Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had forgotten just how steep and treacherous Hardknott pass in the English Lake District is. A couple of times if a car had appeared the only place for me to put my foot down disappeared into space at a crazy angle. And then there were cyclists determined not to dismount at any point in the ridiculously steep climb. This meant a speed of maybe 1 mph and their bike wobbling over the full 5 ft width of the road. So you can't pass them and the AT can't wobble as much as a push bike particularly fully loaded with panniers. Scary
The Drunken Duck pub at the end of the ride was absolutely brilliant.
Pictures to follow

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Planning on doing as many of the Lake District as possible later in the year.
Think I might drop my seat on to its lower setting as normally I'm on the balls of my feet.
I take it the Hard Knott Pass is the most treacherous and needs plenty of forward planning to try and avoid any major issues in regards to stopping in bad places.
Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planning on doing as many of the Lake District as possible later in the year.
Think I might drop my seat on to its lower setting as normally I'm on the balls of my feet.
I take it the Hard Knott Pass is the most treacherous and needs plenty of forward planning to try and avoid any major issues in regards to stopping in bad places.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Low seat position is an excellent idea. Should have used it myself. Other than that it's pot luck whether you meet something big in the wrong place. Don't do it in bad weather - floods ice or very strong winds. Try to keep moving even if only slowly as the footing is very poor. The suspension of the AT is ideal for it though
Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Low seat position is an excellent idea. Should have used it myself. Other than that it's pot luck whether you meet something big in the wrong place. Don't do it in bad weather - floods ice or very strong winds. Try to keep moving even if only slowly as the footing is very poor. The suspension of the AT is ideal for it though
Mike
Watched a few videos on YouTube and iv come to the conclusion that you need to be 100% committed on some of the turns and be in the right gear so not having to down change mid corner causing you to loose your momentum and sending you off balance,this seems to be a common mistake iv seen riders make,especially if two up and loaded.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watched a few videos on YouTube and iv come to the conclusion that you need to be 100% committed on some of the turns and be in the right gear so not having to down change mid corner causing you to loose your momentum and sending you off balance,this seems to be a common mistake iv seen riders make,especially if two up and loaded.
Not wishing to start a DCT versus manual debate, but mine's a DCT and I never had to think about the gear I was in - and it changed gear plenty of times mid corner with no problems. Of course one of the commonest causes of coming off on steep hairpins when you are slowed down by others is stalling, and the DCT just doesn't do that
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts