Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning phase for a 2020/2021 ATA-DCT acquisition next Spring. As part of that I'm looking at how I'm going to outfit the bike come Spring.

I really like long distance riding - may do the 3 Flags Rally come next Fall & find some gravel. Also looking at doing the TCAT, especially if COVID restrictions are in place. Riding will be on Gravel and Dirt where I can find it but likely on a lot of pavement as well (hoping to get a 50/50 mix but don't know if I'll be able). While I've ridden some single track I don't plan to do a lot of that.

I'll be getting upper & lower crash bars and a more robust skid plate up front. However, I'm now looking at what to do on the back. Should I go with hard bags or soft bags? I initially thought hard bags thinking that I'd have more fall over protection but in researching things it sounds like soft bags may be better on my legs if I tip over (no chance of a hard bag crushing a calf or other leg part). But, hard bags can be locked on whereas I feel that soft bags can be "broken into" way easier when I leave my bike outside during a Restaurant stop or overnight. Soft bags seem to be lighter - that's a GOOD thing. Soft bags can be compressed more to reduce the overall girth of the bike (although having done lane splitting in CA on a Gold Wing, "girth" isn't unknown to me). Oh, and soft bags are cheaper.

I'd appreciate any feedback. What am I not considering? And, more importantly, for the kind of riding I'm planning, does one system offer any clear advantages over the other. Oh and if hard bags, what size?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in same boat. looking for a system. Definitly will be soft panniers for many reasons.So far i have this list in excel....
Prices in CAD (excluding duties/taxes).
X-AdvX-Country Enduro bags20l/bag
376.39​
Green ChilieGCAG Uprising Luggage SystemNA
314.01​
Pecos Value Bundle20l/bag
274.21​
TuskHighland25/bag total of 80
589.88​
Enduristanblizzard XL17 L/bag
429.99​
Monsoon 330L/bag
449.99​
MoskoMotoReckless 4014L/bag
643.67​
Reckless 8025L/bag Total 80
978.51​

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great list. Let me (us?) know what you eventually pick.

In the meantime, I'm still at the "hard or soft" stage, not sure what to go with. I'm curious as to why you are planning to get Soft over Hard. When I look at the moskomoto Reckless 80L (I don't think 40L would be enough, when I backpack I have a 40L pack and I figure I'll carry more on an extended bike trip), it is really getting up there in price, enough that the additional price of hard bags isn't nearly as much of a deterrent.

I'm not planning an around the world trip but am interested in heading up North, all the way, as well as sections of the TCAT and perhaps the TAT if the borders ever open up. Having said that I'll be in populated areas from time to time and security is a potential issue I think.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I went hard panniers on my AT. My thoughts were, I will eventually have both. I knew I wanted to go with a symmetrical rack and mount a tool box or rotopax on the chain side. I went happy trails and got the off-season discount on rack and boxes. It's a heck of a deal. I've been extremely happy with this set up.

I've got some bigger trips to the west coast and Alaska I'm thinking about, probably in the next couple of years. This will give me plenty of time to find the right soft setup.... and quite possibly used. I'm not in hurry because I'm already set up. Being able to lock the aluminum boxes is huge when traveling, but for miles and miles of rugged off road, I'll want to run the soft.

This is just how my mental process worked with this. I'm not financially able to buy whatever I want, whenever I want it.... If I'm working all the time, I can't take trips!

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I pull the trigger I'm going with the Mosko Moto Reckless 80L. Until then, I have my Cortech 2.0 with top case. I doesn't "look" very ADV but it served me well on my Yamaha FJ09 on a 10 day trip through Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and California in July. 72 liters and only $250.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Choose both.
2017 AT. I bought Touratech SS frames which work well as rear crash bars.
Zega pro-2 hard cans for city, slab touring and easy gravel roads.
Wolfman Expedition saddle bags for outback rides easily mount to the Touratech frames.
Not napping.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've been happy with my Lone Rider Moto Bags. A good balance of the features of hard and soft luggage and they are lockable.
30,000+ kilometres and not a single issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode a friend's bike with hard cases, and I thought I was ready for this, but it got me anyway.

You dare not paddle, and you got to be real careful any time you put a foot down when you're in motion. If your boot jams on a rock or a root, and the bike keeps rolling, that hard case will ride right up the back of your leg.

The lower that front corner is, or if its sharp, it'll cause you some pain or injury. Learned me I never want hard cases.

Some soft cases do lock with a cable. Any hard case can be broke into, if they want to bad enough. Or just taken off the bike. Hard boxes do make handy camp furniture, tho.

The aluminium boxes are nice and light, but they're damned fragile for how much they cost. You see the soft bags taking more abuse. The steel boxes are way heavy for offroading.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Some valid points @Oakley Doakes

I'm sure there's a wide spectrum of quality and design involved amongst the various hard panniers.

I do take a bit more care off-road with the boxes on... Try to have more awareness that they're there. Motorcycles are dangerous.

On these, the lock is pretty fool proof and there's no way for them to come off without them being open.

Aa far as being tough, these have been down dozens of times, one was at about 30mph when my front tire slid into a muddy rut and into the ditch I went. No damage. Sure there's some scrapes, but short of being tboned by a car or riding the bike off a cliff, these boxes will keep on trucking.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I rode a friend's bike with hard cases, and I thought I was ready for this, but it got me anyway.
You dare not paddle, and you got to be real careful any time you put a foot down when you're in motion. If your boot jams on a rock or a root, and the bike keeps rolling, that hard case will ride right up the back of your leg.
The lower that front corner is, or if its sharp, it'll cause you some pain or injury. Learned me I never want hard cases.
Some soft cases do lock with a cable. Any hard case can be broke into, if they want to bad enough. Or just taken off the bike. Hard boxes do make handy camp furniture, tho.
The aluminium boxes are nice and light, but they're damned fragile for how much they cost. You see the soft bags taking more abuse. The steel boxes are way heavy for offroading.
Agreed - I NEVER paddle or duck walk with hard or soft cases. Anything technical I'm standing and any corner >30deg I'm standing. I've also removed the passenger pegs as they've bit me too many times even with soft bags.
If you do Dab, learn to put your foot wide so whether hard or soft cases your Achilles doesn't get run over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes on the "no duck walk". The vast majority of time duck walking means you are incompetent and have not learned how to ride at slow speeds. There are a few instances where it helps, offroad only and is useful but not many. All those pictures of Harley riders walking their bikes through intersections is just so painful to watch - just learn to ride slowly! Flame off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts