Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seem to remember hearing somewhere they were in the works and the LWU crew could have potentially gotten them for the show but didn't

·
Registered
76 Posts
My wife and I and some friends have ridden our ADV bikes to Sturgis several times and we always get some taunts and jeers
Maybe something along the lines of Pee-wee Herman in the biker bar scene?..... If you all went to Sturgis on ADV you're hardcore

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey gang,
There may be other or previous threads on this but, my son and son-in-law just sent me this video. It's a Harley ADV bike intro. If this is new, I was wondering if and when Harley was gonna venture into the ADV market.
Scott

They have been working on it for at least a couple of years. Teasers would show up from time to time. Hopefully they did their homework. It is a tough market to enter with well established competition. Harley cannot afford to get this one wrong. Harley's bikes have come a long way over the years. If test rides ever get going again, I would love to try one. I have ridden a few Harleys over the years but never found one I really wanted to own. I really like my Africa Twin. For me to buy a Pan America it would have to impress me far more than the Honda. That would be a high benchmark to meet.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Other pictures i have seen it does not look much bigger than say a KTM motor. Its just not buried by the frame and a bunch of body work which definelty would give the illusion that its massive. It is definitely showcased which given that HD makes it that is not a surprise at all. In some of the pics i have seen the motor looks more compact than the one in my old Multi 1200. Time will tell on how well they balanced the bike out. Harley only has one chance to get this right, they know it and by looking at the specs it looks like they did their homework. This is not the underpowered, overweight pig that everyone thought it would be by any stretch. Time will tell the story on whether or not they can steal some sales away from BMW, KTM, Honda etc.

In these pics it seems pretty compact or at least not wildly out of proportion compared to others in its class.

Compared to say this engine which is from the Multistrada 1260

Or this one from the KTM 1290
A nice collection of lumps, indeed.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Not sure if anyone has seen this video but i thought it was interesting.
Harley's marketing machine at its finest. The video captures the essence, the rest is up to the shopper.

The video was interesting.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Sorry about the Megaforce joke. But every time I see the front end of the Pan America I think about that movie bike or Bender from Futurama :)

View attachment 60441

View attachment 60442

Anything else is just speculation. My thinking is that they will try to go after the premium ADV bike market pricing themselves in at or above the BMW R1250GS and KTM 1290 Adventure. But they don't have the pedigree or experience of either. That said, it will probably do better than the Motoguzzi Stelvio in sales, simply because of the HD nameplate on it.
@Cuchulainn First time I saw a pic of the bike's nose my first thought was the Cylons from the TV series Battlestar Galactica!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree. But I realized that many bike manufacturers do an up charge for spokes. I know the spoked version of the Triumph ADV bikes charged more for the spoked option. Well just like the Harley it was a different sub-model. I think BMW also does the same for GS.

As a motorcyclist who also owns Harleys, it's nice to see them move into this century. I really like the lowering function as seat height when stopped has been my biggest issue with ADV bikes. The electronic package and a glance at the screen is nice to see. The looks, well, Not really a fan. But it's okay.

I'm seriously considering buying one. But will probably wait a bit to see what issues it encounters as a true first year model.

Spoked Wheels cost extra(n)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Rumors are floating around that there's a smaller 900cc something little brother in the pipeline.

With the hp and torque numbers of this mill, I'm really licking my chops as to what will follow. If this platform proves reliable, I might be really interested in the other offerings. Again, my AT stays, so this wont be in my near future. As an American, Harley is up there with baseball and apple pie and I'm really hoping that this can get them out of trouble for real. The price point of the livewire was an extreme disappointment and I think a black eye, but this pan am seems perfectly placed in the market. It's great to see Harley realize that they need to expand their demographic. And as a lifestyle brand, I think adv in general looks popular and profitable.

Did I hear revit is doing their gear?

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Considering the crew that @AT-Dragon rides with, what is he thinking about this new beast?
A while back I almost got a HD dual sport, had a chance to pick up one that HD made for military trials ( they didn’t get the bid).
BTW I’ll have you know; I’m a semiretired hoonigan, my average speed on gravel roads is only now in the 70-80 mph range and I only get the AT into the triple digits about once a week. And have been limiting my wheelies to just skimming the front wheel off the ground only a few inches, admittedly I will do a higher one when I get bored stuck in stop-n-go traffic.
So I’ve really calmed down in my old age...

Reactions: Amphib
21 - 40 of 83 Posts