Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 ES
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Handlebars seem a little too far away. I have to lean forward and I often find my arms locking straight instead of keeping loose. I've read posts that mention adjustable risers, but I've also read about issues and alternates. And the posts were old. And I'm inexperienced.

I'm 5'11", t-rex arms. '22 adventure sport manual. What would the recommendation be? Is leaned forward normal for this bike? Is there a tradeoff with a more upright position?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Protaper makes EVO Adventure Handlebars. I believe we have a thread or two on them somewhere. There are two different bends. I'm not sure about fit, likely the lower of the two fits without issue, but the taller may need work...
I'd change the bar before adding any taller risers.
Protaper bars

Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Event

·
Registered
676 Posts
You mention you're inexperienced and also not very comfortable on your new ATAS compared to your previous KLR so probably a lot going on right now when riding.

Replacement bars will require a bit of work to refit the original or aftermarket guards like Barkbusters - drilling and tapping the ends for the threaded insert bits and locating holes for controls.

This Brett Tkacs handlebar riser video may offer some insight. It's mostly tailored to taller riders but worth watching to get to 12 minute mark where and why risers could be benefit you.

·
Premium Member
2022 ES
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is more difficult than I imagined. I'm leaning toward the risers because I like the gold bars and feel more comfortable about the installation. Is there a wrong answer here?

Update: on a 300 mile ride I was definitely bothered by the handlebar distance. The upper-middle of my back was fatigued. And with winter layers on it made it even worse. Also, having tense, extended/locked arms I believe is contributing to poor throttle control and fatigue in my throttle hand.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I installed Rox risers for the same reasons. I’m short so the reach to the bars was not comfortable after a while. Definitely better. Also, do some stretching, get your shoulders and upper back loosened up. When it’s cold it’s worse so I wear a heated jacket liner. Keeps my neck and back warm, helps a lot.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
912 Posts
I haven't seen the rox speed fx ones before, they look nice. The other rox posted I had tried on the tiger, hated the fitment. Word of caution, changing any angle of the bars can lead to problems. It might put the mirrors in the windshield or the bars in the tank, you just never know what will change.

Reactions: Grigs

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES
107 Posts
Handlebars seem a little too far away. I have to lean forward and I often find my arms locking straight instead of keeping loose. I've read posts that mention adjustable risers, but I've also read about issues and alternates. And the posts were old. And I'm inexperienced.

I'm 5'11", t-rex arms. '22 adventure sport manual. What would the recommendation be? Is leaned forward normal for this bike? Is there a tradeoff with a more upright position?
I installed the ones 2" one I put in the picture above and I have no clearance issues. the bars don't hit the windscreen or the tank. there is much more clearance between the bars and the tank, and I like yourself am on the shorter side. I'm 5'9" and was leaning forward and after the risers were installed, I am much more comfortable sitting more upright, and my arms are not stretched to reach the bars. I recommend them and with the adjustability of them I think its a great buy!! I will try to get some pics up maybe tonight for you.

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES
107 Posts
I am 5'8" with 29" inseam but don't really need to stretch to the bars and have a slight bend in my elbow. Stretch a bit on full lock but that is about it, maybe my arms are longer to make up for my short legs :D
Maybe I'm more T-Rex then I thought I was lol

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
I installed the ones 2" one I put in the picture above and I have no clearance issues. the bars don't hit the windscreen or the tank. there is much more clearance between the bars and the tank, and I like yourself am on the shorter side. I'm 5'9" and was leaning forward and after the risers were installed, I am much more comfortable sitting more upright, and my arms are not stretched to reach the bars. I recommend them and with the adjustability of them I think its a great buy!! I will try to get some pics up maybe tonight for you.
... just double check any tank bags you might use when using 2" Rox Risers.

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
This is more difficult than I imagined. I'm leaning toward the risers because I like the gold bars and feel more comfortable about the installation. Is there a wrong answer here?

Update: on a 300 mile ride I was definitely bothered by the handlebar distance. The upper-middle of my back was fatigued. And with winter layers on it made it even worse. Also, having tense, extended/locked arms I believe is contributing to poor throttle control and fatigue in my throttle hand.
I had a similar experience, but the 2" Rox Risers did relieve the symptoms noticeably. No regrets gettin' 'em.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thank you, gentlemen! Trigger pulled.
View attachment 76824
That’s what I have. They are a little tricky to get properly aligned with so many moving components. Cover your tank with a blanket or thick towels to avoid scratches. Lightly tighten then carefully turn to full lock both ways to make sure nothing hits windshield or tank.

·
Premium Member
2022 ES
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The risers worked great! Exceeded my expectations. Way more comfortable. My back is relaxed, arms relaxed. Seating is further back into the comfy bits of the seat. Turning I noticed is much easier I'm not reaching far. And the extra bend in my elbows feels really good when I get aggressive, I can get right up on the bars and get much better leverage. Standing up feels much more natural. And I can see all the buttons clearly now. Found my hazard button.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts