Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and the africa twin, just traded in my 2012 1200 GSA for a 2020 adventure sports DCT on April Fools day. So far loving everything except the dct and wind protection...the dct will take some getting used to (right now its just strange), the wind protection can hopefully be improved with some accessories. My morning commute suddenly is a lot colder on the new bike. Overall happy with the purchase though and I think I'm really going to enjoy this bike.

I'm having a heck of a time finding any accessories. The dealer that sold me the bike wasn't able to pull up anything and said Honda will likely take a month or 2 before making them available. I was able to find a center stand, upper and lower wind deflectors, and the lowered seat on ebay. I've had no luck finding engine guards though. Even things like oil filter and dct filter part numbers (I'll be doing the 600 mile service myself) seem nearly impossible to find(not listed in the manual for some reason). I'm now a member of this community because I found these answers here.

Anyone else having these same struggles? Also, if someone can point me in the direction of quality engine guards that can be purchased or shipped to the states that would be much appreciated.

I'm sure the pandemic is the major player in my struggles, and I'm blessed that these are my struggles in this moment...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should follow up that so far the strangest thing with converting to a DCT is low speed maneuvers, like a u-turn, where I'm lacking confidence in my feel of the bike

·
Registered
172 Posts
Use your rear break with low speed manouvers.
Givi has launch complete line off products.
Heed in Poland has already protection bars
I know it is difficult shipping from EU, Japan to US on this moment. So you have to be patient.
But you can enjoy your bike also without these accessorie.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Welcome to the Forum R. McCarty.

Many of your answers should be found by using the search facility of the Forum. Example: Strong bike guards are available from AltRider.

And congratulations on your new acquisition of a 2020 ATAS! The DCT is fabulous and hopefully the "learning" curve will be behind you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As @DoubleThumper mentioned, do a search. I had posted the part numbers for all Honda OEM accessories for the 2020 models in an earlier post. As far as oil and DCT filters go, they are available from Partzilla. Learn to navigate through the parts fiche, and you should be able to order all the parts needed for the 600-mile service.

·
Registered
114 Posts
08P71-MKS-E00 engine guard
08P70-MKS-E20 light bar

These part numbers weren't active yet when I purchased my bike. When I log in to Honda it says FRD 4-15-20. I assume that means future release date.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the responses. This is website has already proven to be a great way to eat up any free time I have. I'm up to 180 miles now after 4 days(pretty good considering 2 little ones at home and in lockdown) and am getting a better feel for the DCT. I've been practicing my low speed maneuvers using the rear brake as suggested and that is helping, but it will take some time. I was comfortable taking a tight uturn on my fully loaded GSA on a hill, and still putting my foot down on the AT on flat ground. I thought I had checked the official honda website before for accessories but must not have. Thanks awork13 for giving me another outlet to drain my wallet. I'll keep doing some searching on the engine guards, but it seems I'll likely be waiting on this one for a little while.

A couple of observations/thoughts so far:
  • I love the corning lights. I saw some people say they were gimmicky, which is accurate when changing lanes on the freeway, but in actual twisties at night they are great.
  • Not a fan of the "drive" mode, especially going up steep hills. It seems to want to lug the engine too much for my liking, and overall up-shifts too fast. I've found S1 to be my go to driving mode.
  • The suspension feels great. Coming from the 2012 BMW I feel like I am floating on this thing. My bmw had ES and it was hard to really tell a difference when I changed modes. Not the case on this bike.
  • Carplay and bluetooth has its quirks. I use a cardo packtalk bold and music now comes in much louder, which is great with ear plugs. Currently I have to tell the bike to pair to the headset every time I turn it on. Hopefully I'm missing something to make this automatic. The track forward and back buttons work all the time when in bluetooth mode, but when using carplay they only work if you have the carplay screen displayed. Sometimes I have to turn my headset off and back on and re-pair to the bike(just from the bike menu) to get audio through the headset.
  • I'm a lot colder on this bike, wind funnels up from my shoulders into my helmet, and my legs are colder. I'm optimistic the wind deflectors will do the trick, if not I'll have to look into what gear options will take care of this. The GSA was great for wind protection.
I'm so happy I constantly called different dealerships to likely get one of the first ones delivered in the Bay Area! This is one beautiful bike and ride. I think I will be more than happy with the DCT, and can't wait to do my 600 mile service so I can see what kind of power she really has!

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. This is website has already proven to be a great way to eat up any free time I have. I'm up to 180 miles now after 4 days(pretty good considering 2 little ones at home and in lockdown) and am getting a better feel for the DCT. I've been practicing my low speed maneuvers using the rear brake as suggested and that is helping, but it will take some time. I was comfortable taking a tight uturn on my fully loaded GSA on a hill, and still putting my foot down on the AT on flat ground. I thought I had checked the official honda website before for accessories but must not have. Thanks awork13 for giving me another outlet to drain my wallet. I'll keep doing some searching on the engine guards, but it seems I'll likely be waiting on this one for a little while.

• I love the corning lights. I saw some people say they were gimmicky, which is accurate when changing lanes on the freeway, but in actual twisties at night they are great.
  • Not a fan of the "drive" mode, especially going up steep hills. It seems to want to lug the engine too much for my liking, and overall up-shifts too fast. I've found S1 to be my go to driving mode.
  • The suspension feels great. Coming from the 2012 BMW I feel like I am floating on this thing. My bmw had ES and it was hard to really tell a difference when I changed modes. Not the case on this bike.
  • Carplay and bluetooth has its quirks. I use a cardo packtalk bold and music now comes in much louder, which is great with ear plugs. Currently I have to tell the bike to pair to the headset every time I turn it on. Hopefully I'm missing something to make this automatic. The track forward and back buttons work all the time when in bluetooth mode, but when using carplay they only work if you have the carplay screen displayed. Sometimes I have to turn my headset off and back on and re-pair to the bike(just from the bike menu) to get audio through the headset.
  • I'm a lot colder on this bike, wind funnels up from my shoulders into my helmet, and my legs are colder. I'm optimistic the wind deflectors will do the trick, if not I'll have to look into what gear options will take care of this. The GSA was great for wind protection.
I'm so happy I constantly called different dealerships to likely get one of the first ones delivered in the Bay Area! This is one beautiful bike and ride. I think I will be more than happy with the DCT, and can't wait to do my 600 mile service so I can see what kind of power she really has!
Some tips on the DCT:Helpful info on the DCT
As for me: my 18ATAS DCT had literally 4miles on the clock when I took her up past 100, yea not a bright move cause I hadn’t even got her home to check that the dealer had tightened everything.
Modern engines are all “redlined” at the factory before they are even delivered. So yep had the front wheel off the ground a few times on my ride home from the dealers. Break in is for the rider and to make sure all the mechanical’s are good and not going to fall off as it were.
so I’m not getting the take it easy till x miles after the factory took this engine to its MAX (granted for only a second or two) Then give it to us and say “take it easy for a bit”
But this is just my personal opinion....

Reactions: Relhok

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts

Excellent. Be well, safe, and savor the discovery of what all is the AT DCT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some tips on the DCT:Helpful info on the DCT
As for me: my 18ATAS DCT had literally 4miles on the clock when I took her up past 100, yea not a bright move cause I hadn’t even got her home to check that the dealer had tightened everything.
Modern engines are all “redlined” at the factory before they are even delivered. So yep had the front wheel off the ground a few times on my ride home from the dealers. Break in is for the rider and to make sure all the mechanical’s are good and not going to fall off as it were.
so I’m not getting the take it easy till x miles after the factory took this engine to its MAX (granted for only a second or two) Then give it to us and say “take it easy for a bit”
But this is just my personal opinion....
Thanks for the dct tips link!

As far as no break in needed, I’ve heard the things you are saying before as well, a Yamaha dealer told me the same thing and said “don’t worry about how you ride it, just don’t keep the thing pegged the whole time on a 200 mile ride”. Since I commute on this bike I’ll likely be doing the 600k service in another week, so i can be patient just in case...

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Yea there’s nothing wrong with talking it easy for a bit. A shakedown if you will, making sure all the other bits and pieces are tight and working well. And too the rider getting comfortable on the bike and the way it handles. There are definite advantages to a break in period too..

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Feel good about breaking-in a modern 201x+ Japanese motorcycle. Unless you are "stunting", I doubt there is much harm you can mechanically inflict in the first 1000 kms.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Wind management on the AT is something of a know issue. You mentioned that you purchased wind deflector. Did you install the fork shield? (Swegotech Forkshield - The Updraft Deflector (CRF1000L Africa Twin)). I found that this one part as the thing that changed the wind issue for me. Also, I highly recommend the foot shifter for the DCT - trigger up through the gears and then use the foot shifter to downshift. I found the foot shifter to be a game changer for me. One caveat though in that the foot shifter can narrow down options for crash protection. I recommend Black Dog for compatible accessories (check this article: Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin 'Baja' Build - ADV Pulse). Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you know if the fork shield will fit the crf1100? The idea makes a lot of sense. They do not list it on their site...also sold out at the moment.

I’ve thought about getting the DCT foot shifter, but I’ve read people saying to put a lot of miles on first because you might come to like the triggers. I’ll go this route and if it doesn’t start feeling natural then I’ll likely go this route.

The low seat, center stand and lower wind deflectors I ordered should be arriving tomorrow. Uppers are coming hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Next on the list is likely some sort of handlebar risers and the hard to come by engine guards that I’m still searching for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you know if the fork shield will fit the crf1100? The idea makes a lot of sense. They do not list it on their site...also sold out at the moment.

I’ve thought about getting the DCT foot shifter, but I’ve read people saying to put a lot of miles on first because you might come to like the triggers. I’ll go this route and if it doesn’t start feeling natural then I’ll likely go this route.

The low seat, center stand and lower wind deflectors I ordered should be arriving tomorrow. Uppers are coming hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Next on the list is likely some sort of handlebar risers and the hard to come by engine guards that I’m still searching for.
My other bike is a Y-CCS FJR1300. I love trigger shifters, but I still ordered the foot shifter for my DCT. Sometimes my left hand is needed for my Cardo Packtalk, Navigation, or just to rub the wifey's leg. At those moments, it's nice to be able to click off a shift the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My other bike is a Y-CCS FJR1300. I love trigger shifters, but I still ordered the foot shifter for my DCT. Sometimes my left hand is needed for my Cardo Packtalk, Navigation, or just to rub the wifey's leg. At those moments, it's nice to be able to click off a shift the old fashioned way.
Ahhh, nice! Makes sense to keep both bikes similar so you don't have as many things to remember when you switch bikes. My 2 bikes ago bike was a 2016 FJR. Great bike, but I prefer the adventure style, and I find low down torque lets you play with the power at all stages of riding.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts