Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
A while back I almost got a HD dual sport, had a chance to pick up one that HD made for military trials ( they didn’t get the bid).
BTW I’ll have you know; I’m a semiretired hoonigan, my average speed on gravel roads is only for n the 70-80 mph range and I only get the AT into the triple digits about once a week. And have been limiting my wheelies to just skimming the front wheel off the ground only a few inches, admittedly I will do a higher one when I get bored stuck in stop-n-go traffic.
So I’ve really calmed down in my old age...
Thats kind of a non answer. 🤣 Are you trying to convince yourself this bike doesn't meet your current requirements for restraint? 😂😂

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Thats kind of a non answer. 🤣 Are you trying to convince yourself this bike doesn't meet your current requirements for restraint? 😂😂
Just saying the bike fits me for a nice leisurely cruzer . By design it helps keep me outta trouble.
Probably why I love it so much and too in washouts and ruts the DCT really helps keep me on my toes and actually paying attention to what I’m doing (or really what I have to do next )..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just saying the bike fits me for a nice leisurely cruzer . By design it helps keep me outta trouble.
Probably why I love it so much and too in washouts and ruts the DCT really helps keep me on my toes and actually paying attention to what I’m doing (or really what I have to do next )..
I sure love mine too. Guys bash on its spec sheet, but throw that out and ride it, and for me it's perfect.

·
Administrator
2,402 Posts
I sure love mine too. Guys bash on its spec sheet, but throw that out and ride it, and for me it's perfect.
I don't know why people bash the AT on its spec sheet. It has more than enough power for what most people need.

Even KTM with its 150hp+ bikes cuts that power by about 1/3 in Off-Road mode. My KTM 1190 dropped the power from 148hp to 100hp in Off-Road Mode. Same for the 160hp 1290, it is reduced to 100hp in Off-Road mode. That's in line with the AT and that's fine. It doesn't have KTMs "Ready to Race" Sport Mode, but it's a great all-rounder that won't sometimes scare the :poop: out of you :)

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
216 Posts
It looks like Knight Rider's KITT car met a bulldog for an intimate encounter and this was the resulting offspring. I think it was a pretty bold move by HD and I'll definitely check it out. If that face has some great lighting behind it, I'd be even more interested. HD has done a great job with headlights on their bikes the last few years and I definitely appreciate that. If they put that new motor in something more sport oriented, I'd be even more interested. Too bad the Bronx is dead.

Could be a huge aftermarket for HD ADV body kits ...

Wouldn't sell my AT to buy one but could see having one if the garage if it lives up to the hype.

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Really, unless you are using a bike to race, all you really need is enough horse power to hop the front wheel over obstacles. Small lite and no horse power is FUN too. I’ve had unbelievably fun times on a Honda Trail 70, just flying down single tracks through the woods.
At a certain point HP becomes a hinderance, most ppl can’t use all that HP and even when they do, they use it wrong. At a point HP to weight becomes a “balancing act”.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know why people bash the AT on its spec sheet. It has more than enough power for what most people need.

Even KTM with its 150hp+ bikes cuts that power by about 1/3 in Off-Road mode. My KTM 1190 dropped the power from 148hp to 100hp in Off-Road Mode. Same for the 160hp 1290, it is reduced to 100hp in Off-Road mode. That's in line with the AT and that's fine. It doesn't have KTMs "Ready to Race" Sport Mode, but it's a great all-rounder that won't sometimes scare the :poop: out of you :)
To a degree I get it. I mean you and I both live in adv paradise. Our hp needs are different then someone who lives in Kansas city or Miami. When the orange fan boys start hating, oh its an appliance, as fun as a washing machine, slow, boring..... I understand what they're comparing it to. But the thing is, like you say, it's not practical in a true adv environment. Sure if they're being used as sport tourers, but I rarely need the majority of the power available to the AT. Torque yes, gimme all you got, but I don't need or want a bike for adv that does roll on wheelies in 3rd gear. And of course tying this all in with reliability and longevity.

·
Administrator
2,402 Posts
To a degree I get it. I mean you and I both live in adv paradise. Our hp needs are different then someone who lives in Kansas city or Miami. When the orange fan boys start hating, oh its an appliance, as fun as a washing machine, slow, boring..... I understand what they're comparing it to. But the thing is, like you say, it's not practical in a true adv environment. Sure if they're being used as sport tourers, but I rarely need the majority of the power available to the AT. Torque yes, gimme all you got, but I don't need or want a bike for adv that does roll on wheelies in 3rd gear. And of course tying this all in with reliability and longevity.
Honda made some compromises, but mostly they are sensible ones designed at making it global traveler and all rounder. They designed it so that it doesn't require premium fuel like the KTM, which is hard to find in some reaches. Or KTM'S/Moterex 10w 60 4T oil, which is also hard to find.

I really don't know that much about horses, so horse lovers forgive me if the anaology is wrong. But in my mind the KTM is more of an Arabian while the AT is a Quarter Horse. The AT may not be as fast, spirited or fun, but it will go the distance :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
@Cuchulainn First time I saw a pic of the bike's nose my first thought was the Cylons from the TV series Battlestar Galactica!

View attachment 60472
Heeeey,
I remember that show! How'd ya like to be wearing a helmet like that on the A/T and pull up to stop light and look over at the driver next to you?
Scott

·
Registered
464 Posts
Really, unless you are using a bike to race, all you really need is enough horse power to hop the front wheel over obstacles. Small lite and no horse power is FUN too. I’ve had unbelievably fun times on a Honda Trail 70, just flying down single tracks through the woods.
At a certain point HP becomes a hinderance, most ppl can’t use all that HP and even when they do, they use it wrong. At a point HP to weight becomes a “balancing act”.
Good points and I agree. I'm in the twisty mountains and you definitely don't need much hp to be fast here. Smooth is fast. But some of these squids think twisting the throttle wide open, brake hard into the turns, then wide open is fast. My AT hangs with sport bikes here, of course out in the open it's a different story. 23000 miles on my bike and I'd bet more than half of the miles are in 2nd gear.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Good points and I agree. I'm in the twisty mountains and you definitely don't need much hp to be fast here. Smooth is fast. But some of these squids think twisting the throttle wide open, brake hard into the turns, then wide open is fast. My AT hangs with sport bikes here, of course out in the open it's a different story. 23000 miles on my bike and I'd bet more than half of the miles are in 2nd gear.
I also like to take in and absorb the wonderful scenery while still upright in this world. The Africa Twin provides a reliable means for me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also like to take in and absorb the wonderful scenery while still upright in this world. The Africa Twin provides a reliable means for me.
Amen man. That's really what it is about. I'm not generally known for frequenting "other" bike threads. The reality is that I wanted a tool to access the things that make my life better, richer, to feed my spirit and expand my appreciation for nature and life. I feel pretty fortunate I ended up with the perfect tool for me.

There are times I get a little fomo of guys buying and selling bikes all the time, always searching for the one. I'm not talking about the connoisseurs who have the means to try everything, but I kinda feel bad for the guys that can never find happiness with a bike, always searching. The bike really is secondary to me, it's part of the overall experience, but not "the" focus.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
99 Posts

I could not agree with you more. Coming off a Multistrada onto an AT all of that rings so true for me. I actually bought the AT because of its engine. I find that the power delivery is a lot more friendly and one can actually use it. Especially 2 up and its a much easier bike to ride at slower speeds than my Ducati ever was. For me since i do a fair bit of city riding this is important and i find the AT to be a great tool for that while still having plenty of power for touring or 2 up riding. Some of my friends were shocked when i took a step "backwards"as they put it in power and asked why i would ever do such a thing. I just hand them the key and let them ride it, they have all understood pretty quickly where i am coming from. One of my buddies in in process of swapping his KTM1190 for a 2021 ATAS right now, he likes mine that much.

One test ride was all it took for me. As much as i loved the power that my Multi had and it was so fun to crank the throttle on it i simply could not use it without risking going to jail and i felt like in some ways it was a liability. What sold me on the Africa Twin was the day my wife and I rented an ATAS out in Vegas and did ~200 miles of riding on it. I remember commenting to her that i wanted one about 4 hours into our day. It just checked off all the boxes for me, good and stable on the freeway, good at slow speeds, comfortable for both of us and a good ride. After that day i knew it was the bike i wanted and I started searching on my ipad on the plane ride home and ended up taking my 2018 ATAS home 3 days after we landed back in Boston.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just don't be one of those guys who buys a bike, adds about $6K in accessories, only to sell it 6 months later with 3K miles on it to start again on a different bike :)

I know. It's crazy. I've told the story before of this '17 AT bike for sale near me. Altrider absolutely everything. Ohlins front back, custom seat. Totally kitted out with the best of the best. Only 5k miles. Sticker price at the dealer was $10k. Omg the loss on that bike. What did the dealer pay? $8k? They told me the guy traded it in on a '20.

·
Administrator
2,402 Posts
I know. It's crazy. I've told the story before of this '17 AT bike for sale near me. Altrider absolutely everything. Ohlins front back, custom seat. Totally kitted out with the best of the best. Only 5k miles. Sticker price at the dealer was $10k. Omg the loss on that bike. What did the dealer pay? $8k? They told me the guy traded it in on a '20.
He is probably lucky if they gave him 8K on anything but paper, if you know what I mean. The dealers will make it up elsewhere :)

Look for that 2020 down the road with 5K miles and a boatload of accessories for about $11K :D

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
216 Posts
This has been a surprisingly active thread and a lot more interest than I thought there would be in a Harley ADV bike. At the end of the day, I would prefer to support American companies and local businesses. Unfortunately for me, almost nothing I like to ride is made in America. Mostly because HD always made cruiser focused bikes and that isn't my gig so to speak. Same goes for Indian but came this close >< to buying a Chieftain but passed at the time because of very hot temps over the rear cylinder. The FTR really caught my attention too but I stumbled across a great deal on my 2020 ATAS and I bought it instead.

So I really hope the bike is as good as its spec sheet, if not better. At a minimum, I hope the motor is very good and HD finds a better home for it. From some angles I can almost get past how hideous the nose is. It looks like HD tried their implementation of the "corporate grill" like Audi or BMW does to link styling cues together between their models. It sort of looks like an electric razor meets and LED light.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS
37 Posts
I too am intrigued in this Harley, I’ll reserve comments on the look until I see it in the flesh. HD the company is a mess right now though, so I’d be worried about reliability. There constantly reporting losses in the quarterly briefs, they announced last month that they were going all electric and let’s not forget they are going to sell a rebranded Chinese bike as a HD...

41 - 60 of 83 Posts