Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6000km i realised i need to have a less straight back to be comfy, so I wanted to unscrew the clamp and see if I can find a better position for my comfort.

The 4 screws just will not budge, I used WD40 and even a tube on the allen key to have more leverage, it just wont give so any advice to unfasten the handlebar !?

·
Registered
121 Posts
They're on there tight from the factory, you'll need a cheater on an allen key for sure. I use a hex socket and long handle ratchet and it was still a bit nerve-wracking breaking them loose first time. Spec is 32nm/24ftlb just for reference when you go to retighten.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure you have a quality Allen wrench socket and breaker bar if it's that tight. A regular allen wrench will flex while trying to turn the bolts. Plus the metal on a cheap socket or Allen wrench will be softer and can strip the inside of the bolts where it goes in.
I just installed new handlebars and roxx risers on mine and the bolt were very tight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I finally managed **** I'm surprised the screw didn't break doesn't look like 32 Nm to me !

Unfortunately it's not enough, seems i need rox risers and put them horizontal or buy a flat bar...

Reactions: motoguy500

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the 2" Roxx risers. It made a huge difference in my riding position. Now the bar is higher and sets back closer to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the 2" Roxx risers. It made a huge difference in my riding position. Now the bar is higher and sets back closer to me.

Nice, though I don't want higher, it's just that with straight body position my back hurts like **** on road trips.
So I removed the handguards to try and rotate the bars further, but the pullback angle doesn't allow you to do that much, I'm wondering if flat bars wouldn't feel better for me !

·
Registered
388 Posts
+1 on the Roxx risers--they helped my back problem. And the bolts were tight as a tick on mine as well. If you try to loosen them after they've just been tightened they'll come easier--the breakaway torque is higher after they get to know each other for a while.

On the long trip I just made, my big duffel was strapped across the pillion and acted as a backrest. Helped more than the risers, really.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the Roxx risers--they helped my back problem. And the bolts were tight as a tick on mine as well. If you try to loosen them after they've just been tightened they'll come easier--the breakaway torque is higher after they get to know each other for a while.

On the long trip I just made, my big duffel was strapped across the pillion and acted as a backrest. Helped more than the risers, really.
Which size did you fit on yours, I measured the 2" would fit but not further !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Which size did you fit on yours, I measured the 2" would fit but not further !

I had some 2", so I used them. You're right, you can't get any taller ones on there without cable work. I had to pull the management clips and just let the cables and brake hose flop a bit.

The factory risers for the ATAS appear to be longer than earlier and they're about $100US a set. Anybody know if they fit? Or if they'd be worth it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same back issues and fitted Rox Speed up 30mm and back 20mm. Arm chair comfort now.
I just moved the bars up a bit and the ride felt awfull to me, my elbows were lower than my wrist, I really need lower and closer to the dashboard !

Anyone tried removing the clamps, I'm thinking it might be easier to install lower clamps, than change the handlebar as well !?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts