Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some thoughts/opinions here from the more experienced AT owners on hard luggage for my new bike. Just trying to gather some data so I can make a decision.

So in a nutshell I am looking for a top case and also hard side bags. I have kind of narrowed it down to Touratech Zega Pro’s, Bumot, SW Motech and the Givi Outback in no particular order. I am also open to a combo as well since think they all seem to have some plusses for me and drawbacks. I would really like one key for everything but I'm not sure if I can get there or not.

Lets start with the top case. My last bike was pretty much never without its top case and I use it to carry my backpack for work daily in the summer so that needs to fit in there. My old Multistrada had a 48L Ducati top case and my backpack fit in it well but lengthwise it pretty much took up the entirety of the bottom of the box. I could put things like a jacket on top but not much else. My pack is said to be 25l but it seems like it takes up a lot more room than that.

For my use I am thinking the 58L Givi Trekker Outback would be great, I also like that it can take two helmets with room to spare if we are riding two up and stop somewhere. My only reservation with it is it looks so massive. The measurements are not all that much bigger than my old box despite a much greater capacity and not much bigger than the Givi 47L on my wife’s bike, its like an inch to an inch and a half in every direction but boy does it look overly huge in every picture I have seen. Does anyone have this one and what do you think of the size of it? They also make a 42L box which may work but I don’t know the interior dimensions and it won’t hold two helmets. Bumot also makes a 41L box, same deal as the Givi 42. I am not sure that the 38L boxes from SW Motech or Touratech would work. Does anyone have the interior dimensions of those? The top case is a pretty important one for me since its always on the bike and used almost daily. I commute with it and also use it for errands, think things like light grocery shopping etc. I plan to take a ride to Twisted Throttle possibly on Saturday to see the Givi and SW Motech boxes live, its an hour drive but an hour well spent....

That brings me to the panniers. My Multi had a set that was 58L total and they fit real tight to the bike which I liked. It was like 38” with the panniers installed. It looks like no matter what I go with I will gain some space which is a great thing since those 58L bags were not really great for 2up travel even as a space to just throw our gear if we went to dinner on the bike or something like that it was hard to get it all in.

My biggest concern is with width of the bike with the bags on it. I am having trouble finding installed specs on all of these units. Touratech and Givi do have it listed but I cant seem to find info for the other two. The Givi set looks really super wide as does the SW Motech set, I believe the Givi is 44” on the bike which is wide. Does anyone have the SW Motech and how wide is it? The Touratech and Bumot look like I can setup a few different ways depending on my needs and the smallest bags on the Touratech is 39” wide which i like.

At this point I’m leaning to the Touratech Zega Pro for a few reasons. I like that the bags on this line are not side specific so I can have a couple different configurations. For example. I could get the 31l for the right and the 38L for the left or use when we are local or if we take both her bike and my bike on a road trip. I could then get a single 45l box, put the 38l on the right and the 45 on the left for times when we are 2 up on a long trip and need the space. It looks really flexible in that way were I could have my most commonly used setup be not much wider than my old bike but with more space yet still be able to expand easily for the times I need it and for the cost of only one box. I also like that the lids come off and can open from the front or the rear. Does anyone have these units and how are they?

The Bumot’s look good too, the only gripe I have with them is the hinge, I do not like that it swings to the outside of the bike, I feel like it would make loading it harder and based on that alone I almost have ruled them out.

Am I on the right track here in my thinking or does anyone have any other options they could lend? If anyone has any pictures of their setups they could share or measurements that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was looking cases for my bike and I went for Givi Trekker Outback series
Extremely sturdy and well built.best locking mechanism....in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went for Bumot exactly because they swing to the outside of the bike.. which seems far more convenient to me. I dont get why this is an issue. The second reason is the exhaust side fits around the exhaust... so a much more balanced appearance. third reason is the extremely competitive price point. And they look great.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I went for Bumot exactly because they swing to the outside of the bike.. which seems far more convenient to me. I dont get why this is an issue. The second reason is the exhaust side fits around the exhaust... so a much more balanced appearance. third reason is the extremely competitive price point. And they look great.

Edit to remove my previous comment on the lids.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Do find the width to be an issue, they look awfully wide. 44 inches from the specs you gave. That’s a 6” wider than my old bike was. Also does the top box interfere with the lid on the left any? From the look of your pic it might.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do find the width to be an issue, they look awfully wide. 44 inches from the specs you gave. That’s a 6” wider than my old bike was. Also does the top box interfere with the lid on the left any? From the look of your pic it might.

No interfering at all.....
So top case is 58 litres
Left side 48 and right side 37 ltrs
Top case keeping as a storage for motorcycle related stuff.....
Left is wide enough to accommodate full face helmet(Shoei GT-Air) plus gloves belt and etc.....
Right side is for now empty
Only let say small thing regarding outback side cases is that they don’t have handle for carrying like Givi Dolomiti side cases

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I did a lot more looking and i am thinking the direction that the lids swing is way less of an issue then i thought. Given my change of thought i think the Bumot is viable option for me. I really like how slim they fit to the bike. I could go with the 40/36 cases and be at the same width as my old multi was with ~20L more overall pannier room.

I noticed they also have a top case as well but only offer a 30L in the defender EVO for the 2018 ATAS. I see on one sellers website that they "no not recommend" the 43L size on this bike. Does anyone know why? On rugged roads i can order it that way if i wanted to, just not in plain aluminum. I have a query into Bumot as to the why they do not recommend it, lets see if they answer.

If the 43l will indeed will work i think the 40/36 panniers with 43L top case would work perfect for me and i would have one key for everything which i like.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Honda hard panniers are the Givi Outbacks. I got the fuel can and the lid nets for my Honda ones. In the 2 months I've had this bike they have been great so far. Of course I paid a bit more since Honda is embossed into them. I don't know about the top box as I have a dry bag instead for trips and just use the panniers for my backpack and the tools/1st aid kit/puncture kit I carry all the time. Keyed to the ignition key so one key to rule them all.

On my previous bike I had SW Motech TRAX-ADV panniers and they were also great.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Honda hard panniers are the Givi Outbacks. I got the fuel can and the lid nets for my Honda ones. In the 2 months I've had this bike they have been great so far. Of course I paid a bit more since Honda is embossed into them. I don't know about the top box as I have a dry bag instead for trips and just use the panniers for my backpack and the tools/1st aid kit/puncture kit I carry all the time. Keyed to the ignition key so one key to rule them all.

On my previous bike I had SW Motech TRAX-ADV panniers and they were also great.
I noticed they looked a lot like the outbacks but with a cutout for the exhaust. Looks like they may be discontinued and also quite expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would definitely steer away from SW-Motech panniers for many reasons. They look pretty when they arrive in a cardboard box and their own bags, but that's where it all ends. Just my personal opinion after almost 14K miles on the road with a pair and NOT doing 'fancy' reviews with almost no miles with them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would definitely steer away from SW-Motech panniers for many reasons. They look pretty when they arrive in a cardboard box and their own bags, but that's where it all ends. Just my personal opinion after almost 14K miles on the road with a pair and NOT doing 'fancy' reviews with almost no miles with them.
Can you expand on your experience?

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Durability issues or otherwise? A guy I have ridden with has the SW-Motech on his Tiger 800 and he went down on some sandy gravel on a ride we were on. I was surprised the degree to which the racks had bent considering how relatively soft the soil was. They had to be bent back in place in order to refit the pannier. I believe some people have also had issues with water ingress with the panniers?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Problems with my SW-Motech rack on my 2018 Honda ATAS. The left rack would fit and has provided a good support for the left case (cases are another issue), but the right one would not fit at all and IMHO it's an 'ill' design. The rack touches the exhaust, holes do not align, does NOT provide adequate lateral support (in case of a fall in a parking lot) for the left case and a passenger is basically unable to use the right footpeg affectively. The right rack had to be basically redone (cutting, welding, painting, etc. = $$$) to make it somewhat functional. The rack system remains very flexible due to, and again IMHO, lack of any kind of lateral support, connections and weak welds. SW-Motech in Germany was completely useless with any kind of help. Now, if I could, I would choose a different brand for sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought the SW-Motech Trax Adventure cases last year. I was excited like a little kid in anticipation of getting them. They arrived beautifully packaged in their own SW-Motech bags, but soon the excitement ended. Please, keep in mind this is my own opinion after using them on my 2018 Honda Africa Twin AS for over 12,000 miles. The SW-Motech rack installation did not go well on my Honda ATAS, but that has been covered in a reply above. First, it was difficult to align all (4) bosses on the rack plate with grooves on the back side of the cases. I was somewhat able to install the bosses, so they ALL would equally take/share the load from the cases. The locking of the cases has been covered previously by others. I found it absolutely crazy, running around with my keys constantly handy to be able to unlock, lock, latch, unlatch, etc. The top of the case that mates with the lid has no reinforcing metal lip to ‘lock’ with the lid to create one solid unit. It has a reinforced plastic riveted rim that provides no structural integrity whatsoever in case of a simple fall at parking lot or garage, no mention of a fall while riding. Unless you are naive or Mr. Jimmy Lewis, you should expect to drop the bike sooner or later. Then you will bend the rim of the box and cause the box not to align with the lid any more. Even the slightest misalignment will allow the water to enter the box from small amounts to a massive pour, depending on how hard your fall will be and how much you will bend the ‘nonexistent lip’. Please, forget about fixing/aligning the top of the case on the road. It took a few clamps and an apparatus back at home to straighten the lip to a somewhat waterproofing condition. The cases look pretty but are (again IMHO) lacking the very important details to make them enjoyable, functional and long lasting. I had watched SW-Motech cases review youtube clips while drooling. Only now, I have realized those guys must have kept them in the garage and never used them. Hopefully this reply will help somebody to make a wiser decision than me. It’s all in the details!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I decided after a lot of deliberation to get the Bumot’s just ordered the entire deal from ATV motorad in the frozen grey color. Should be here next week sometime since they are only one state away :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts