650 C.
Then, looking for something bigger I could ride, actually a Honda ADV 750cc scooter, I ran into the Honda Africa Twin DCT and my life changed!!
To make a long story short I just got my 2019 AT and put 1,000 km on it on the first week.
I can not believe the smart that automatic transmision is!!! It seems like it is reading my mind when shifting.
I have not riden my bike off road yet but I will as soon as I get it back from the 1,000 km service.
This has been a great discovering for a handicap rider as me and I think out there are many riders in my condiction who still does not know about this wonderfull motorcycle that can get us back on the road again.
I am planing my first long ride for april. A two thousand miles ride in 5 days time and I am a little nervous to see If I can get along with this bike as it is bigger than anything I have ridden before.
Will post a report afterwards, for better or worst.
I am very excited!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Roberto! My father has polio too, and he only rode scooters. It sounds like you have found the perfect bike. Safe travels!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Planing a trip in a couple of weeks to Texas Hill Country.
This will be the first "real" trip for my 2019 AT DCT. We will ride about 2,000 miles in 5 days time and attend the Moto GP race at COTA speedway in Austin,TX.
We'll see how this bike performs on longer trips. So far, it has done great in shorter rides!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys:
Back from Texas Hill Country ride. 2,300 kilometers of some of the greatest motorcycle trails un the world and, the real test for me and my AT DCT.
All I have to Say is that we both, me and my bike, aproved the test.
The bike was impecable on the road and off road, I include a couple of pictures below.
Next task? A 6,000 kilometers trip all the way through the Baja Península to San Francisco California, Las Vegas, New Mexico, Tucson Arizona, Texas and back to México.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
What trails in the hill country? or are you talking about the roads? Im about an hour from the hill country but as all texans know offroading in texas is limited to ride parks unless you go out to far west texas or you belong to a private club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What trails in the hill country? or are you talking about the roads? Im about an hour from the hill country but as all texans know offroading in texas is limited to ride parks unless you go out to far west texas or you belong to a private club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The off road part of this trip was on the Mexican side near Laredo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure we did drive through Lukenbauch. We placed our "Base Camp" at Kerville and from there, we ride about 350 Miles each day. We ride The Three Sisters, the Three Brothers, Medina, Boerne, Hunt, Leakey and many beautifull towns.
People is very friendly and the scenery is second to none.
We plan on going back on summer!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just added some highway pegs to my 2019 AT DCT.
Eventhough they are not very far appart from the original, they make all the difference in riding confort during long highway rides.
Here are some pictures

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts