Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so far done about 900 miles on my new Africa twin - which I love.

I have a certain amount of vibration through the handle bar which is to be expected from this type of bike/engine. but when you take both hands off the handle bar the handle bars shake and it gets worse. all bikes I have ridden including my previous bike which was a Triumph Tiger will happily track true with no hands on the handle bars.

it is worse when I have my top box on.

please note - I obviously have no need to ride with no hands but it concerns me there may me sometime wrong or the suspension is set up incorrect etc.

the garage in London say there is nothing wrong.

thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for the response. I haven't - and I am a heavy guy at 6"4' and 95kg - so may be the issue!

I never touch the suspension on my tiger but heard that I may have to on the AT.

are you able to provide a link/you tube video on how to do this? am I able to do without a centre stand?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
thank you very much for the response. I haven't - and I am a heavy guy at 6"4' and 95kg - so may be the issue!

I never touch the suspension on my tiger but heard that I may have to on the AT.

are you able to provide a link/you tube video on how to do this? am I able to do without a centre stand?

thanks in advance.
There is a thread here on the topic: Rear Suspension Sag Setting

I am at 31 clicks, personally. Probably could use more.

What is not well described is where the setting is made. If you look at your rear shock from the left side, you will see a dial at the top. Turn to the right to add clicks, turn to the left to remove them. Factory setting is 7. There's a lot more turning than you expect to get a click.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm about the same weight as you and I've got the suspension (preload) cranked all the way up and I still can't get the proper sag. So definitely set that preload, it will help even if you can't get it exactly where you need it...

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey OP: 'headshake' is a standard condition when your bike is too low in the ass.

The fact that you're a big guy is the entire reason possibly.

If you are a really big guy, then that's all that's going on.

You know when you are pushing a shopping cart and one wheel starts oscillating like crazy?

Same thing is happening because the bike, being low in the back as reduced the steering angle somewhat.

If you raise the back, it will most likely get it back into the good zone and it should eliminate that tendency. If you adjust the entire way and it's still doing it, I'd definitely take it to a shop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first bike, a 2001 R6, used to vibrate and shake when I first got it. I had no clue what was wrong. I was chatting with a stranger about it and he showed me how to check the front suspension settings. Turns out one fork was two clicks out and the other was six clicks out. **** dealer carelessly slapped it together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My current suspension setup for road use. I'm 105kg with only a top box. A lil tip for those who dont know how to do this; 'full hard -1' means u turn it towards H till max then u turn it back a notch. Same for the rest..and vice versa for soft. Hope this helps. This is just a guide, u can fine tune it to suit ur needs and comfort. Found new love for my AT after this.

Front.
Preload full hard -1
Rebound full hard -1
Compression soft +7

Rear
Preload full hard -17

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
My current suspension setup for road use. I'm 105kg with only a top box. A lil tip for those who dont know how to do this; 'full hard -1' means u turn it towards H till max then u turn it back a notch. Same for the rest..and vice versa for soft. Hope this helps. This is just a guide, u can fine tune it to suit ur needs and comfort. Found new love for my AT after this.

Front.
Preload full hard -1
Rebound full hard -1
Compression soft +7

Rear
Preload full hard -17

i was under the impression that the rear is really soft on these bikes and that someone your weight (same as me btw) would need it full hard. no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i was under the impression that the rear is really soft on these bikes and that someone your weight (same as me btw) would need it full hard. no?
Full hard on the preload would not be comfortable for my taste. Plus im leaving room when I have panniers later on. I did not mention previously but you can adjust the rebound/compression on the screw at the bottom of the rear suspension

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ref the above 3 posts - I too am surprised that you are setting the rear preload relatively low if you are a big guy. I am 80 kilos and to get close to the required rider sag I need fully on minus 12 clicks. This gives me 75mm rider sag rear and I'm happy with this as I'm getting 74mm at the front leaving the preload as it came. (The rear shock is however too weak even for my 80kg as at the rear 43mm of that 75mm is produced by the bike on its own and as I understand it, it would be better if about 20-25mm was produced by the bike with a further 50-55mm when I sat on it. The bike comes as standard with fully on minus 28 clicks if I recall correctly.
It MAY be more comfortable for a heavy guy to set the preload lower than it should be but as other posters have mentioned it's likely to be the cause of the OP's problem.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts