Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lorry posted an impressive vid of him chucking his AT down several times on concrete, gravel and grass with his mid and lower crash bars. Would like some feedback if anyone here with them has crash-tested them, and how they've held up. TIA for any feedback.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have dropped the bike a few times on relatively flat ground at very low speed (0-5mph) with the Outback Motortek bars. I have them on a 2016 MT. They seem to do the job, but like all crash bars they should be paired at least with some real handguards to protect the hand levers.

Some pros/cons:
+Sleek, well made. Subjective, but I really dislike the look of crashbars with the prominent cross brace right under the headlight.
+Relatively easy install, but this is the only set of crash bars I have ever installed.
-You can't pull the battery out with the bars in place. Even the "tool compartment" that caps the battery box is a pain to get to from what I recall. I just leave that tool compartment off.
-On the right side of the bike the crash bars block a fuse box completely.
-I heard it doesn't work with the Remus headers.
-On rocky terrain you may have limited protection around the case and the upper plastics on the sides of the tank.
-I don't care for the small hardware that tie the crashbars together under the radiator. Small stainless button head cap screws that use something like a 3mm hex key to tighten.

Would I buy them again? Probably not, but I'm admittedly picky.
Do I regret the purchase? Nope, they've saved me $ in damage already, but I'm a little concerned with my engine/transmission case with some of the rocks around here.
What would I buy today? Maybe the Heed bars.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have dropped the bike a few times on relatively flat ground at very low speed (0-5mph) with the Outback Motortek bars. I have them on a 2016 MT. They seem to do the job, but like all crash bars they should be paired at least with some real handguards to protect the hand levers.

Some pros/cons:
+Sleek, well made. Subjective, but I really dislike the look of crashbars with the prominent cross brace right under the headlight.
+Relatively easy install, but this is the only set of crash bars I have ever installed.
-You can't pull the battery out with the bars in place. Even the "tool compartment" that caps the battery box is a pain to get to from what I recall. I just leave that tool compartment off.
-On rocky terrain you may have limited protection around the case and the upper plastics on the sides of the tank.
-I don't care for the small hardware that tie the crashbars together under the radiator. Small stainless button head cap screws that use something like a 3mm hex key to tighten.

Would I buy them again? Probably not, but I'm admittedly picky.
Do I regret the purchase? Nope, they've saved me $ in damage already, but I'm a little concerned with my engine/transmission case with some of the rocks around here.
What would I buy today? Maybe the Heed bars.
Thanks for the excellent feedback, much appreciated. Did you get the lower engine guards as well? Apparently they further brace the mid bars besides protecting the cases. I'm just not crazy about their appearance.

FWIW, the Heeds look the part, but everyone who's dropped them have said they've bent inward. One said even the lower part around the engine cases bent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Honestly I didn't know OM made lower engine guards or even upper crash bars until I read your post. It's obviously been a while since I checked out the site, thanks for bringing it up! The additional OM hardware is something I may consider, but I have also toyed around with the idea of making my own bars.

Thanks for the note on the Heeds, I'll certainly keep that in mind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Some pros/cons:
My battery came out without issue with the OM bars on, just took 3 seconds of extra wiggling. I agree with you regarding the hardware. I replaced all mine with better stuff for very little $$$...SC

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lots of drops on mine, still good to go. They are now a little closer to the fairing on one side than the other, but I did drop the bike somewhere around 20 times, lost count. Even a few pavement drops (tired being a dummy 16 hour riding day stuff). The quality of hardware did not raise any red flags with me. In my mind the forces required to break those areas would be in the bike totaling force zone. I have both crash bars and engine guards. Very happy with the bars. Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the crash bar/case guard combo with the matching skid plate. I've dropped the bike 3-4 times on each side off road at 5-10kms and they have done a great job. No damage to the bike and the crash bars are still straight. I agree that better hand guards are necessary and have been very happy with my bark busters so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just received my OM protection combo set

Just took delivery of my Outback motortek crash bars engine guards and skid plate combo, will fit them this week and see if I can't document the process and put up some pictures.

Kind Regards,

Robert

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just installed the Outback Motortek (OM) Crash and Engine Guards as well as the OM skid plate on my 2018 ATAS DCT. Awesome customer service from the U.S. rep Mark, and Lorry in the U.K. I am no expert mechanic so this was not a quick and easy install for me, but just taking my time got it installed. It looks awesome and seems to be of very high quality, very impressed. I initially just bought the crash and engine guards, and planned on using my Honda skid plate. The Honda skid plate will not fit without some bending modifications, and quite frankly I didn’t like the way it looked. So, I purchased the OM skid plate which is a very clean install and fits great on the bike, would recommend doing this.

I should have paid more attention when pulling the engine hanger through-bolts and factory spacers off the bike. I was missing the OM spacer and a couple of bolts from the original shipment, but Mark sent another set straight away. I’m not sure the bolts and spacer didn’t get included from the distributor, there was a small tear in the box when it arrived so it could have been lost by UPS. Anyway, the sequence of engine guard, spacers, bolts, frame etc… had me slightly confused. However, I got it figured out with Mark and Lorry's help and have attached a home-made diagram to help anyone else who is as careless as I am.

Yes, you can easily check oil level with these crash/engine guards installed. Yes, you can do an oil change on the ATAS DCT by only removing the skid plate…you have access to the DCT clutch filter without removing the engine crash guards. Be aware that you have to remove the black plastic protective cover of what I believe is the reduction gear housing on the right side of the bike. It won’t go back on unless you cut on it. Seems it is not really required so I left it off.

Overall, excellent product, excellent customer service, take your time installing, heed Lory’s advice and keep everything loose until everything is fitted. Definitely recommend buying from Mark, you get his site by selecting US on the official Outback Motortek site. I would definitely recommend this set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have dropped my AT with Heed crash bars, and there was not a scratch on them. I am thinking you would have to have one helluva fall to damage them. And after all, no crash bars are immune to damage...they are there to absorb the crash force to protect the bike. If they get bent and protect the bike...then they did their job!!!! WTF?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bit banged up but I'm ok. Would have been even better if my Klim Jacket and Sidi boots had arrived a few days earlier :D

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
My wife has battle tested the Outback Motorteck crash bars on her AT, they have held up great other than a few scrapes. MUCH better than she can say for the AltRider bars she had on her BMW F800GS on which the right bar vibrated itself apart on paved road trip between Denver and Hot Spring Arkansas <yikes>

·
Registered
116 Posts
My battery came out without issue with the OM bars on, just took 3 seconds of extra wiggling. I agree with you regarding the hardware. I replaced all mine with better stuff for very little $$$...SC
What hardware did you use?

I have dropped my AT with Heed crash bars, and there was not a scratch on them. I am thinking you would have to have one helluva fall to damage them. And after all, no crash bars are immune to damage...they are there to absorb the crash force to protect the bike. If they get bent and protect the bike...then they did their job!!!! WTF?
Adam Chandler on YT with bmw r1200gsa says Heed response to bending at 10mph is okay as it is only rated for one time use.
Youtube video >> lNY6Gm5-1tY

Sorry but I still cannot post links, noob conundrum :nerd:

Bailed hard at about 65km/hr on gravel, snapped off my right foot peg and brake lever. Outback Motortek crash bars and skid plate did their job to protect the bike other than that.
Glad to hear you survived, I'm a klutz so I ordered a set of OM bars yesterday to help preserve some value to the bike down the road.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For all the people rambling about the screws near the radiator, I'm not sure anymore if it is M4 or M5, but anyway common grade steel bolts of M4 can hold 510Kg before deforming and begin rupturing and a M5 can hold 823Kg, so with 2 screws, honestly I doubt you'll put enough stress that the motorcycle won't be totally destroyed anyway.

They are perfectly sufficient !

Mine has fallen many times on both sides and scrubbed the paint off them, but still no major damage on anything, they surely do the job adequately !

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just installed the Outback Motortek (OM) Crash and Engine Guards as well as the OM skid plate on my 2018 ATAS DCT.
My bars arrive tomorrow but got an email stating the bash plate was on back-order. Only reason I ordered OM was the OM Youtube video purposely testing the bars at ~3mph. A brief 20-30 minute search did not yield any actual Heed testing, just several testimonials written in bad English and photos with bikes laid down but not raised to see what if any damage was incurred. Heed is less than 1/2 the price but without proper testing I did not want to risk cracking the fairing and case covers especially with a DCT. Thanks for your review and great advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My bars arrive tomorrow but got an email stating the bash plate was on back-order. Only reason I ordered OM was the OM Youtube video purposely testing the bars at ~3mph. A brief 20-30 minute search did not yield any actual Heed testing, just several testimonials written in bad English and photos with bikes laid down but not raised to see what if any damage was incurred. Heed is less than 1/2 the price but without proper testing I did not want to risk cracking the fairing and case covers especially with a DCT. Thanks for your review and great advice.

The instructions that came with my full kit were a little bit lacking. Make sure to read them front to back then get a game plan. Once I went off script, things went smoother. Also mark you parts bags to prevent using the wrong size stuff with the wrong bar. The main lower mount between the forks is a pain because you need to mount the lower and mid bars together (not mentioned in the instructions), so lots of holding spacers/washers/kryptonite at the same time tying to get a bolt to line up. If you install the lowers, you have to undo some of the work you already did on the main lower mount to slap on the mid bars. You also ditch the factory center plates because they will interfere with the new mount. The rear most attachment point for the right side is another gem. I ended up elongating the upper hole a few mm's forward and up because no matter how much we tried, one hole would be off enough so a bolt would not thread. Speaking of threads, make sure you pre thread every hole on the kit as some of the powder coat gums up the hole threads. What else....Oh, Testors model paint in gloss white is perfect for covering up the install scratches.

There are 2 larger bolts and 2 smaller allen bolts that hold the stock light/crash bar behind the headlights. The 2 smaller allen bolts are known to be tight as a nuns corset. I stripped both of them and had to cut off the stock mount arms. No big deal but be prepared.

The skidplate attached separately and is removable in minutes for oil changes once you install the cross mount. 4 bolts and its off.

Total install time was about 9 hours including swearing and scratching my head. I could probably do it in 4 hours knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
FWIW for future people with similar dillemas, I've got the heed bunker bars and skid plate, and they have received a really good bashing (including this morning). My riding area is mainly in the Judean desert, which is a hard rocky place (not those curving sound dune deserts you see in the sahara), so when the bike falls it gets hit hard. So far there a quite a few scratches on the heed bars, but nothing to the bike underneath.
I'm very happy with them.

Here, now youv'e got one more review in bad English for you search :)

Reactions: Brianvision
1 - 20 of 28 Posts