Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many owners have Twins with crooked handlebar mounts? I'm not talking about tweaked fork tubes that can be straightened out by loosening pinch bolts on the upper and lower fork tree brackets and locking the front wheel against something and applying force on one bar end. Looking straight down from above the bars and seeing misalignment in relation to the tops of the fork caps.
When I took delivery of my bike I literally rode around the block and back to the dealer because of the crooked bars. At first the dealer said the bars were bent from shipping, and replaced them. Problem not fixed. We looked at other Twins on showroom floor, one had a worse alignment issue than mine, the other was perfect, spot on.
What it looks like to me is either the casting is varying with the location of the bar mount bosses in relation to where the fork tube holes are, or the tolerances in the drilling of the bar mount holes related to the fork tube holes is sloppy. Pictures were taken by service manager and sent to Honda corporate. Honda is "investigating the issue".

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do you have pics of said alignment issues?

Because yesterday on my ride home I noticed my left arm/elbow was hurting every time I grabbed the handlebar. My left arm felt like I was reaching out further than my right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Guys do a search this has been trashed before. Mine was the same way, what I did was loosen the bar risers align and re tighten. The risers are rubber mounted and they must be tightening them up before putting the bars on and there not aligned and wont move because the friction of the rubber so the bars move to meet the risers. When you loosen them and relieve the tension from the rubbers they align themselves, hold them straight and re tighten

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm willing to try anything. I'll try the riser bolt thing when I get home, itll be next week, but if it were that simple of a fix, I wonder why the dealer techs spent so much time swapping bars and generating a corporate "investigation ". Also wonder why Honda engineers wouldn't have suggested the same thing. But having worked alongside engineers at Douglas Aircraft and Boeing, I also know having the title 'engineer' doesn't necessarily mean you're packing the sharpest blade in the room.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Guys do a search this has been trashed before. Mine was the same way, what I did was loosen the bar risers align and re tighten. The risers are rubber mounted and they must be tightening them up before putting the bars on and there not aligned and wont move because the friction of the rubber so the bars move to meet the risers. When you loosen them and relieve the tension from the rubbers they align themselves, hold them straight and re tighten
Ditto- I pulled the bushings from the triple clamp and re-torqued. All is well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts