Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm 90 kg and 185 cm, and mostly ride my '17 AT at asphalts for 3 years. Besides its uncorfortable seat I fell very comfortable with the handlebar. I always used handlebar risers on my previous Varadero, Transalps and old AT but not on my '17 AT. Do you think a riser will improve my riding or comfort? Any pros and cons will be good. Thanx.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
IF you have not adjusted your handlebars, try that, the dealer just puts then parallel to the forks. Try moving them, it might help.
But I do think that at your height some risers wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Reactions: Bulloween

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm about your size and I like the 2" Rox risers, rotated back a bit. Makes my back straighter, which helps comfort. I bought some additional 1" Rox spacers when they were on closeout, but I think those might be a step too far. Just about can't reach the far grip at full lock. Have to be aware when making left turns, the DCT can get feisty.

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
I am about the same height and do not used risers (yet). Everybody is unique. Not easy to say one tweak will benefit another, especially in regards to items like the seat. For example: I find the seat quite comfortable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am about the same height and do not used risers (yet). Everybody is unique. Not easy to say one tweak will benefit another, especially in regards to items like the seat. For example: I find the seat quite comfortable.
You're right, it's very subjective, risers are not a pricy parts, but before I buy them first I need to learn as much I can :D. The seats of my AT is standart but I get tired after 3-4 hours. I can stand 8-9 hours on my Varadero, 4-5 hours on my CBR 1100. (Data came from my butt :))

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
You're right, it's very subjective, risers are not a pricy parts, but before I buy them first I need to learn as much I can :D. The seats of my AT is standart but I get tired after 3-4 hours. I can stand 8-9 hours on my Varadero, 4-5 hours on my CBR 1100. (Data came from my butt :))
lol - I guess I need to reach the 3 - 4 hour mark to get that kind of final judgement out of my seat. To be determined! I can get 2 hours without issue and that is 100% better than my previous machines. I am not sure if my fuel will last to 3+ hours, as well as my water[ing] and feeding needs. :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
lol - I guess I need to reach the 3 - 4 hour mark to get that kind of final judgement out of my seat. To be determined! I can get 2 hours without issue and that is 100% better than my previous machines. I am not sure if my fuel will last to 3+ hours, as well as my water[ing] and feeding needs. :)

This has got the makings of one of those public service films they used to show in school.
We just need the chatter of film going through the projector.
The wobbly cheesy music
And the monotone announcer saying;

KNOW
THE
LIMITATIONS
OF
YOUR!
BUTT

just kidding

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi guys I'm 90 kg and 185 cm, and mostly ride my '17 AT at asphalts for 3 years. Besides its uncomfortable seat I fell very comfortable with the handlebar. I always used handlebar risers on my previous Varadero, Transalps and old AT but not on my '17 AT. Do you think a riser will improve my riding or comfort? Any pros and cons will be good. Thanx.
Im the same height & road my my 2017 DCT for 18 months with Rox 2" risers , I took them off about 6 months ago & changed the bars to a flatter straighter bar (ODI KTM oem EXC500 bars) & wow what a transformation that has made, the bike feels so much smaller, has better manoeuvrability & is much more comfortable riding both sitting & standing, wrists arent bent at an unnatural angle, I can now understand why a lot of riding instructors dont recommend bar risers unless your a Giraffe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys I'm 90 kg and 185 cm, and mostly ride my '17 AT at asphalts for 3 years. Besides its uncorfortable seat I fell very comfortable with the handlebar. I always used handlebar risers on my previous Varadero, Transalps and old AT but not on my '17 AT. Do you think a riser will improve my riding or comfort? Any pros and cons will be good. Thanx.
I am 5' 10" and also ride my AT a lot on paved or semi-paved roads and rarely on the dirt, but I would feel cramped (my legs bent) so I put a touratech bar riser which raised and pushed it back. Now my butt touches the pillion seat and my legs are relaxed but now when I ride on the dirt I have to remind myself to move forward as it's unloaded my front and traction gets poor. Maybe I should've just turned my bars up a little bit...

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
711 Posts
Hola Bull,

I'm 140 kgm geared up and 200 cm tall in boots. I added a set of 2 cm SW Motech risers and it made for a very nice change in riding & standing position. I could use a little more but this is satisfactory.

Now I need to address the suspension.

Reactions: Bulloween
1 - 11 of 11 Posts